Is it healthy to eat like this to loose weight?

Options
Hi, I am still breastfeeding but only twice a day. I was wondering if i ate nothing but salad with balsamic (can't spell the rest) and maybe like in the mornings have hardboiled egg in it and at dinner have salmon, tilpia, or tuna. I was also planning on walking my dog for 20-30 mins for excersice. Or is that to many calories? Could I only eat protein once a day? just want to loose my preggo weight because were planning on having another kid soon and did't want my weight to get really out of control.

Well when I say salad I mean like
Some mixed greens (spinach lettuce whatever)
Then like raw broccoli or cauliflower
and cherry tomatoes
Then either hard boiled eggs or beans or Fish.
I also plan to have fruit for snacks.
and i plan to eat till I'm full.

I have been on this website for awhile now but I am ready to really do this.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds like way too few calories, not nearly enough protein, and not at all sustainable. Good luck with that.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    That doesnt seem like nearly enough...but I would have to see the diary breakdown of it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So, how many calories have you worked that out to?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would discuss this with your doctor before you damage your health and your child's. Just tell him/her that you are want to lose some weight while breastfeeding.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Ditto what they said.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah you need a LOT more protein and fat. I think anyone would be hungry on that diet, and you're feeding an extra person on it.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You need to eat in order to produce enough breast milk to feed your baby.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    If you're breast feeding and trying to lose wight and prep for another child, I think you need to talk to your OB/GYN about this. I do not suggest soliciting advice on an anonymous internet forum - even one such as here where there are many knowledgable and fantastic people.
  • Madilyn1992
    Options
    I thought salads were healthy? and fish is healthy? I just don't understand why that is so unhealthy?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I thought salads were healthy? and fish is healthy? I just don't understand why that is so unhealthy?

It's unhealthy because the units that we use to measure energy (calories) are not high enough for you to even keep breathing or producing new blood cells, let alone breast feed a baby.

Everything you do burns calories, you need enough for your body to function. If you figure out your BMR using this websites calculators, that gives you a good base number to not eat below. If you are breast feeding you typically need an additional 500 calories per day.
  • VelcroButt
    VelcroButt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You need a minimum of 1800 calories a day while nursing. Even for someone who is not nursing your current diet doesn't have enough calories.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    That would hurt your milk supply. Right now your baby is more important. Eat healthy and don't eat junk and the bfing will help you lose weight
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Are you going to eat salad for breakfast...? Am I missing something.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Salads are healthy. Fish is healthy. Not enough calories is not healthy. Not enough protein is not good for breastfeeding moms.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You are breastfeeding a baby, eat enough food to support it's health. Starving yourself now shouldn't be your priority, taking care of your newborn should!

Harsh but no ****s given.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options

It's unhealthy because the units that we use to measure energy (calories) are not high enough for you to even keep breathing or producing new blood cells, let alone breast feed a baby.

Everything you do burns calories, you need enough for your body to function. If you figure out your BMR using this websites calculators, that gives you a good base number to not eat below. If you are breast feeding you typically need an additional 500 calories per day.

If she's only breastfeeding twice a day then it's likely she has an older baby who eats solids the rest of the time. So that would significantly reduce the amount of extra calories she needs. Maybe 100-200 extra. But yes, OP isn't eating nearly enough to begin with, regardless of breastfeeding.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's so restrictive that you're missing out on a lot of nutrients. Calcium and B vitamins were the first things that came to mind, but I'm sure if you showed this to a nutritionist they would come back with a list of deficiencies. If you're not taking in a balanced, nutritious diet, you won't be feeding your baby what he or she needs either.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sounds like way too few calories, not nearly enough protein, and not at all sustainable. Good luck with that.

This. Even if you weren't breastfeeding, this wouldn't be enough. However, since you are, even if it's only 2x a day, you still need to consume enough calories to support that on top of your own basic functions.
  • allergygirl
    Options
    Hey, when I was bf - i was prescribed a diet of 1900 calories minimum. Maybe start with 1900 calories and go down each week by 100 calories if you are not losing a 1/2 pound or more a week naturally. Try to be as active as possible.

In my case I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks (nearly all my pregnancy gain) but after that I started to put it all back on quickly and more. This was because of my thyroid and nothing to do with my diet. if you feel weird, fearful, spaced out, have constipation, a big bump on your neck or gain weight it's definitely worth being tested for thyroid. Once I got my thyroid under control, it took me 9 months to get back to my pre-preggers weight. If only it had gone like that with baby #2.

Congrats on your new little angel! <Hugs>