Mourning my dad without gaining millions of pounds - how?

Options
So I'm not sure if this is the right place or even the right time to ask this question, but right now I'm sorta all over the place so whatever.

Yesterday, we found out my dad took his own life, leaving me (19 y/o), my brother (12 y/o) and my mother behind. Since then I've been baking, eating, grocery shopping and eating and eating et cetera. I know I'll hate myself for it later, but right now I really can't let any kind of fat or sugar go untouched - while my mom can barely eat more than a few crackers a day.

Have any of you perhaps gone through a situation like this? Does anyone have any tips? Please help me :(

Replies

• ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, that is terrible news! First I am so sorry for you and your family. I can't imagine how you're feeling right now.

My suggestion would be to first and foremost take care of your self as best you can. If you have insurance through your mom, consider seeing a councillor, it may feel awkward at first but it may help you to sort out your feelings instead of trying to push them away.
    Emotional eating is a way for us to cope via distraction. Just try to keep a couple things in mind: when you eat garbage, you feel like garbage - and you won't want to feel any worse than you do right now. Also, eating is only a temporary fix, it will not change your situation and only make you feel yucky.

Maybe try finding new vices, running, walking and yoga can be therapeutic for some people (and might give you a bit more freedom to eat what you like), or maybe focus on listening to music.

I would say the most important thing to do is surround yourself with family and friends, support systems are the best. Again, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss, I hope things get easier. good luck
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, this is terrible. I can only imagine how you feel and I hope your heart starts to heal soon!

While I cant offer any advice I can TRY to empathize...
    Im struggling right now too.
    My grandfather just passed away about two weeks ago.
    Leaving us with my grandmother who has Alzheimer and dementia to move in.
    Our dogs dont get along, we dont have enough water ( showers etc ) /food/income/ and space.
    I had to move all my stuff out of my room into the cold back room and no one is getting along.
    Lots of screaming, arguing, etc.
    This all paired with the loss of him just is so stressful, Ive been secretly binging 2,000 - 3,000+ calories a night...

All I can say is cut yourself a little slack. This is a very dramatic and sad time and you do need to mourn.
    If you're over, dont beat yourself up too hard. Everyone needs time. Maybe just stop loggin for a few weeks ... calorie counting is the least of your worries right now.

Try to up your protein and fiber intake, this helps me a lot... along with seltzer waters to get that full feeling.
    Maybe even kicking your frustrations through a good workout
    You said you're going grocery shopping .. is it possible someone else could if you cant resist buying temptation foods?
    If you dont have the ingredients to bake or eat sugary stuff, you cant eat them
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    First, give yourself some time (a few weeks) to just process. Don't worry about your weight or anything. Exercise is a good distraction, and remember eating won't make you feel better. But seriously, don't stress about the weight right now. You aren't going to gain a million pounds in 2 weeks.

Think about getting some counseling, possibly for your entire family. See if you can help your mother with that. Look at what your insurance covrs (if you have insurance).

Then a few weeks start thinking about your weight again. Maybe try to use it as a bit of a distraction.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry.

Here are my thoughts. It JUST happened. Give yourself some time, you may go through some different phases over the next few weeks. Do not stress yourself over your eating during this time. Do not weigh yourself either because you may fluctuate due to sodium and if this is going to upset you, just don't weigh. If after a few weeks you are not able to stop, then look for some ways to try to put the brakes on. But right now, just give yourself some time.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    So I'm not sure if this is the right place or even the right time to ask this question, but right now I'm sorta all over the place so whatever.

Yesterday, we found out my dad took his own life, leaving me (19 y/o), my brother (12 y/o) and my mother behind. Since then I've been baking, eating, grocery shopping and eating and eating et cetera. I know I'll hate myself for it later, but right now I really can't let any kind of fat or sugar go untouched - while my mom can barely eat more than a few crackers a day.

Have any of you perhaps gone through a situation like this? Does anyone have any tips? Please help me :(
    I am sorry for your loss.
    I would consider a family activity that your father would love to do..
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    First, give yourself some time (a few weeks) to just process. Don't worry about your weight or anything. Exercise is a good distraction, and remember eating won't make you feel better. But seriously, don't stress about the weight right now. You aren't going to gain a million pounds in 2 weeks.

Think about getting some counseling, possibly for your entire family. See if you can help your mother with that. Look at what your insurance covrs (if you have insurance).

Then a few weeks start thinking about your weight again. Maybe try to use it as a bit of a distraction.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!! :heart:

I agree with the advice given.

Give yourself some time, take care of yourself, don't worry about it.

Pretty much everyone reacts to trauma and loss with a change in dietary habits. Some people eat more, some people don't eat, some people stop exercise, some people exercise more, and many people have a mixture of these things.

I also think the best thing would be to get counseling. Also, maybe a support group for people that have lost loved ones to suicide.

Another thing is to sit down and make a list of all the things that you can do that will bring you comfort when you need it. It can be whatever works for you, no matter how small or "silly" it may seem. Find a way to fit in the food related comforts, and find a way to fit in the non food related comforts. When you are having a tough time, go to the list and find something that will help you in that moment. It's also ok to switch to more easy going exercise options for right now, such as going for a walk or things that are gentle for you, but still keep you moving and active.

It's important for you to have support right now (also for your family to have support).

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Feck. That's awful.

My dad died of cancer on the 21st January and leading up to and past that, I've maintained my training schedule thinking that it would help me to cope. I don't know if it has... I suppose it has. I feel crap but who knows, I could feel much worse? Leading up to his death, my eating was pretty questionable as we spent a lot of time at the hospice so I was really guestimating my food intake. I don't think my physique has suffered, though, due to keeping up my training. And when it came to the crunch, I was there with him as he breathed his last. :frown:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    if i was in your situation. i would eat and eat and eat. to try and numb the pain.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say don't worry about your calories right now... and I also agree with givinig yourself time to grieve, taking a break, and maybe going to grief counselling might be good. When my father died, i remember that focusing on much of anything, including caloric intake, was hard. I also remember that going for runs was sort of beautiful meditative alone time.

Stay strong <3
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry.

Here are my thoughts. It JUST happened. Give yourself some time, you may go through some different phases over the next few weeks. Do not stress yourself over your eating during this time. Do not weigh yourself either because you may fluctuate due to sodium and if this is going to upset you, just don't weigh. If after a few weeks you are not able to stop, then look for some ways to try to put the brakes on. But right now, just give yourself some time.

This...

Also...when my dad died on a car accident I was also in when I was 9. This is what I did, I ate and ate and ate...

Give yourself time to process it. If you can reach out to your PCP or if you have an EAP at work and try to find a counselor. That may help. Not just any counselor either, you have to find out what they specialize in and go from there.

I am sooooo sorry for your loss.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this.

I lost my brother pretty suddenly almost two years ago. As a person with existing binging issues it was a difficult time for me weight/fitness wise.

Be patient with yourself. Seek out a grief counselor to assist you and your family. And understand that you will act irrationally at times when dealing with such a difficult situation, eventually you'll start to be able to identify when you're acting out of grief and it will get easier to deal with/curb the irrational behavior.

It just takes time. And we all grieve differently.
  • luvnocean
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear this. No child should lose their parent.

I lost my husband to Cancer in August and my daughter is 21, and sons 18 and 15. We work thru it by keeping busy with things other than food. I work out after work and take college classes. I have a good support system of friends and family. You need to make sure you have someone you can lean on besides food. The two older children are in College and the books keep them busy, my younger son has joined the swim team.

Find hobbies that can make you feel good about yourself. I have been getting hair cuts and color, pedicures and manicures (all things i never did before) Anything to make my life worth living and not to eat away my sorrow.

Good luck.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. :frown:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So sorry to here this. My dad passed on a couple of weeks before Christmas...different circumstances but quite unexpected as he was relatively young. I'd like to say it has gotten easier...and to some extent it has, but I'm still in mourning and some days are just very bad for me in that RE.

I had the opposite problem though, I basically had to force myself to just get basic nutrition....I was taking in most of my calories with bourbon and just forcing down some yogurt and stuff every once in awhile. That lasted a couple of weeks before I decided that I needed to shape up and wasn't doing myself any favors. I also started going to grief counseling weekly which has really helped.

I made it a point to just focus on my nutrition and fitness. All and all, making sure I get my workouts in as planned, regardless as to whether I feel up to it or not has made the biggest difference for me...that and the counseling.

My condolences.
  • Metallymean
    Metallymean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow, I really hadn't expected this amount of support - I'm totally bawling my eyes out right now, jeez. Every single one of your comments is so supportive and sweet and really makes me feel so much better. This is exactly what I needed and I can't thank you guys enough at the moment.

I can't really talk about food with anyone around me, since nobody in my family has struggled with weight and food the way I have. For them it's easy to tell me that I shouldn't worry about what I put in my mouth, because they themselves don't even think about it at 'normal' times. I really needed the confirmation from people who do know how that feels that it's okay. That I won't immidiately turn into the piggy I used to be. And that I'm not a slacker for quitting diet so 'easily'.

At the moment I just have so many questions, and thanks to you guys there's at least one I can cross off. It really makes me feel so much better.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to say about the food part but I wanted to tell you my heart goes out to you and your family. I cannot imagine what you must all be feeling right now. I've lost several loved ones and the only advice I can give you is to allow yourself to feel what you feel. Those stages of grief are real and nothing to feel bad about. My prayers are with you and if a brownie helps at a time like this I'd be inclined to say, eat the brownie. Just maybe not the whole pan. :)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry! I don't really have any good advice for you. I've lost close family members, but I know that's not the same as losing your father. Just try not to give yourself a hard time about it. Maybe go out for a walk whenever you feel like eating, if you can. When you get the urge to eat, distract yourself. And see a counselor if you need to. There's absolutely no shame in doing so.
  • kaygravatt
    Options
    I lost my mom 6 months ago to cancer, though
    I'm much older than you (36) and have a family
    Of my own. Over the past year leading up to
    Losing her to cancer, I had stopped working out
    And watching what I ate and I gained 40lbs. I knew
    That I would get back on the wagon but the pain
    Was just too much starting out. Give yourself time.
    If you need the outlet of baking and eating to cope
    With this unexpected loss, it's okay. Keep in mind
    That exercising will help you tremendously in the healing
    Process but only when you are ready. Be gentle with
    Yourself. You've gone through something traumatic
    And giving yourself time to get back on track is OK.
    So sorry for your loss.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :heart: