Frustrating!!!

Options
I have been eating between 1200 and 1300 calories a day since I have a desk job and don't move very much during the day. When I get home I do the treadmill for 45 minutes to burn between 300 to 400 calories 5 days a week.... and I haven't seen the scale change in a week!!!! What am I doing wrong? I didn't even cheat on Super Bowl Sunday :sad:

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You will get better replies if you open your diary for viewing.
  • khurrambutt
    khurrambutt Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Its just a week give it some time you increase weight in years and you want to lose it in a week just hang on and give it some time
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am predicting most people here will say you need to eat back those exercise calories -- that is how MFP is designed. You want a total "balance" of 1200 (or what ever your goal is) at the end of the day.

A week is a short time to become frustated with anything. It takes a lot longer to see trends, to account for water weight fluctuations, etc.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Not enough information. Are you eating back your exercise calories? Are you using a food scale to measure your food? Are you logging every bite you take? How long have you been eating at a deficit?

Read this, it will help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Not enough information. Are you eating back your exercise calories? Are you using a food scale to measure your food? Are you logging every bite you take? How long have you been eating at a deficit?

Read this, it will help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Please take the time to read this.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    # 1 - don't believe the treadmill, if the treadmill says 400 - 500 it may actaully be 200 - 300 Calories burned.
    #2 - Get an HRM to monitor Calories burned on the treadmill
  • RSoddie
    RSoddie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Give it some time Hun remember your body is trying to slowly adjust to the changes
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    # 1 - don't believe the treadmill, if the treadmill says 400 - 500 it may actaully be 200 - 300 Calories burned.
    #2 - Get an HRM to monitor Calories burned on the treadmill

If the treadmill had you enter age, weight, etc, it is probably more accurate than an HRM. The calculations in treadmills have been tested over years, and measure the actual work you performed. A HRM only estimates calories burned by guessing how hard you are working, based on your HR vs, and estimated max HR, and estimated oxygen uptake, based on averages embedded in the HRM's formula.

The only way I would trust the HRM over the machine is if you did the V02 Max and Max HR tests and the HRM allowed you to input your actual Max HR and V02Max. when it comes to other machines I would trust the HRM more so as machines like the elliptical cals have only been verified by the manufacturer, not an established formula.
  • RSoddie
    RSoddie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You should try Herbalife replace two meals with a shake and you'll see results quick
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should try Herbalife replace two meals with a shake and you'll see results quick

No don't do this. Waste of money and all it does is reduce your caloric intake, which you can do by following MFP using real food.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The process requires excruciating patience, and making adjustments when needed.

Stick with the fundamentals and you will be fine, but be prepared for more frustration coupled with moments of elation when you do drop weight.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    [/quote

Um, no.

Please go back and read the guide to sexypants link. It's all you need.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

No don't do this. Waste of money and all it does is reduce your caloric intake, which you can do by following MFP using real food.

+1
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have been eating between 1200 and 1300 calories a day since I have a desk job and don't move very much during the day. When I get home I do the treadmill for 45 minutes to burn between 300 to 400 calories 5 days a week.... and I haven't seen the scale change in a week!!!! What am I doing wrong? I didn't even cheat on Super Bowl Sunday :sad:

Once I didn't lose for three weeks...then in one week I dropped 7lbs. Then stayed at that weight for 2 weeks...and then dropped 5lbs the following week. This last time it was 1 1/2 weeks before the scale moved...up 3 lbs then the next day...it went down 5lbs. I have learned...that is just the way my body wants to work.

I am just saying...give it time...pay attention to your body.

It took me a while to find out how many calories my body needed and the combination of exercise to give me the weight loss that I wanted. I pay very little attention to calories burned...instead I focused on what my body tells me.

The focus of my exercise is for fitness...the fact that it aids in weight loss is a bonus. IMO...exercise is for fitness...your diet is for weight health...two separate entities...that just happen to compliment each other....and work hand in hand.

Pay attention to what your body tells you...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some weeks the scale will stay the same or go up, no matter what you have done.

It's normal.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

It probably will work...if you can stick with it.

My question is...what happens after you stop drinking them? At some point to maintain a healthy weight you will have to learn to make wise choices about how much food you consume. Why not do that from the very beginning.

For the same amount of calories in a Herbalife shake...you can eat a variety of foods.

I average losing 2lbs a week...I have not drank a single shake. The only supplement that I use is a Fiber bar because my fiber intake was low. Other than that...I eat basically the same types of food that I always eaten...just a healthier version of those foods.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

+1

+2
  • schatzbecky2014
    schatzbecky2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am using the Fit Bit to calculate my steps, miles, calories, etc so that is where I am getting the calories burned. I thought I might be eating too little so that is why I bumped it up to 1300 and still nothing.

I am not into "supplements" so don't think I will try the Herbalife.
  • magicalamanda
    magicalamanda Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When you continuously do the same exercises your body will get used to them. If you keep doing the same thing you won't lose as much weight. I would suggest changing the incline and the speed to start, then maybe add some free weights. You can do curls while you watch TV. I have a balance ball, free weights, and exercise bands I use those when I'm watching TV and switch it up. You can also easily do squats and stuff!!! ALSO ALSO if you don't want to use/buy free weights you can use stuff around the house like cans of soup, laundry detergent bottles (with liquid in them), anything that has weight and is easy to hold.

Don't be discouraged my friend! Just switch it up from time to time to give you muscles a shock!

*anyone can add me btw*
  • magicalamanda
    magicalamanda Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would also like to note that drinking the shakes will make you really hungry... I only do protein shakes before I work out because I'm hypoglycemic. I've also read some articles that say not to use any sort of diet supplements because you will gain weight just as fast as you lose it. Just eat healthy and exercise. BUT I will say when I was first diagnosed I had to change my diet and lost about 10 pounds. It was just making sure that I ate about every 4 hours but kept the meals really small and protein packed. So if that's something you're interested in you could do that pretty easily. ALSO I subscribe to SHAPE magazine and there is always helpful tips in there too.