Every day sore

Options
I started three months ago. Three times a week I work out at the gym ( Boot Camp) and twice a week Zumba. I know at sixty I'm starting a little late. I hate starting the day with Advil. sometimes awake in the middle of the night to Advil up. With fifty pounds to go Will it get any better?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Good for you for going for it! Sorry you're sore. Hard to know why without more info. What's hurting?

I'm no expert on workouts but maybe someone else has some input.
  • hpheath
    hpheath Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is it muscle soreness or joints?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It's NEVER too late to start! Good for you.

Now a couple questions...

Are you sore or is it pain?
    As the poster HPHeath asked...muscles or joints?
    Are you stretching before and after? (and by stretching are you stretching properly?)

ETA: Have you tried yoga?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    If your body has not adjusted yet it could be a number of things. One is that you could have possible injured yourself and have not healed from it. You could also not be getting enough H2O or nutrients from your diet. You may also just have kept pushing the intensity and dont give yourself time to recover. To get a better read on this please let us know more specifics... is it a certain part of the body, is it all over? What does your diet look like? How much time do you allow your body to rest after a training session? These are all variables to we would need to know in order to better answer your question. My guess, without knowing more details, would be that you are not allowing enough time for recovery and working out while your body is trying to heal itself.
  • JoshuaElement
    Options
    It's lactic acid buildup that causes soreness in muscles.

Good news? Over time, your body will become more efficient at dealing with Lactic Acidosis. Stretching after training will help relieve some pain, as will use a foam roller. Ensure to be drinking plenty of water and eating enough protein.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Oh and I meant to say kicka$$ at you doing boot camp! I'm 37 and that *kitten* SCARES me. For reals. Bravo!
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What does your diet look like?
    Are you drinking enough water?
    Do you stretch before and after workouts?

You shouldn't need to take Advil everyday for 3 months due to soreness. There is probably something you can tweak to help.
  • SkipPoodle6
    Options
    yeah it could easily be muscle soreness.
  • freebutterfly02
    freebutterfly02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one going thru that when i first started out too. It went beyond 3 months for me. Whenever I stopped going to the gym I would get sore again. I hired a trainer who told me I needed to let my body rest between workouts so I had to reduce the times i went to the gym the first year to let my body get used to it but I kept up with the daily walking for 20 minutes a day. Now I sleep with a heating pad at night time every time I get sore muscles that goes off after 2 hours at the lowest setting. I was working out so much but kept eating same old way and now I'm here learning the hard way that it doesn't matter how much I workout that the most important thing is what and how much I eat.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It takes time but 3 months? Hmmmm I'd say something to the instructor.
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It's never too late. I"m 51 years old suffering from tendonitis, arthitic knees and ankles, and now menopause. Yet, I am doing strength training, cardio, ZUMBA and walking. There are days when I struggle with my mobility, so I do what I can. Last week I really suffered when I overdid it with squats (I sometimes forget the pain ahead when I get into a workout!).

I keep hearing that it DOES get better. I need to believe this if I'm ever going to reach my goal of losing 88 lbs.
    There's alot of good advice from others on MFP who were in the same boat and I look for that inspiration.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Don't give up!!!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I would make sure to talk to your Doctor on the subject and what to do to counter it. But I would bet that the soreness is most likely from lactic acid build up, I use to take a B complex vitamin and vitamin E to counter the acid buildup. Also, the more you exercise the more your body will be able to counter the build up on its own. Lastly, Tiger Balm liniment rubbed into the affected areas is like magic. We'll that's what works for me any way. Oh and ice it too!
    Keep up the good work.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible about doing a post work out stretching but that it a valid point as well.