craving fast food.

Options
Ok so my grandma and I went to BK today and off course I got bad stuff. I always crave food and at home I eat at night. Tomorrow is mom's birthday and we are going to crackel barrel and we are going to have cake. I mean I dont want to depived myself. Sighs.

Replies

• 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    We can't all be perfect all of the time. We just have to keep trying our best until we get where we want to be. Logging your food can be your first step in the right direction. Once you get into the habit of logging every food every day you can work on making healthy choices*. Does your grandma know you are trying to lose weight? Or your mom? Maybe having their support in this will help you make healthier choices.

ETA -- *And by healthy choices I mean staying at your calorie goal. I don't mean to imply that a person cannot make healthy choices at BK, Cracker Barrel or where ever they choose to eat.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Check out the Cracker Barrel menu before you go and find something that fits your goals - don't forget to account for the cake!

My husband's birthday is this weekend, so I do understand. We will be having fondue and cheesecake. But we, are also planning to rent kayaks and possibly go for a bike a ride.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Planning these kind of days out can make them much more manageable. Try to make time for some extra exercise, look up menus to determine what would be the best option to not completely demolish your calorie goals, etc.

Cravings go away with time. If they're really bad, try 'tapering'. Think about the longest you could go without giving into a craving (let's say 5 days). Plan on having one every 5 days. After a couple trips, go for 6-7 days without it. Then 8-9. Then 2 weeks, etc. Break yourself of the habit and then reintroduce it as a planned cheat if you want to later.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well just eat what you crave but measured portions. Fried Chicken, just eat the breast or whatever and tear off the skin. Cracker Barrel cake, scrape off the frosting ( rich frosting is greasy and not appetizing to me anyways) . And get your body walking and burn some extra calories. All in all, get over the falls and pick up and continue the journey.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Maybe opt for lighter options? Does BK do a chicken burger? (I haven't been for ages!) maybe ask for no mayo. Go for a small fizzy drink instead of a large? Input it now what you're going to have and work backwards so you know how many you have for the rest of the day. Fruit in the morning and then a soup/salad at lunch? Should you a decent amount of calories to spare :)

I know I'll probably have Chinese tomorrow (and have already decided I'm having M&S chocolate pudding for dessert) so I've inputted what I'm going to have already so I stick to it. Can still enjoy, one day won't hurt but small alterations help.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: you need to eat plenty of high protein and low fat foods! stop the fast food eating! that stuff will kill you! cracker barrel is not a healthy eating place but plan in advance by leaving off the high carb foods! eat egg omelet with fresh veggies! it sounds to me you don't have your heart into healthy eating like you should! do the research, before you put things in your mouth that is not good for you! we all have to make our mind up on what our priorities are, healthy living or overweight eating junk foodie! the choice is yours to live or die at an early death!
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For birthday / events plan the rest of your days food around the cake.
    For night time eating, stock up on celery or watermelon for crunchy or sweet snacks, and drink some hot tea, it works for me.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I look at my calorie goals by the week rather than by the day because its not feasible for me to eat exactly 1700 calories every day, sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm under but over the course of the week it balances out. This helps because I tend to eat out on Friday & Sunday pretty much every single week, and I enjoy these meals out and am not willing to give them up or be stuck with just a salad and a glass of water (which is ok sometimes but sometimes I want those onion rings!!)

Remind yourself "I didn't gain this weight in a day, I'm not going to lose it in a day, and one bad day isn't going to ruin my chances of being happy and healthy and fit"
    So: don't eat 3 pieces of cake but dont feel bad about enjoying every bite of the piece you do eat! Plan to eat a little lighter the rest of the day and/or throughout the rest of the week to make up for the bad.

Also with fast food: I highly recommend becoming a snob! Think of the place that has the best french fries around. For me its five guys, tell yourself those are the only fries worth eating and make it a point to not waste your time on inferior fries (or burgers or cupcakes or whatever your vice is). I wont say that I never go to burger king anymore (there is one literally a 90 second walk from my home... sometimes it happens) but since I started cultivating the snob in myself I have found that I really dont like BK as much as I used to, and it really isn't worth it and that gives me the ability to say no more often than not.
  • LittleMama2015
    LittleMama2015 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel has a new Wholesome Menu. It has a lot of healthier version like oven fried chicken(its delicious) baked fish and good for you vegetables :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    there really is no bad food…did you stay in a deficit for the day? If yes, then you are good to go …

Food is just energy ..when we demonize it as bad, evil, etc it just makes us restrict foods, which then makes us crave them more..

Fit the foods you want into your daily goals/deficit and you will have long term success…

I am going to go have some gelato...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    :flowerforyou: you need to eat plenty of high protein and low fat foods! stop the fast food eating! that stuff will kill you! cracker barrel is not a healthy eating place but plan in advance by leaving off the high carb foods! eat egg omelet with fresh veggies! it sounds to me you don't have your heart into healthy eating like you should! do the research, before you put things in your mouth that is not good for you! we all have to make our mind up on what our priorities are, healthy living or overweight eating junk foodie! the choice is yours to live or die at an early death!

no no no …

wow, alarmist some? You are not going to die an early death from eating some fast food …geez …

OP - ignore this.
  • TheMenaceDenis
    Options
    IIFYM.com

Perhaps?
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

no no no …

wow, alarmist some? You are not going to die an early death from eating some fast food …geez …

OP - ignore this.

but the flower smiley means its said with love and is being said for her own good!! lol

yeah OP ignore this, I ate Burger King on Sunday. I did not die. yay! with every bite though I was wishing it was Five Guys french fries...
  • Candiedginger
    Candiedginger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Interesting BK double cheese burger is about the only fast food I crave at times. I love the char broiled flavor! It gets easier the longer you stay away but something you remember and love is good to keep yourself from being deprived as long as you work it in. Seems when I have to stop and eat fast food it doesn't come close to being as good as I remembered. At least for me that is. Celebrate the Birthday and don't beat yourself up. Tomorrow is another day. One day at a time.:smile:
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Why is it that in nearly every post I read here when people go out to celebrate they pick franchise fast food places? I mean really are there no nice restaurants in your city where you can enjoy a nice birthday celebration meal which is also healthy? I eat out a lot (way too much) but always pick a nice restaurant or pub/bistro so I can choose healthy meal options which are still delicious.

And as for that person who doesn't think junk food kills people - well you are wrong plain and simple. Why do you think governments are taxing junk food? Because it is the leading cause of heart disease, diabetes and other food related diseases sheesh!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Why is it that in nearly every post I read here when people go out to celebrate they pick franchise fast food places? I mean really are there no nice restaurants in your city where you can enjoy a nice birthday celebration meal which is also healthy? I eat out a lot (way too much) but always pick a nice restaurant or pub/bistro so I can choose healthy meal options which are still delicious.

And as for that person who doesn't think junk food kills people - well you are wrong plain and simple. Why do you think governments are taxing junk food? Because it is the leading cause of heart disease, diabetes and other food related diseases sheesh!

did you ever consider that everyone is not on the same budget as you and may not be able to afford a high end restaurant? Wow….we are glad that you can afford to go to pubs/bistros/high end restaurants. Unfortunately , the little people out here are not so fortunate...

Again, there is no "junk food" there is just food that you utilize for energy. Eat too much you gain, eat less you lose..calories in vs calories out.

Governments tax food, because they can and because they want more revenue, period.

Water kills people too…so should we all avoid swimming?
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    what is wrong with going to crackal barrel??
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken Breast
    A tender chicken breast coated in buttermilk and cornflake crumbs and baked until crispy. Served with Mixed Seasonal Vegetables or fresh Steamed Broccoli, and a side of your choice.
    500 CALORIES AS SHOWN

Pepper-Grilled Sirloin**
    An 8 oz. USDA Choice Top Sirloin seasoned with three kinds of cracked pepper and grilled to order. Served with Mixed Seasonal Vegetables or fresh Steamed Broccoli, and a side of your choice.
    530 CALORIES AS SHOWN

Spice Rubbed Pork Chop
    Our Campfire seasoning and orange mustard glaze give this bone-in chop real flavor. Served with Mixed Seasonal Vegetables or fresh steamed broccoli, and a side of your choice.
    420 CALORIES AS SHOWN

Fruit Cobbler with Ice Cream

Each day we prepare and bake a special fruit cobbler right in our own kitchens and serve it up to you nice and warm with our own Premium Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

I may get one of the dinners above. I dont know what one though.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Ridiculous post is ridiculous.

Op, just make healthier choices and fit them into your calorie goal for the day. Last night I was craving Panda Express bad (my favorite fast food) and I just went and got some, ate it, and today I'm over it and am back to eating what I normally do. And since I satisfied my craving instead of trying to ignore it and eat something I didn't want to, I am perfectly happy eating my chicken tonight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that people have cravings for fast food, particularly since that food is utter dung. I've not had it in forever, but man... whenever I see a McD's double quarter pounder... I totally want it, chased by a big mac. whiskey tango foxtrot.

What's with that?