Snowboarding...

Options
FirecrackerJess
FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
Anyone snowboard? I have a chance to go with my school to a place to go snowboarding/skiing. Aside from the 65 bucks they want, I'm a bit unsure if I'd be able to due to my weight. I've always ALWAYS wanted to try it but never have because of being overweight. I have this fear like I'll get on a board and just not move, you know?

Anyone on here on the plus side whose gone?

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Never pass on a chance to learn something new.
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    I know but I've seen snow like 3 times in my life, I'm not sure how it would work for me, and although its with my school, since I don't live on campus, I don't really know anyone that is going. So if I go, I wanna know if I'm just going to embarrass myself.

Yep, I got insecurity issues. I'm not gonna lie.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You will have to learn on the bunny slopes. You will fall. You will laugh it off. And you will get back up. You'll also meet new people. If you learn to admit that you have no clue what you're doing, and learn laugh at yourself, you will be amazed at how people welcome and take time to help.

Take it from a guy who put off life until his 30s and trust me on this one. Go play.
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    I have until the 28th to sign up. Going to see if I can get more info. Like will they make us wear special clothes, cause going and finding out the clothes is too small would suck. So I got 5 days to figure out the money part, and 5 days to find more out. I'll ask at the gym when I go tomorrow since I go to my schools gym.

Thanks for the positiveness, even though it eludes me lol.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I ski, rather than snowboard. But it is the ONLY thing I enjoy about the winter. And I really do love it. Go! I've been skiing overweight.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I ski, rather than snowboard. But it is the ONLY thing I enjoy about the winter. And I really do love it. Go! I've been skiing overweight.
    This^ I started 2 years ago and it was amazing! It takes time and they will help you learn. Take it at your own speed and be ready to feel muscles you never knew you had!

Have fun!
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    Well I'm still working on my assignment. I have until midnight the 28th to sign up. I emailed someone whose email I was given for more info on the trip but have not heard back. Either they didn't work today, er yesterday (since its Sat now), or they just aren't getting back to me yet.

I do wanna go, but anyone in my RL I've told has scoffed at me and told me I'm crazy and going to hurt myself or that can't do it cause I'm too big.

So yeah, not real positive people around me.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Go! Please.

I went skiing a couple weeks ago at 350lbs.

I've been skiing at 400+ pounds...
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    Go! Please.

I guess I'm scared that we get there and we have to put on snow ski gear and things don't fit. Or I get on a board and I don't move. Insecurities suck.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Go! Please.

I guess I'm scared that we get there and we have to put on snow ski gear and things don't fit. Or I get on a board and I don't move. Insecurities suck.

You'll be fine.

You'll have fun.
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    Well, I signed up to go. Don't know how it will go but I signed up and paid, so I'm going. We shall see what happens. Thanks for all the replies!
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Well, I signed up to go. Don't know how it will go but I signed up and paid, so I'm going. We shall see what happens. Thanks for all the replies!

Yay! I am happy you decided to go. I have been boarding for about 4 seasons or so now and I love it. I have seen people of all weights, sizes and fitness levels on the hills. When you get there, they will take you to the bunny hills to learn (low sloped hills). And trust me, gravity works regardless of your weight. You won't get stuck :)

In terms of gear, if your boots feel too tight, please do not be too embarrassed to keep trying on new pairs until you get a set that fits properly. If your feet are not comfortable when you board, nothing is comfortable.

Have fun!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. I have seen people of all sizes on the slopes. They aren't going to make you wear anything special, just wear your own warm winter clothes. You will fall, you will look clumsy but it is all part of the learning curve.

One of the great things about life is trying new things....just go!!!
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    Well I'm not one whose usually on the positive side haha but I'm hoping I have a good time. I'm not feeling that well today but sick or not I am going! I don't throw away money lol.

I rented some snowboarding pants, gloves and regular snow boots for however long until we get into the board boots I assume we change into. Found someone who rents out of their house on craigslist for 5 a piece! Got some thermal/warmer under clothes and tomorrow... Well later today going to look for a shirt to wear over the thermal. Got one but its too tight, well tighter than I'd like lol. I am just going to wear my regular jacket... Unless I find a super good deal on a sale one. Saw this awesome one at Walmart but for 45 and too small. It was real nice though, not something I think they usually carry. The brand was Iceburg. Ordinarily I wouldn't spend so much 65 for the trip, 15 on the rental, 65 deposit (I get back as long as I don't ruin the pants, boots, and gloves), 16 on thermal, and still need a shirt cause I don't have anything that covers the thermal, all my shirts have a wider like neck line. What do you wear over that? But I did my taxes today so I'm treating myself with the anticipation of what I should get back. The rest will go to savings and bills as I'm still not working.

I'm going to Snowbowl in Flagstaff Az so not sure if I'll need all the layers but the last time I went to snow it was a miserable experience and we all stayed in the van.

My knee's been hurting (its messed up, crunches when bent or going up stairs), I did Les Mills BodyCombat twice this week, gonna take it easier so I'm not hurting Sat.
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    So I called to see when we would get our info on where and when to meet and they are waiting on someone to pay. If they don't, the trip gets canceled for not meeting the minimum amount of people.... I am annoyed. Finally make a choice to go, rent some clothes and it looks as if it's gonna get canceled.

Ugh.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I love snowboarding.

I have gone every year for the past 8 years or so and some of those years I was over 200 pounds.
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    Anyone snowboard? I have a chance to go with my school to a place to go snowboarding/skiing. Aside from the 65 bucks they want, I'm a bit unsure if I'd be able to due to my weight. I've always ALWAYS wanted to try it but never have because of being overweight. I have this fear like I'll get on a board and just not move, you know?

Anyone on here on the plus side whose gone?

I snowboard in Snowshoe, WV three or four times a year.

I'm heavyset and I do fine snowboarding. Don't worry, when you get pointed down the slope the board will move. For me it was harder to initially learn to snowboard compared to skiing but snowboarding is easier to get good at once you get the hang of it. IMO
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    As of now, it don't look as if I'll find out. This always happens, finally let myself get into something, try, and then its canceled, gone, over, etc.

I'm not lucky.
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    Well, for anyone who may still see this thread, to all of you who commented and told me to go. After the trip was canceled I sort of stayed bummed out. I was finally going to try something out of my comfort zone, and it didn't happen.

Well yesterday I returned the unused rented snowboard pants and boots and gloves, and then today 3 friends because of me decided to go Sunday. So, as it stands I may just get to try it after all!

So as of now, possible trip Sunday!
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    One of the main things to remember is bend your knees slightly and don't be rigid. Be flexible. It's a lot like riding a skateboard. When you turn you twist or flex the board.to turn right you lift the front and put pressure on the back and lean slightly back. To turn left you push down of the front and lift your back heel. It's all about flexing the board. You kind of squat as you ride staying flexible and that's about it.

You are going to catch some edges end bust you @ss many times, but by the end of the first day you'll get the hang of it enough to really enjoy and want to go back for more.

Let us know how it goes!