Anyone that has been successful but lost weight very slowly?

Options
13»

Replies

• Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    After I lost the first 40lbs.... it slowwwwwed way down. ive gone many months without loosing anything. But changes things around some days does me justice.

i've lost between 55-60lbs total.. and have about 8lbs till my original goal weight but alot more toning to do.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    hey cheer up. I felt that way too. I am petite in height and mostly sedentary but sometimes or thrice a week I do exercise to be active and I was still losing weight at 2-3 pounds per month.

right now, I am at plateau.. grr, my body wants to eat more and be more active. uggh.

anyway anyway, my point is, losng weight slowly but surely is okay, and thats the best way to being succesful on your weight loss.

Good luck!
  • bryterlayter
    bryterlayter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit silly claiming to be a success story, but damn it I'm pleased with my progress! I've been working on it for over two years. I've had setbacks ( put back on 13 pounds) and had a few months of no weightloss. I'm a slow and steady kind of person, I knew that if I cut all of the junk out and started extreme exercising, I wouldn't last a week. The hardest part is staying motivated when you can't see a change quickly (I'm also 5.11 which makes weightloss seem even slower!) I just have to constantly remind myself why I'm doing this. I think every obese person can testify that there are daily reminders as to why being overweight is tough. More positively, to really celebrate the small successes along the way (fitting into a new dress size or getting a compliment about how good you look) and hold onto these things when you're having a rubbish day and want to quit.
    I should also say that I was the opposite from lots of people, the first 20 pounds took me ages, however it gave me the confidence and ambition to make the next part go a lot faster. Also Im building up my fitness level so exercise is so much easier now, not to mention the fact that I'm carrying around less weight. I've lost 54 pounds so far and most of that has been in the last six months. I still have another 21 pounds more to go, but I feel so motivated by my progress so far that I feel like it's finally within my reach.

Most of all I've found these boards to be huge motivators. Everyone is different, I hated the idea of weight watchers (being weighed in front of all those people!) I'm so shy about my weightloss, I don't tell anyone about being on mfp and I don't have any friends here or pictures. I just feel like this is a very personal struggle and one I've had all of my life, changing the way I think about food and health is going to be a lifelong battle and one I feel I needed to start alone. Seeing how others have overcome their own issues and succeed is so encouraging. I'm slowly starting to open up and talk to friends about it. Also I'm trying to contribute a little to these boards that have helped me so much.

I wish you the best of luck. I want you to know that if I can get this far you can too!

X
  • mrsward2010
    mrsward2010 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I will also add that while losing weight slowly isn't totally amazing like it is on the Biggest Loser, it does teach you what it takes to lose weight and keep it off. I've lost weight quickly in the past and once I stopped dieting I started to gain again. I had not learned how to eat reasonable amounts of food. Any loss is better than gaining or maintaining. Each of us has to accept how our bodies work and also that once we reach *ahem* a certain age it doesn't come off as quickly anymore.

i echo this!!! most ppl (me included) wants big losses every single week and watching shows like biggest loser where they are losing 10lb each weeks makes us think we can do it too! Unfortunatly most of us havent got the time to be working out for 2hours plus each day so slow and steady is deffo the way to go. The more weight u have the bigger losses youll start with but will eventually even out. I started at 280lb in december 2012. My aim was to lose 80lb by december 2013 but that didnt happen. weight loss started quick and then when i got to 238lb it really slowed down losing 1lb every 3 weeks or so. but then took a break over xmas (new years day i was 225lb) and as of today im 209lb taking me down to a 71lb loss im 14 months. It can be hard but keep at it and dont lose focus! good luck!! xx
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Here are my two cents. Obviously not worth much....

I think the answer depends on two parameters: your diet and exercise. IF you are having a perfect diet and say working out four times a week. Like no sugar, cardio..perfect macros. Then I would take a look at your diet in detail, maybe check on hormones like thyroid, hours of sleep. It could be simply your body changing composition.

But if you are simply cutting back a few calories, are very comfortable with your current diet - then awesome - keep on the same path. Great work already as showing in your profile picture.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Down just about 40 lbs from my high on January 2011. There were ups and downs during that time but the last year has been slow but steady downward trend. Started Crossfit Feb 4th of 2013 and it has really changed my life. SO though I don't like the SLOW part I like the steady and KEEP IT OFF part. I have 13 more lbs I want to lose. That is why I joined myfitnesspal. Hoping to ramp up my eating plan to get be to my goal of having lost 50 lbs.

YOu can do this.. and slow is really the best even though it bites some times during the process.
  • lfabbric
    lfabbric Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight slowly over the period of 2 year.

Why not be more aggressive? Go 2 months being very aggressive with weekly refeeds and then go on maintenance for a month or two? You will see large drops and then eat normally getting excited to diet again. The maintenance will also help teach you how to eat at the lower weight, which in my and most everyones experience, is the reason for the yoyo.

Just a thought.
  • thrillho3
    thrillho3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.

It's discouraging to lose slowly, esp. when you compare your rate with others', but you know what's more discouraging? Not losing at all. Most discouraging? Gaining.

I started in July 2013 with the hope of losing 50lbs by July 2014. It's been 7 months and I've only lost 15lbs. I think about why I've been losing so slowly, and the answer is, I've been living my life. I've been adjusting to weight loss. I've gone through several very stressful months (work/family issues) where I didn't lose a pound--but I didn't gain either. I don't deny myself anything, but if I eat "over" my allotted calories, I try to eat under or workout harder another day. I take a lot of pictures. I take a lot of measurements. I weigh myself every day, but I don't update my weight check-in unless I've lost. It's stayed at 200lbs for 2 months--and I'm in the "ONEderland" group, ha! I try not to be discouraged by that, but I'm adjusting my calories and my workouts to get back on track.

As long as we're headed in the right direction--moving more, eating healthier, not gaining--the rate will be what the rate will be.

Great job so far, and it will only get better from here!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    i have been seriously logging since Sept 13 2013 and have only lost 17lbs, i get frustrated at the slowness but try to accept it but it is hard when you see others losing 2-3 lbs per week

good luck with your journey
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I started in July 2011 - I have loss about 70 pounds, that averages out to 3.68 pounds per month. I exercise (cardio mostly) and count my calories. Right now I am a size small top and 12/14 bottom. The smallest I recall being as an adult was a 10 top, 12 bottom (but those were the pre spandex/lycra days).

I truly believe that going slow allows you to learn how to eat in the real world, the changes that you make will be easier for you to maintain long term because you can allow yourself to eat things you enjoy while learning about portion size and self-control without denying yourself for a short period of time just to lose weight.

Do not give up, it is so worth it in the long run, just the health benefits alone make a difference. Work with your doctor realize that though the scale may be moving slowly there are many other ways your body is benefiting from these changes. Maybe try keeping measurements for a while, I lose inches before pounds (not always where I want to lose them from :smile: )
  • Kallie3000
    Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you - 25 pounds is an amazing accomplishment, and you are doing it in such a healthy way. I have lost and gained and lost and gained weight throughout my life, and now I've talked a registered dietician, I'm eating more, and I'm losing weight slower, and with 100% emphasis on nutrition. I'm expecting a much slower weight loss too.

Stories like yours are even more inspirational to me than stories about quick weight loss, so thank you so much for posting this thread!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!