Feel like i'm back to square 1 :(

Options
I started this 'biggest loser' contest at work in January. I was doing well...about a pound a week. Then this week, week 4 I gained 2 back! I know I don't eat the full 1200 calories everyday ... sometimes I'm just not hungry enough to complete it. I am exercising 6 days a week (Zumba, Jump rope, crunches, dumbbells, etc). I burn about 250-300 calories a day ... and no, I don't tend to eat the burned calories. But I feel fine...I don't feel like I'm starving. So what gives?!?! Why am I gaining now? It's very discouraging ... and I'm doing my best to not get discouraged this time and quit. :ohwell:

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do you only weigh once a week? Chances are it's just a fluctuation. We all fluctuate day to day, sometimes by several pounds, and if you don't weigh everyday and the one day you way is a fluctuation, you'll think you've gained, when for all you know yesterday you could have been 3lbs lighter.

Not everyone likes weighing everyday of course, but if you don't, this is a risk you run.
  • lizard11080
    Options
    Yes, I only weigh myself once a week. I figured that would be a way to keep track of the weight. I can start daily ... to see the fluctuation and maybe not get so discouraged. I've only been going on this for a month, so I wasn't expecting to lose tons but I wanted to at least not see the scale go up :(
    Do you only weigh once a week? Chances are it's just a fluctuation. We all fluctuate day to day, sometimes by several pounds, and if you don't weigh everyday and the one day you way is a fluctuation, you'll think you've gained, when for all you know yesterday you could have been 3lbs lighter.

Not everyone likes weighing everyday of course, but if you don't, this is a risk you run.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You actually might not be eating enough. Have you spoken/consulted with a registered dietitian or nutritionist? If not, you might want to look into that.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    So you infrequently hit 1200 calories while burning 300-ish per day and not eating those. So your body is surviving on about 800 calories per day?

I'm just gonna sit back and watch this!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're everything right. I agree, probably just a fluctuation. I can change by as much as three lbs. in a day. It also seems like it goes quicker at first. I had a week where I didn't lose anything, but lost a pound in just the last couple of days. I'd encourage you to stick with it and see where you are in a couple of weeks. It took us a long time to gain it and it takes a while to lose it.

(edit) And, no. You're not starving. But it's possible you're not accurately recording what you eat. Do you use a scale? Eating too little never made anyone gain weight.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So you infrequently hit 1200 calories while burning 300-ish per day and not eating those. So your body is surviving on about 800 calories per day?

I'm just gonna sit back and watch this!

Oh, yes, me too. :drinker: This month seems to be rife with these threads.
  • ktwhiting921
    ktwhiting921 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are probably either not getting enough nutrition or it's close to your time of the month and are bloating up because of it. Continue what you are doing and check back next week. If you lose three than it was probably just bloat.
  • Csy4242
    Csy4242 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me a few weeks back. I kept pushing through it and now have lost 7lbs in 3 weeks. Don't give up, I know how discouraging it must be. Just stay dedicated to living a healthier lifestyle and stay committed exercising and you'll break through it :)
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    Here's how my weight fluctuated in the last few days.
    Thursday: 246.6
    Friday: 245.8
    Saturday: 246.4. Wife's Bday dinner at Cheesecake Factory. Terrible menu.
    Sunday: No data. Ate some chips while watching the game.
    Monday: 248.6
    Tuesday: 247.2
    Wednesday: 245.2

I didn't really gain 2.8 pounds of fat from Friday morning through Monday morning. I didn't really lose 3.4 pounds from Monday through this morning either.

We have to get used to the fluctuations of a few pounds. Unfortunately, we have to temper enthusiasm for losing a bunch of weight in a short period...because it's not real. We have to be able to ignore gaining a couple pounds in a short period. Because it's not real. You're really looking for a trend over a long period.
  • lizard11080
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. And no...I'm not starving. If I needed to eat more, believe me I would. I use measuring cups usually and occasionally a scale. And speaking to my doctor, I don't HAVE to eat the calories I burn right away. I do give myself a cheat day every couple weeks, so those calories I don't eat from the exercise I 'bank' so to speak.
    Sounds like you're everything right. I agree, probably just a fluctuation. I can change by as much as three lbs. in a day. It also seems like it goes quicker at first. I had a week where I didn't lose anything, but lost a pound in just the last couple of days. I'd encourage you to stick with it and see where you are in a couple of weeks. It took us a long time to gain it and it takes a while to lose it.

(edit) And, no. You're not starving. But it's possible you're not accurately recording what you eat. Do you use a scale? Eating too little never made anyone gain weight.
  • MrsLittle1022
    Options
    Also, have you looked at your menstrual cycle? Women can gain up to 15 lbs during "that time." It is not uncommon to hold water weight. And, have you consumed more sodium recently. That will also give you a water retention issue. It is probably nothing to be worried about. The only thing I will say, is that I did the same thing with eating 1200 calories and burning 300-400 a day and my body DID go into starvation mode. I didn't lose a thing for two weeks. I would look for high protein low calorie snacks to munch on through the day. A handful twice a day could get you those extra calories and make sure your metabolism keeps going. Don't give up!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Been at it for 3 or 4 weeks and then suddenly gain weight for 'no reason' and it's usually women.... I wonder why that might be.....?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups usually and occasionally a scale.

You're eating more than you think...
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You not eating enough. The End. :flowerforyou:
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Did you know your body actually signals your brain that you "aren't hungry" if it routinely isn't getting enough calories? This is part of your body's natural defenses against starvation. This may or may not be the case for you, I just wanted to point out that just because you don't feel hungry, doesn't absolutely mean you are giving your body everything it needs. If you are eating low fat versions of things, egg whites instead of whole eggs, and things of that nature, just try eating the regular, full calorie versions. I vet that would get you up to your minimum calories for the day and you wouldn't actually feel like you were eating more food.
  • monicalynnfer
    Options
    It is possible that you aren't eating correctly? What I mean is a lot of complex carbs? Fats? Things like that can be major hurdles in getting you to where you want or need to be. Good luck and don't get discouraged. You are doing just fine.
  • lizard11080
    Options
    Thanks...that could be it as I know it's coming. I don't eat much salt and tend to avoid those foods, I just don't like them. I do drink a lot of water throughout the day, but I don't think that would make a difference.

If I'm too 'low' I do grab yogurt or fruit or something to help get me to 1150-1200 calories. I do my best to never go lower than 1150 and my doc said not to go below 1100.

I know I just started and am getting discouraged probably for nothing.

Thanks for the input.

Also, have you looked at your menstrual cycle? Women can gain up to 15 lbs during "that time." It is not uncommon to hold water weight. And, have you consumed more sodium recently. That will also give you a water retention issue. It is probably nothing to be worried about. The only thing I will say, is that I did the same thing with eating 1200 calories and burning 300-400 a day and my body DID go into starvation mode. I didn't lose a thing for two weeks. I would look for high protein low calorie snacks to munch on through the day. A handful twice a day could get you those extra calories and make sure your metabolism keeps going. Don't give up!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I started this 'biggest loser' contest at work in January. I was doing well...about a pound a week. Then this week, week 4 I gained 2 back! I know I don't eat the full 1200 calories everyday ... sometimes I'm just not hungry enough to complete it. I am exercising 6 days a week (Zumba, Jump rope, crunches, dumbbells, etc). I burn about 250-300 calories a day ... and no, I don't tend to eat the burned calories. But I feel fine...I don't feel like I'm starving. So what gives?!?! Why am I gaining now? It's very discouraging ... and I'm doing my best to not get discouraged this time and quit. :ohwell:

How did you gain weight if you can't even eat 1200 cal?
  • lizard11080
    Options
    just like everyone gains...making bad decisions, not exercising. I used to stress eat and eat when I was upset and instead of choosing a salad I'd eat a cookie. it's not like I gained weight overnight and I don't expect to lose it overnight either.

How did you gain weight if you can't even eat 1200 cal?
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Going to have to point out that women tend to experience more fluctuations, don't be disheartened!