How long did you train for your first half-marathon?

Options
I'm planning on doing my first half-marathon in June this year. Most training plans I've looked at are anywhere from 12-18 weeks long, and the one I've made for myself is 24 weeks. However, I'm 7 weeks in and starting to get nervous that even 24 weeks is not enough training time for someone who has barely run at all in my life.

Any thoughts??

Replies

• SarahDWalker26
    SarahDWalker26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    we do a 10 week training plan.. Gooogle Hal Higdon ( i think), I like to run but I am average to slow. My first half took me 2:45 at my 7th took 2:25... I cant imagine getting any faster but its not about speed for me. Just doing it!! Plently of people walk the entire thing..

Remember:
    YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE FASTER THEN THE PEOPLE WHO NEVER LEFT THEIR COUCH!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing my first half-marathon in June this year. Most training plans I've looked at are anywhere from 12-18 weeks long, and the one I've made for myself is 24 weeks. However, I'm 7 weeks in and starting to get nervous that even 24 weeks is not enough training time for someone who has barely run at all in my life.

Any thoughts??

To give any intelligent answer requires a little bit more info. How much and how often are you running now? How many days per week does your training plan have you running? How much are you increasing your distance every week? Does that plan realistically fit in your lifestyle?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that a new runner may be overreaching making their first race a half-marathon. Not that it can't be done it's more a question of how much you're going to enjoy the experience. Going from zero to 13.1 miles in 24 weeks or so is very ambitious and doesn't really allow your body to adapt (bone density, capillary density, mitochondrial density......there's a lot going on while you're building your aerobic base)

Running is, in large part, a mental game and, depending on the size of the race you've entered, can be quite intimidating. Most people will start off with a 5K or 2, move on to a 10K and then to half-marathon distances. With a little racing experience under your belt there's less of an intimidation factor and you're probably going to have a lot more fun.

Good luck with your training.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You're right - it's not enough time.

Those 12-18 week plans are for people who already have a strong weekly running base mileage. You're trying to do too much, too soon. When did you start running?
  • Sirrunsalot75
    Sirrunsalot75 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My first half was three months after i started running. My first full was a 15 week plan. It isn't as bad as you think. Get a good plan and stick to it. Knowing what you have to do each day takes the guess work out of it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think Runner's World did an article about new runners making 13.1 their first race.

Search their forums
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • snamuduri
    Options
    I ran two halfs last year. I followed Hal Higdon's 12 week novice 1 training program. I walked for a minute at the end of every mile and finished ~2.30. My goal, however was to finish and not making time. Google it and you will find the training plans. I am training for one right now to run end of April.

I was a novice runner when I did my first half and was very pleased with the training plan. However for the second, I actually added a week and completed 13 miles 2 weeks before the actual race.
  • sir_randall
    sir_randall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half 3 days ago on 3 months of training. I am a cyclist not necessarily a runner. I think you have plenty of time to train. The key is to stay consistent in your training. If you're scheduled to run 3 times a week, then run 3 times a week. No more, no less. Build in a rest or drop back week and some speed workouts. If you're race course is going to be hilly then add in some hill workouts.

My goal was 2:30 and I finished at 2:25. My longest run was only 11 miles before the race. Be sure to hydrate on longer runs and re-fuel if necessary. Don't wait till race day to have a Gu pack mid run. Practice that before the race day.

Keep at it. You'll get to the finish line (pun intended).
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I didn't make it all the way through my training program, but I ran the half anyway. And I probably had to walk longer than if I finished my whole program ahead of time, but I was still proud of what I accomplished. So my point is that I think June is a very doable goal, but its easy to worry about where you 'should' be, but instead i recommend continuously reminding yourself of how far you've come. And have fun - a 1/2 is a fun time!!!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Something happened at week 7 that gave you doubts....what was it? Also, all of those running programs on the web aren't a "one size fits all" ...far from it. What does your 24 week plan look like?
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of others, I had already been running and had several 5Ks under my belt before I thought about longer distances. I started training for a 10K and ran that in June of that year so I just kept going and signed up for a September Half.

You look young in your photo and I know you kids can get away with a lot we more mature runners can't, so all I will say is the most important things are to have fun and don't get hurt. If you feel like you're pushing too far too soon, listen to your body and adapt your goals and in the end you will be a happier, healthier runner for it. But if you can successfully get to 13.1 in the time you have, go for it! Good luck!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year, and I'm now about 2/3 of the way through training for my first half (Jeff Galloway plan). I couldn't imagine trying to do this last year...it took me almost a year just to get comfortable with 10k.
  • Darkbite29
    Darkbite29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey, well I am 2 half-marathons in for this year so far....2 weeks apart and I ran better on the second run, so training is important but rest is too. The week before my last marathon I only walked, and ate pizza the night before. I ran it in 01:56 which is great for my age. I would recommend the training regime, but don't forget to space your training runs. Good luck, and God speed mate!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started running in May of 2011 and ran my first half in January of 2012. I had no plans at the time I started to run a half marathon it just worked out that way. My first official race was a 10K in October of 2012 my next was the half in January. Of course, I'm a run/walk intervals type of runner which isn't as hard on your body so YMMV. In any event, I really think it all depends on you and what your goals are. If you want to run a half marathon in a very fast time, 24 weeks is probably too ambitious. If you want to just finish and don't care how long it takes, you'll have no problems. As someone else stated, some people walk the whole thing and it takes them around 4 hours. If you decide in the weeks just before the race that you'll need to take walk breaks during the race, then plan to run that way. There's nothing that says you have to run the entire 13.1 miles, because you most certainly don't.
  • runner_esq25
    runner_esq25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My first race was a full marathon! You can do it. I trained with the Jeff Galloway method (run-walk intervals). Listen to your body, go slow if needed, and enjoy. By jumping in right away but not feeling crazy pressure to be super fast, I fell in love with running and have done 5 marathons and several half-marathons to date. I would definitely say 24 weeks is enough training for a half, I think I trained for about 20 weeks for my first marathon.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    A day and a half. I didn't actually run it, but that's how long I trained for it.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I completed c25k in February 2013, kept up with running a few times a week with at least 3 miles every Saturday. I ran my first 5k in May and got hooked on the race bug. I signed up for and ran a Quarter Marathon in late August. During my training for that I decided to also sign up for a Half Marathon for October. My training for both races overlapped a bit. But since one was a quarter marathon, the training distances led me right into the half marathon training.

Overall I would say I trained 20 weeks for my first half, running 3 times a week until the final 12 weeks, where I ran 4 days a week until race day. My long runs pretty much increased a mile every week. The furthest distance I completed before the race was 11 miles...I badly sprained my toe a week and half before the half marathon and took time off to let it completely heal. But I felt I was fully prepared in that time. I finished in 2:26.
  • sarahg2290
    sarahg2290 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!

I should have added a bit more information. I've been "running" for about a year now, but have only been doing 3 miles at a time, about 3 days a week. I've done a couple 5ks already, but really wanted to focus on distance rather than speed. My 24 week plan starts with a base of 3 miles and goes up to 10, adding one mile to my "long runs" every couple weeks. The other days of the week, I'm doing cross training and/or strength training.

I'm definitely convinced running is very mental, and if I can break through that, I can reach my goal by June. I just wanted to hear from others to see if that's realistic.

Thanks for all the feedback and support!
  • sarahg2290
    sarahg2290 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    we do a 10 week training plan.. Gooogle Hal Higdon ( i think), I like to run but I am average to slow. My first half took me 2:45 at my 7th took 2:25... I cant imagine getting any faster but its not about speed for me. Just doing it!! Plently of people walk the entire thing..

Remember:
    YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE FASTER THEN THE PEOPLE WHO NEVER LEFT THEIR COUCH!!!

Hal Higdon is the training plan I have now...I just am repeating weeks to make it 24 weeks :)