C25K - Having the Confidence To Get Out There?

Options
Hey All,

I'd really like to start C25K. I think about it, get pumped, but then as soon as I go to get out the door, I just feel really self conscious and don't want to be seen running around. I live in a really small village... So I'll be seen by a lot of people I know.

How do people combat this?

PS I have no access to a treadmill. Only outside. :)

Replies

• PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Do you normally walk around your village? When you start C25K it is mostly walking in the beginning with a few short bursts of running. If you are not already comfortable walking in your area why don't you try that a few times first to see how it feels.
    Then it shouldn't be much different when you add a little running in.
    Good luck and remember to have fun with it. :flowerforyou:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Seriously, who cares if someone sees you? Find a field and run around and around it.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I just restarted c25k this week.. I hate running out side where people can see me even if I don't know them cuz I don't like to be judged by people ... but I get out there and get it done.. I put in my head phones and dont worry bout others... if you want friend me and we can do it together even if it is over the internet..
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am not always the most powerful, self-confident person for myself, but when I start having these thoughts, I ask myself "Who is going to win?" Which "me?" The "little one" who keeps me small, or the "big one," who wants fun, joy, greatness, etc. Life is too short to not do what you want to do because of the thoughts you have about other people's thoughts.

Also, I am not in the best shape and am very slow. Frankly, no one seems to notice. People are in their own heads living their own lives. After I got out there a few times I was more concerned with runner-things -- like my pace and the crazy dog down the street. This may happen to you, too. Think how cool it will be to be running 30 minutes at a time in a few weeks! It really is awesome!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when I first started running. But, now I simply can NOT run indoors. I love running outside. People I know will honk at me as they ride by. No one I know has said anything other than complimentary things to me. And, if someone is thinking something snarky....i have no way of knowing it. Don't let your own negativity and maybe thoughts you've had about others you've seen out running keep you from pursuing a healthy goal!!
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you can, go find a bike path, a country road or something like that and start there. Find a way to do it. Don't worry about what others think. Remember you're out there doing it while they are sitting watching life go past. Just do it.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I seriously felt that way, too. Just get out there and do it and soon you won't even give it a second thought. Promise. Get out there!!
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am not always the most powerful, self-confident person for myself, but when I start having these thoughts, I ask myself "Who is going to win?" Which "me?" The "little one" who keeps me small, or the "big one," who wants fun, joy, greatness, etc. Life is too short to not do what you want to do because of the thoughts you have about other people's thoughts.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS! Also, you never know who may see you running and get inspired by you! JUST DO IT!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

I'd really like to start C25K. I think about it, get pumped, but then as soon as I go to get out the door, I just feel really self conscious and don't want to be seen running around. I live in a really small village... So I'll be seen by a lot of people I know.

How many runners did you see today?
    Did you count them?
    Do you remember their faces?
    How many were running?
    How many were walking?
    Do you really think you are so special that people will pick you out from a crowd?

Seriously though, once I realised that no-one gave two hoots whether I was running (or walking) I found I was far less self-conscious.

Do it once and see how you get on. Set yourself up some kind of treat for getting round (pour yourself a glass of wine before you set off - something like that)
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    People are not even paying attention to you, most of the time wont even notice you. You have to overcome that fear that everybody is watching you, and it will be worth it. Just do it... and that stigma will go away! Beside who cares who others think? Maybe you will encourage someone else to get heathy or give someone else the confidence.
  • scottysmith42
    Options
    I understand your feelings. I really do. I started C25K eight weeks ago and I love it. I am running in my first 5k March 1. I run before the sun comes up, so nobody really sees me.

(Note: I also carry a flashlight to let cars know I exist.)
  • CrossFit_kitten
    Options
    I echo everyone about but if it's really a problem, go stupidly early in the morning or really late at night
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have driven myself over to a local land reserve (next town over) and run there -- it's nice because no one knows me there and very few people are around this time of year! Mostly it's nice because no cars!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I run around my small neighborhood all the time. There's no place else for me to run, either. I run and walk in intervals, just like you'll be doing when you start C25K (except I'm doing it for half marathons now!) because I'm happier with that method. When I do run, I'm certainly not fast. The most I get from people driving or walking by is a wave and a "Hello!" Think about how YOU react when you see someone running. Do you really notice them? Do you actually judge them? Or do you think "I wish that were me"? Most people really aren't going to think one thing or another. They're too busy thinking about where they are going or some little worry in their life, not the lady they just passed who is out there doing something they would never even think of doing.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

This is a good thing. Just dont care about what other people think.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just get out there and do it, who cares who sees? I can't imagine that anyone is going to think less of you because you run.

I am doing C25K also, I am starting on a treadmill, but not because I don't want people to see me, its just because I have a bad ankle (not currently injured, just very prone to injury) and I can't chance stepping in a pothole and being sidelined at this point in my weight loss.

I may move my running outdoors after I reach my goal weight, but right now I don't want any injury halting my progress.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

People generally only see you for a short period in your run, they have no context for the rest of your session. I was thinking this the other day hen I was out, cars passing me see me for 30 seconds in an hour long run, they might see me fairly fresh and going flat out, they me see me in my recovery period when I'm panting and going what feels like very slowly.

It doesn't matter, I'm out and pounding the tarmac.

The first time people see you it's unusual, the second time you're setting a pattern. After that you become part of the scenery, they don't notice.

Good... Treadmills are hatefull machines. Outside is far better for you, particularly once you're getting to the end of the programme and thinking about what direction to take next.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    trust me people are looking at you way less than you think they are.

and really who cares what others think...your doing this for yourself..

i just read a good quote on Runners World..."excuses are the nails that build the house of failure"
  • SherryL0419
    SherryL0419 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying...I used to be the same way about running in front of people. Then one day I just realized....they're probably not paying any attention to me at all but even if they are chances are they're not thinking the "bad" things I have in my head they're thinking....and IF by chance they are then they have a bigger problem than I do!! Once I got over that I absolutely love running now so just do it!!! And C25K is awesome by the way, I completed the program and I loved it! Good luck!!