Healthier yogurt

Options
Hey everyone. Just wondering what kind of yogurt people eat. I've never been a yogurt eater, but have found recently that I don't mind it as much as I used to, especially with some fruit and a tbsp of granola. The only worry I have is that the light yogurt I've been having seems ltoo sugary to really be good for me. Are there any healthier options out there?

Thanks! PS, not particularly a fan of Greek yogurt- not sure if it's the texture, or the sourness.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    plain yogurt -- no sweeteners. It comes in "regular" (unstrained) as well as Greek (strained) style. Add fresh or frozen fruit if you want, or however much or little of whatever sweetener you consider to be best. It's much more versatile than the presweetened stuff, as you can use it as substitute for sour cream and mayo in all kinds of savory dishes.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've started making my own :) Super easy! Blogged about it here: http://rekamirecreations.blogspot.com/2014/01/tasty-tuesdayhomemade-yogurt-success.html
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I eat Jalna Greek Style Natural Yogurt which is full fat and unsweetened. I use it for smoothies mainly. :)
  • NianMaya
    NianMaya Posts: 108
    Options
    I love Dannon's Oikos Greek yogurt! It's smooth and less chalky than other Greek yogurts.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating Dannon Fruit on the bottom. I also used to drain off all the liquid in the cup before I stirred it.

Then Dannon FOTB became hard to find, so I started eating Yoplait (original, in the red cup).

When I moved out on my own I started buying quarts of plain yogurt and adding my own fruit but I switched back to Yoplait because I just don't dig fat free yogurt and that's all I could find at the time.

Fast forward to wide availability of Greek yogurt and I started buying that and adding fruit. Then I added cereal and I learned of peanut butter and honey (both together and separate). I get the fat free stuff when Chobani or Fage is not on sale but when I can get higher fat Greek I go for that and it is so, so, so good. My dad buys the Carbmaster cultured dairy products and while some flavors aren't my favorite I do like the Key Lime and Banana Cream and will eat them when visiting.

My point in all of this? All yogurts are different and you might have to try them all before you find a real winner.

I like Dannon all-natural plain yogurt. I hate Dannon OKIOS Greek yogurt (this also goes for Stonyfield OIKOS Greek, yuck!)
    I like Yoplait original. I hate the Yoplait light. I haven't tried the new Greek.
    I dislike Kroger Greek yogurt almost to the extreme of hate but, will buy it as a last resort and put honey, peanut butter or cereal in it). I like Meijer and Wal-Mart Greek yogurt.
    I like Chobani Greek yogurt. I like Fage Greek yogurt and I love it with higher the fat content.

I've tried a few other brands in there as well...
    Wallaby (Love! Wish I could still buy it in my area.)
    Müller (only had one cup but didn't like it enough to even try another kind)

And some others I can't think of in the middle of the night and there are so many others I can't wait to try.

Finally, I have no comment on the healthiness of foods other than to say only you can decide what's healthy for you.
  • raaachelmarie
    raaachelmarie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The Fage Total 0% is my favorite :) I like to mix it with a little honey and some almonds.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    if you don't like yoghurt why eat it? I personally eat the sweet and creamy full fat greek yoghurt, but I suspect that might not pass your criteria for 'healthy'.
  • brooookeexo
    brooookeexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    By healthy I just mean not so loaded with unnecessary sugar. But I have started to like it again, which is why I figured I'd get some suggestions before trying new ones. Thanks for all the replies!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I buy plain and add honey. If I can get blueberries at a decent price I add those, too.

I told DH there are only two allowable ingredients in the yogurt I buy: milk and active yogurt cultures!
  • Abscominsoon
    Abscominsoon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Krogers CarbMaster Yogurt. They have a bunch of different flavors, all have 60 calories, only 4 carbs and 8 - 9 grams of protein.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    it's different for everyone. I didn't think I liked greek at first but after eating it for over a year, I prefer greek over regular.

OIKOS cherry (fruit on the bottom) greek yogurt 0% is MY favorite. I find it's not as chalky/dry as other greek yogurts. The PC (superstore) greek yogurt is pretty good too. Liberte vanilla greek isn't too bad (costco for cheap)
    For regular yogurt, I like the texture and taste of Activia.
    I don't like anything with sweeteners, I find it too runny and I don't like the taste at all.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Krogers CarbMaster Yogurt. They have a bunch of different flavors, all have 60 calories, only 4 carbs and 8 - 9 grams of protein.

I LOVE CarbMaster yogurt! I can only get it when one of my coworkers goes shopping for us all and brings it in (she's the only one that lives nearby a Kroger, unfortunately - they need to open some in Maryland!), though.

When I can't get that, I usually settle for Yoplait Greek 100 (not the blended, that's higher in calories). I haven't been able to tolerate plain with mix-ins, at least not yet (I'm trying to "train" my tastebuds to like it).

I use plain Greek yogurt for all of my recipes that require mayonnaise or sour cream, though (especially potato salad). It's delicious and you can't tell the difference.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I get Fage 0 greek (1 cup) 130 cal, ( (they also do single serving 100 cal cups, Walmart and a few other chains carry it) 23g protein, 9g carb, 0 fat 9g of sugar. I use it in everything ( in place of anything calling for sour cream ect ) and when i just want a sweet yogurt i will do cinnamon splenda n a half a sliced apple, or some berries with a touch of vanilla extract ect.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Chobani is all natural.
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like plain Fage 2% Greek yogurt.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Eco Greek yogurt or Skyr (Icelandic yogurt), both plain.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    High fat greek. Would never consider anything else.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    0% Plain greek yogurt.
    I add flavour with vanilla extract, fresh or frozen fruits, organic jam (no sugar, no artificial sweetener), a teaspoon honey, dark chocolate chips (i put them in the microwaves for one minute before adding the yogurt), granola, nuts, dried fruits (be careful for them not to have added sugar), cereals, chia or flax seeds, almond butter...
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I make my own by the gallon ~ heat one gallon of milk in a crockpot on high for 3 hours or so. Add stevia to taste. Vanilla to taste. Add a half cup of powdered milk if you want it even thicker. For custard style I add 2 TBSP of Knox gelatin (I buy in bulk from the Amish). Stir everything together until well mix. Cool to 120 degree and mix in about a 1/4 cup of yogurt from a previous batch or something you bought (plain or vanilla). Put into containers and stick in my dehydrator (Excalibur) for 5-6 hours on 105 degrees. If you don't have a dehydrator put the containers or the crock in an oven with the pilot light on overnight OR you can wrap the crock in towels and leave it sit on the counter for several hours...There are tons of ways to do this. Makes 4 quarts of yogurt for about a dollar or less depending on milk prices in your area. I use whole milk, but you could use 2%...

Edited to add: my stevia to taste is about one cup or a cup and a quarter.

Also for those who don't like the price of greek yogurt buy plain yogurt and put it in a strainer with a coffee filter or cheese cloth and let it sit overnight or a few hours. All Greek yogurt is strained yogurt to drain off the extra whey/liquids.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you don't like yoghurt why eat it? I personally eat the sweet and creamy full fat greek yoghurt, but I suspect that might not pass your criteria for 'healthy'.

this