Eat Exercise Calories?

Options
Do you eat the calories you gain by exercising? I do, but am wondering if I should...

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP method, you eat back the exercise calories. (or at least a portion of them to account for overestimation)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    At least half, usually all here.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a HRM so I only eat back a portion - usually 1/3 to 1/2. I feel like that gives me a cushion in case it's overestimating my calories burned with exercise.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes, I rely on my Fitbit adjustment.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yes, I tend to eat back most of the exercise calories, though I'm going to try and scale it back to 1/2.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them back, sometimes I don't. It depends what mood I'm in. One thing I'm not going to do is eat for the sake of it. The bigger the deficit I create, the better.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal at MFP already has you at a deficit, meaning eat all your cals every day and do zero exercise and you'll lose. When you burn off more through exercise, you're leaving yourself with a much larger deficit which can cause problems for ya in the long run.

This is why MFP adds the burned cals back into your goal. Your daily NET cals should be at or near goal.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Stupid question I'm sure, but does eating back calories mean you have to eat them back after you have done the exercise, or can it be before if you know for sure that you will be doing the exercise? I tend to do classes which finish late and don't usually feel like eating afterwards..
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Stupid question I'm sure, but does eating back calories mean you have to eat them back after you have done the exercise, or can it be before if you know for sure that you will be doing the exercise? I tend to do classes which finish late and don't usually feel like eating afterwards..

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask :wink: You can eat your exercise calories at any time. It's fine even if you average things out across the week (which is how the TDEE method works). If you've already eaten, consider it added motivation to do your workout.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you swiftdogs :-)
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't mark my workouts on MFP. I understand the reasoning of doing so, but i don't want to have the option to be able to eat more because i have been given back allowed calories for exercising. And even though with those gained back calories you are able to eat more healthy food, i take it as im being rewarded with food, and that's something i don't want to get into the habit of.
    Just my personal opinion. :)
  • fjcone
    fjcone Posts: 19
    Options
    I eat most of them back. It incentivizes me to do cardio which bores me to death. I am sure I would have more slack skin if I was not on the treadmill every single day so that I can eat more.
  • iplibrarian
    iplibrarian Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you... that is good to know. I thought they had be eaten that day.