Polar FT7

Options
So I recently bought a heart rate monitor/calorie counter and was really excited to use it. I tried it yesterday and the numbers seem really high. It says I am burning 2 calories a min when i am doing nothing but watching tv. And when I am doing some light work i am burning 5 a min. Now I know this can not be right. I am not burning over 5000 calories a day. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

Replies

• CSlupe11
    CSlupe11 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am not sure. I do know that the Polar monitors are mostly used during exercise rather than all day wear. Yes the option is there, but it's mostly for using during physical activity.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I am not sure. I do know that the Polar monitors are mostly used during exercise rather than all day wear. Yes the option is there, but it's mostly for using during physical activity.

This is correct. I own the Polar FT7 and it is indeed designed for steady state cardio, such as running. It is not intended to be worn all day. If you want a device to wear all day, look into something like a fitbit or the fuel band or something like that. HRM's mainly measure the difference between a starting rate and an increased rate and make calculations based upon that... other devices make calculations based more on your activity level and resting periods.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There is no device that measures calorie burn based on HR.

There are formulas that calculate an estimated calorie burn based on HR though, and you got a cheaper version of one.

And that HR for those calculations must be in the aerobic exercise level with steady-state same HR for 1-2 min, so from 90 to about 150-170 depending on your Lactate Threshold and moving in to anaerobic.

That means it's inflated for anything outside that range, like less than exercise, or lifting weights or intervals which are both anaerobic and non-steady-state.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You are only suppose to use a HRM during steady state cardio. Like running, walking, and workout DVDs.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have found for myself not to be too concerned with how many calories I am burning but how many calories I am taking in. If you want to lose weight, your eating habitls will be the answer. I work out to stay in shape. But that's just me.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor every time I walk or workout. I found this website that explains how to calculate your calories burned at rest.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Calories-Burned-at-Rest-How-many-Calories-do-I-Burn-doing-Nothing-/bk/

Every body is different in how we burn calories. I usually walk or workout hard, so can easily get a reading of 500-800 calories burned in a little over an hour. I start to burn calories faster after the first 30 minutes of activity. An HRM may not be 100% accurate, as a lot of people will tell you, but it's a starting point for me to gauge how hard I've worked. I don't get all crazy about accuracy, as much as I do about how much effort it tells me I have put into what I am doing. I love mine and wouldn't want to be without it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    So I recently bought a heart rate monitor/calorie counter and was really excited to use it. I tried it yesterday and the numbers seem really high. It says I am burning 2 calories a min when i am doing nothing but watching tv. And when I am doing some light work i am burning 5 a min. Now I know this can not be right. I am not burning over 5000 calories a day. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

Why would you wear a HRM when you aren't working out? My Polar Loop is for constant wear and I don't follow the cals burned on it as it does factor in "resting calories" - but it's an activity tracker (ie: step, walk/run time, activity, and cals). It will sync with an H6 or H7 strap but I haven't bought that yet.