Insanity - is it good? & other advice?

Options
Hello loves! I recently talked to a few friends who started doing Insanity, and I was just wondering, is it a good workout?
Is it effective?
I know the whole "If you stick with it, it works" thing, but I also have gotten NO results from "30 Day Shred" even though I ate right and everything.
What do you recommend if I do start Insanity? What can I expect?
Success stories?

On another note: (NO I'M NOT THINKING ABOUT DOING THIS!) I just need advice on the dangers/pros of this.
An acquaintance(she's 19) of mine recently started doing a water-fasting 30 day diet. Where she doesn't eat anything for 30 days, just drinks a lot of water. She's hoping to lost 70lbs in a month with this.
I'm worried because she has a kid, and currently pregnant.
She's mainly doing this because she needs to lose 40lbs to get weight-loss surgery.
So am I worrying for nothing? Is she going to be okay?
I'm a worry-wart. I understand it's none of my business, but when she has a kid and currently pregnant, I'm worried for her family.

Replies

• xxadidnac
    Options
    Water diet ? that has to be the most insane thing i have ever heard ..
    and while pregant , my heart hurts for the unborn baby.
  • Jessastar
    Options
    Water diet ? that has to be the most insane thing i have ever heard ..
    and while pregant , my heart hurts for the unborn baby.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.. I thought I was wrong for thinking it was stupid/insane. She said she's done research and apparently there was a women who lived 3 months without food, just drank water and had a 15 calorie salad every now-and-again. My heart hurts for the unborn baby too. :/
  • princessAnA760
    princessAnA760 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of Insanity and my body is really sore. Love it so far.
  • 3rdwoozie5
    3rdwoozie5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 cycles of INSANITY. I'm 55. Without question, the hardest workout I've done yet. But I saw more body changes in the 60 days, (also lost 20 lbs) than I did running 1,200 miles in a year. I will try to do it at least twice a year. To me, it was well worth it. But it's not for everybody.
  • tke1105
    Options
    I've been seeing great results with T25. 2-5 lbs per week so far and I havent really changed my diet to much, I just stay within my calorie goals. From what friends have said, Insanity is hard and is great, but it requires more free time everyday. I personally dont have that time, so T25 works for me.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    30d H20 diet....freakin stupid.

I'm kind of surprised you have seen no results from 30ds..it was a good routine. Insanity will give you awesome results, but it's more about calories in calories out to lose. I love the program. I don't do it every day, I mix it with weight training.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Lots of free resources out there for all these different calisthenics, body weight/resistance workouts. Find stuff you like and stick with it.
  • Azra124
    Options
    I came onto this thread because I'm thinking out starting Insanity.
    Then you said that bit about your friend.

If she's looking for a way to stop a pregnancy, might I recommend an abortion? If it isn't too late.
    It seems like she is trying to end her pregnancy or does not care about her unborn child.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If you've seen no results with one program another one isn't going to help. You need to look at your diet first.

As far as your pregnant friend water fasting...if that isn't the most selfish act one could commit then I don't know what is.
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    The part about getting weight loss surgery and being pregnant makes no sense. What surgeon would perform weight loss surgery on a pregnant person or someone that intends to get pregnant? If that's her plan, she should look into that detail.

I guess if it's a plan for post-pregnancy...wow. That's a distraction that we would definitely not need in the household. Sleep deprivation and food deprivation at the same time! Throw in some auditory torture and stress. Sounds like a third world prison.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think id call Child Protective Services and see if there is something they can do. That woman shouldnt have children
  • Jessastar
    Options
    I was disappointed that I saw no results in 30ds, i mean, I followed a diet plan planned out by a nutritionist, and did 30ds, but I didn't lose weight, nor noticed a change in my body.
    I had more luck with Tae Bo, but the disk broke, so I was looking into Insanity.

I'm not sure what the girls plan is, but I'm worried about her current child and what she's doing. I mean, what she's doing is it really something that CPS can get involved with?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed that I saw no results in 30ds, i mean, I followed a diet plan planned out by a nutritionist, and did 30ds, but I didn't lose weight, nor noticed a change in my body.
    I had more luck with Tae Bo, but the disk broke, so I was looking into Insanity.

I'm not sure what the girls plan is, but I'm worried about her current child and what she's doing. I mean, what she's doing is it really something that CPS can get involved with?

Its worth calling and asking.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity numerous times (my photo is even in the infomercial and it's real not touched up lol) and it does work for sure! It is amazing!
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    same here...fad diets are never the solution.
  • Laurenjenai
    Options
    Yay!!! I am on day 4, keep going!
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Insanity definitely works. If you're not in pretty good shape, you may end up falling off the wagon like I did. It's intense, so depending on what you're capable of, maybe you should try something a little less intense.

Good luck. (:
  • raaachelmarie
    raaachelmarie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I could never stick with the 30 Day Shred. It would come to like, day four and I'd just be bored with it.

I did Insanity last year and I almost made it all the way through before I hurt myself. If you're going to do it, I recommend that you go and get fitted for shoes because it's so high impact and there's a lot of plyo. There's also a lot of sports drills and it's very easy to roll your ankle, and the right shoes will keep you safe. I really recommend a flat surface, too. I started out on carpet and tripped over my feet a few times.

As far as results go, it really works if you follow the program and eat right. It comes with a book full of recipes and suggestions for counting calories (which I think some of it is a little extreme, and you're on MFP anyway, so you're already counting, I assume). Beach Body also sends you vitamins, which I've never taken. I gave them to a family friend and he said that they give him a lot of energy. Month one of the program just gets you in shape for month two, building muscle, upping your endurance and stamina. Personally, I didn't notice much weight less during the first month, but my clothes did fit better and I was much stronger. Come month two, pounds start falling off.

It is really long, though. That's the only downside to it because it's as fun as an intense workout can be, and Shaun T is a good motivator.

I hope that helped and good luck! :)
  • fannixch
    Options
    I just got Insanity today and I'm starting tomorrow. I guess it should work if you stick with it and watch your diet.
    I'll come back with results :)
  • Laurenjenai
    Options
    How is the insanity going for you?