Weight loss and lean body mass

Options
I've started tracking my body fat % and calculating lean body mass.

I've noticed that for every 3lbs lost, 1lb is lean body mass. My body fat % is currently 23.9% (measured through my scales).

Despite this, my physical strength and endurance are definitely increasing.

Should I be worried about the apparent loss of lean body mass?

Replies

• sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! If you lose one pound of lean muscle for every 2 pounds of fat then you have already lost 6 pounds of muscle?!? If your body truly is consuming that much muscle you are literally eating yourself. First and foremost get you protien every day every meal every time.

I suspect you measuring could also be off. Measuing BF accurately and consistently is not any easy thing to do. If you are using body impedience it is totally useless. If you are using calipers and multi site measurements then you may still be off.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I've noticed that for every 3lbs lost, 1lb is lean body mass. My body fat % is currently 23.9% (measured through my scales).

Do you mean "lean body mass" or do you mean "non-fat".

If you are thinking that, say, 25%BF of 200 pounds means you have 150 of muscle, then you'd be mistaken. That 150 pounds is made up of skeleton, water, waste, food, muscle, tendon, blood, etc, etc....

As a comparison, I'm down 51 pounds in total and I calculate that 43 pound sof that is fat, using (somewhat inaccurate) bioimpedence scales. How are you faring?
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is using body impedance on the scale so not necessarily the most reliable, I know.

That's why I wanted to check - my gym results are massively increased over the past month. It just doesn't make sense in my mind that I would be stronger, lighter and have less LBM.

Monday to Friday, I only really have high protein content in my evening meal - about 10g to 15g during the day and 40g to 60g in the evening.

I've put together a nice protein drinking porridge that would give me 30g in the mornings so I guess I need to get that into my routine now.
  • sunryzer
    Options

Do you mean "lean body mass" or do you mean "non-fat".

If you are thinking that, say, 25%BF of 200 pounds means you have 150 of muscle, then you'd be mistaken. That 150 pounds is made up of skeleton, water, waste, food, muscle, tendon, blood, etc, etc....

As a comparison, I'm down 51 pounds in total and I calculate that 43 pound sof that is fat, using (somewhat inaccurate) bioimpedence scales. How are you faring?

Lean body mass which I've always understood to be "non-fat" weight (as opposed to lean muscle which is just muscle weight).

It means, in theory, the drop in mass could be water weight, muscle wastage or drop in bone density.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A loss of ANY lean body mass (muscle) is absolutely unacceptable...

While in a deficit you have to do everything you can to hang on to the muscle you have. In other words you still need to be lifting weights and using the same weight you were using before or trying to increase the weight you are using by a little.

If you just started working out use a well designed lifting program focusing on progression, and make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet.

Bottom line is, your body doesn't care what it uses for fuel and while you are in a deficit it will use muscle just as readily for fuel as stored fat. You have to give your body a reason to hang onto the muscle and use the fat for fuel. Some muscle loss is inevitably going to happen but you should do everything you can to minimize it.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    This is using body impedance on the scale so not necessarily the most reliable, I know.

That's why I wanted to check - my gym results are massively increased over the past month. It just doesn't make sense in my mind that I would be stronger, lighter and have less LBM.

Monday to Friday, I only really have high protein content in my evening meal - about 10g to 15g during the day and 40g to 60g in the evening.

I've put together a nice protein drinking porridge that would give me 30g in the mornings so I guess I need to get that into my routine now.

If you just started lifting you will gain strength without gaining muscle. Your joints, connective tissues, and nervous system are becoming more efficient.

Sounds like you are low on your protein. You should be aiming for 1 gram per pound of body weight, (example,180lbs. = 180grams)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

If you are only getting appx 75g of protien in a day even 100 you are not getting enough. I eat 120g min a day to help maintain my muscle mass...

Strength gains are good but not the end all if you are losing muscle.

Since I started lifting I have maintained my LBM pretty consistently by getting enough protien...most of what I am losing is fat.
  • sunryzer
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll set about increasing my daily protein intake rather than just loading it on big workout days.