Weigh yourself everyday? and when

Options
Hi everyone!

I heard that you should weigh yourself in the mornings when you first wake up. However, sometimes I feel bloated in the mornings and then that subsides about an hour later.

So i'm wondering when you all weigh yourselve's and how often. I tend to weigh my self every morning. I can always tell when i've had too much salt the night before because my body retains a lot of water. .

Looking forward to your replies.

I'm looking to lose my last 10lbs...that i've already lost and put back on :)

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Mornings you are usually at your lightest and have less water retention.

Do whatever works for you, just do it at the same time each time you do it!
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning when I wake up but I don't always log it. I log maybe every 3 or 4 days.
  • daffodilsviolet
    daffodilsviolet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some schools of thought say not to weigh every day, However, I have been weighing myself twice everyday for years now. It helps me to control what I eat because it is reflected on the scales. I weigh every morning and it usually shows a 1-2lb difference from the when i weigh the night before. I also use a sewing measuring tape and keep track of my neck, hip and waist measurements...this way if you do a lot of weight/muscle work it will show on the tape, though not necessarily on the scale.
  • Watermelon398
    Watermelon398 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's best to do what makes you the most successful.

I did not do well with a daily weigh-in. I weigh myself at the gym every Saturday morning. It helps me to see the weekly trend versus the daily trend. I find myself striving to do better for the weekly weigh, whereas when I did it daily I was not as successful or driven in pursuing my goals.

For some weird reason me telling myself "No, don't eat that you have to weigh yourself on Saturday." is motivational/works.
  • foldingstarsx
    Options
    i weigh myself at night after the kids go to bed,around 8.
    i am always heavier in the mornings ugh.

good luck on you MFP journey
  • brooksn20
    Options
    I weigh every morning in the same spot as soon as i wake up and go potty (sorry tmi) without clothes for me its easier to see water gains that way ... my body retains water over the weekend im sure due to salt intake but its always gone by tuesday morning
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday morning. As soon as I it the gym.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but I do. I weigh myself every morning, that way it's a consistent time of day.
  • raulafanador
    raulafanador Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not really that beneficial to weigh in every day, as your weight can vary greatly depending on your diet and how much fluids youve retained from the day prior. I suggest weekly weigh ins, so you can track your gains or losses with more accuracy. Also when you do weigh in, obviously do it soon as you wake up.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh yourself in the morning and you feel you have water retention, wait until you go to the bathroom. For me it's usually best to have some water, then some coffee, then wait for bathroom time to come to weigh myself.

But if you weigh yourself every day, as long as you do it at the same time, you should be able to account for bloat and fluctuations. Obviously that means not taking your weigh-in too seriously every day, but you shouldn't do that anyway!
  • snowsquall
    snowsquall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Had to comment on this one as i do the same, actually i weigh in morning and again after workout in late afternoon. I usually weigh in the same the next morning providing i havent eaten a high sodium supper under 2000mg is usually good for me anything higher automatic 1 - 2 pounds up!!!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight, I did weigh myself everyday. Not gonna lie, it made me a little obsessive, but it did help me lose weight. I cut back to once a week, and this was really better for me mentally. I just cut to once a month. I don't like this and am going back to once a week.

I like to weigh myself AFTER I workout. I workout in the morning and sweat a lot, so this is usually my lowest weight of the day. Like others have said, just be consistent with the time.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself; probably about once a month. They do say weigh yourself the same time of the day each time you weigh yourself but I don't worry about that. I don't want to be a slave to the scale.
  • lilli5150
    lilli5150 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I typically weigh every night, but only because that is when I take my shower. So just before I hop in the shower, I weigh. Not only does it tend to be accurate (because of the lack of clothing) but it has become a habit. It just makes it easy to remember to do it everyday ^.^
  • tgabmac
    tgabmac Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I used to have a problem with wanting to weigh myself everyday and often, so I cut back.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I weigh only 2 to 4 times per month. Weighing every day would create unnecessary stress and drive me insane.
  • debbiesweety
    Options
    Every morning after I pee and before I drink my caffeinated beverage. I only update MFP weekly on sunday
  • naariel
    Options
    Every morning, but I don't give it much thought and usually don't even look. I have a syncing scale so I don't have to look down to report it. A daily weigh-in make it easier for me to notice tendances. If I only weighed myself every week and suddenly saw a gain (and that's quite possible with menstrual cycle as my daily weigh-in points, or more marginally because of one sodium-charged day) I wouldn't be able to determine if I gained fat steadily during the week (doing something wrong) or only put on water the day before. Also knowing myself I would certainly expect more from a weekly weigh-in. Doing it daily make me more "blasé" and "not going to change much anyway".

In the end, whatever works for you. If you tend to obsess doing it daily, and that's the major risk of daily weigh-in in my opinion, then do it weekly instead. But if you're fine like that, keep it up. Every and any school of thoughts is wrong, because things like that don't depend on which school you're following based on whatever theoritical and well-thought argument they propose, but what actually, experimentaly works for you.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I threw the scale out a while ago. I weigh in when I see my doctor, once every month or two.
  • rmcolorado
    Options
    Every morning when I'm on a diet. It can be disappointing if there is an increase but I know it's probably water weight or I need to watch my diet a little closer. When I'm not dieting I could go 4-5 months without weighing. My scale broke for awhile then I got it fixed and find the 12 pound or so gain....hense the diet now lol