What did you learn from your HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I learned that my heart rate shoots up with very little effort. That worries me.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Should have also pointed out that using a HRM is brilliant to measure your fitness changing . When I started out I found my HR got up high s anything, as my fitness level changed & I got better at it I found I had to work harder in order to get my HR unto the same level..... meaning my fitness had improved & I would never have been able to see that side of things without my HRM.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    That taking Sudafed before running a half marathon is no good. Like just walking my heart rate was up around 190. Running was over 200. Still finished that damn race though. Never take Sudafed before doing a cardio workout.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    i learned that HRMS are more or less useless
    This. No more or less accurate than any other method of guessing calorie burns. In fact, since HRMs are only designed for a very small window of exercise types (steady state cardio, going at the same pace the entire time with no changes or breaks,) they are pretty much useless for the exercise the average person does.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be brave and say that I learned that just because I bought a heart rate monitor doesn't mean I have learned how to use it (and I haven't yet) and that fact doesn't or hasn't impacted my workouts, fitness or weight loss... I think :blushing:
    When logging, I use less then half the calorie burn numbers listed on MFP and gym's treadmill, class averages etc. However I've wondered which activities I'm challenged most in besides lifting weights so this post may be just the spark for me to get out my shiny heart rate monitor and it's instructions and learn how to use the darn thing :wink:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This. No more or less accurate than any other method of guessing calorie burns. In fact, since HRMs are only designed for a very small window of exercise types (steady state cardio, going at the same pace the entire time with no changes or breaks,) they are pretty much useless for the exercise the average person does.

Actually, that sounds quite accurate for what the typical person does when grinding out cardio at the gym on a cardio machine such as an elliptical machine.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM! I got the Polar FT7 a little over a month ago. While I like seeing my calories burned, I pay most attention to how much time my cardio or strength training workout was "Fat burn" as opposed to "Fitness". I would much rather have a higher fat burn and fewer calories than more fitness, too high a HR, and not a lot of fat burn.

I also love seeing the results of my trainer sessions with strength training- it's fantastic! I can burn anywhere from 200-700 calories in 50 minutes! I did heavy lifts the other day, my HR got to around 172 at the top, and I burned over 600 calories. Almost all of which were fat burn! Last night, I just did basic strength training for an hour with machines, and I only burned just under 300 calories. All of them fat burn, no fitness (my HR didn't get above 117 I believe). I usually have great calorie burns with my cardio classes, but I try not to let me HR stay above 170 for more than a couple minutes as that's my max HR and will just turn into sugar burn after that, no fat burn. I usually average about 150 hr during cardio classes. If they're good- I have a horrible zumba instructor at my gym and my HR barely reaches 125 with a cal burn of about 300...

I am not obsessed with the numbers, it's just interesting to see, and check out patterns!

1 - Heart Rate Monitors are meant for STEADY STATE CARDIO, not lifting. Be very careful believing you are actually burning 600 calories in 50 minutes of heavy lifting.

2 - Heart Rate Zones are debunked 1980's junk science.

3 - If your MAX heart rate is truly 170 you will not be able to exceed that number. MAX heart rate is the fastest possible rate at which your heart can pump blood before it FAILS.

4 - I might suggest you do a little research before believing the latest trends in the world of fitness. For every article you can find backing one point, an article backing a different point can be found. Thus the reason we have so MANY diet trends, Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Low Carb, Low Sugar, Low Fat, etc, they are all right for someone, just not everyone.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    That contrary to what people think I really do have a heart.:laugh:
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That contrary to what people think I really do have a heart.:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Me too (my kids especially :tongue: )!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Actually, that sounds quite accurate for what the typical person does when grinding out cardio at the gym on a cardio machine such as an elliptical machine.
    Not really, people on cardio machines are constantly changing settings. Also, on a machine like the elliptical or stationary bike they are constantly changing speeds, most times without realizing it.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    i don't use HRM per se...i have the Body Media thingy ...so right before i step up in the gym , i reset the "trip" button - so it tells me how many calories i burned during my workout of cardio and weights ....60 mins of "heavy" lifting & 30 mins of the treadmil or eliptical normally burns about 525 calories ....i ONLY wanted to know this info so that i could better determine if i could eat that cookie or not ....i've evolved into not ALWAYS eating ALL my calories back and it seems to be working !!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    How to train smarter (not harder).