Starting 30 Day Shred

So, lately I have been doing yoga, but I haven't been seeing much progress. I bought the 30 Day Shred, and plan on starting tomorrow. I have noticed that quite a few people have done it on this website. I was wondering what I can expect? I know it will be hard, and I know it varies, but what can I expect in general with weight loss? Does it take a long time?

I know I have a lot of weight to go, and I get so discouraged when the scale goes down but the inches refuse to come off.

Also, what kind diet do you recommend for this workout?

Replies

• JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Jillian includes a sample diet with her program.

A good rule of thumb for each meal is: 1/4 of your plate protein, 1/4th healthy carb, and 2/4th vegetables.

I personally know people who've lost 10 pounds their first month with 30 day shred as their only form of exercise. And there's ton of people here who have done the same.

The most important thing is watching what you eat. Eating healthy. Calorie deficit = weight loss.

Don't think of it as a diet. Setup a new way of life!

Good luck. :)
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    You will definitely lose inches regardless of what the scale says. Give your knees a big hug and kiss before you begin - they are not going to like you for the next 30 days. It's a great all around workout.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    When I started making changes to my lifestyle, I had a lot to lose. I did 30 day shred a little different than most people--I did 30 days at each level, and I didn't take rest days. I also did the first 14 days with NO weights---I was crazy out of shape, and I didn't need the weights to see results. I lost 15lbs in my first 30 days (netting about 1500 cals a day)--and that was only doing level 1. I lost 18lbs in my second 30 days only doing level 2 (still netting 1400-1500 cals a day). I did 30 day shred for 90 consecutive days and was INCREDIBLY happy with my results.
    I went to Shaun T's Focus T25 after spending about 100 days with Jillian, and it was good, but I lost interest. I started running, and did that as my only form of exercise for a few months.
    Ive lost a total of 70lbs, and I'm back to 30 day shred now...though only working out M-F, using 5lb weights, and only spending 10 days at each level...almost through with level 2...and in the last 17 days I've lost an inch from my neck, an inch from my waist and 1.5inches from my hips.
    I eat 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat...with shred you actually get a little strength training and the protein helps build muscle.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    My only advice is to warm up your shins properly before pressing play on the dvd. Or put a mat down if you have hard flooring. I had to stop half way through level 2 because of shin splints and I'm a healthy weight.

Other than that I enjoyed feeling my endurance improve and I lost xmas weight quickly.

Good luck!
  • TP2323
    TP2323 Posts: 32
    I'm doing it now and I hate it. I am on Level 3. I would have quit a long time ago if I wasn't allowing my Youtube subscribers to watch my progress. It's boring, repetitive and annoying. I have just decided to do it every other day so I won't start hating my life.

It was okay when I first started it but I have since joined a gym for the first time and the classes are more interesting than the DVD so doing BOTH annoys me and I want to quit the 30 Day Shred but I only have 8 days left. I can handle it and I don't think I'll ever do it again.

I have lost 5 lbs and inches all over my body. But that is from eating at a calorie deficit AND I only have a deficit because I exercise more. That is what the DVD is for, to make sure you move around more to create a deficit for your calories.

Oh yeah, this workout in particular builds strength so that's a plus. I do my workouts with water bottles, 1 liter bottles = 2.2 lbs.

Have fun. Tailor the workout to meet your lifestyle. You are not racing with anyone. Find something that makes you want to get up and do it and you won't have to worry about the weight, it will slide off.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    I'm just re-starting 30 day shred, although I don't do it every day, I alternate it a bit with jogging and swimming.

From experience I would say spend a little longer warming up and stretching at the end as the warm up and cool down stretches in the DVD are not very thorough in my opinion.

And good luck!
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    It's boring, repetitive and annoying.

I agree with this too, doing it everyday hearing the same stuff gets extremely boring, and the music in level 2 is annoying lol
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    I'm doing it now and I hate it. I am on Level 3. I would have quit a long time ago if I wasn't allowing my Youtube subscribers to watch my progress. It's boring, repetitive and annoying. I have just decided to do it every other day so I won't start hating my life.

I couldn't agree with you more:laugh: . By day 6 I want to shoot myself and Jillian (not in that order of course). I did not finish it because of boredom, plus doing the same thing over and over took a toll on my knees and back. I've done Ripped in 30 which is SO much better than the Shred. You only do that 5-6 times per week take a day or two rest then start the next week/phase of exercises.

I am now doing the 90 Day Body Revolution, which I am in love with so far. I'm still in phase 1, week 2, but she really mixes it up A LOT. The most you do any given 30 minute exercise routine is 4x during the whole program. Plus the 30 minutes seem to fly by because there is so more variety and the other fitness instructors in her video are fun to watch as well.
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    I'm on Level One Day 6 of 30DS....I think it's a great workout. For 20/25 min....I am totally sweating and feeling a difference. Most people lose inches more so than weight. I think if you combine eating healthy and doing the workouts, you should get great results! I'm planning on sticking with it (will be my first time doing level 2 and 3!).......great strength and cardio even if Jillian is annoying!....I'm looking to lose weight and tone up! Good luck!!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    I also want to add that the farthest I got with the 30 Shred (I've attempted it twice) was 16 days, but I did have good results, so if you can get thorugh it, you will be happy. Just take rest days and be careful if you have knee ot back issues.
  • bethann51774
    bethann51774 Posts: 19 Member
    Started on Sunday, and I just finished Day 4. Call me crazy, and maybe I'll eat my words later, but I LIKE the repetitiveness. I know when I get to those awful side lunge lifts that I am almost done. It is a quick workout, and by no means would I make it the only thing I do, but I needed to add some strength training and I don't have a gym.

I do remember that the last time I did it, my knees really took a beating. I actually think Level 1 is worse for the knees than Level 2, but I have trouble with the real pushups in Level 2. We'll see what happens this time!
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    I agree with the others that Jillian is annoying, but for me this workout got some great results with only 30 minutes a day. 12 lbs and 10 inches lost. I just ate sensibly, lots of salads for dinner, while cutting out most gluten and dairy.
  • Thanxs for all you guys said. I started today. I literally couldn't make it all the way through. I made it 16 minutes in, then I physically could no make it through so I forwarded to the cooldown. I'm drenched in sweat, my heart is still racing. Some stuff I still can't do physically, I feel like this video wasn't made for people with a big stomach in the way.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Awwww, don't feel too disheartened. I was exactly the same, I barely made the full way through and I exercise regularly. It is a really hard video! But keep going, and every day you'll be able to do a bit more and a bit more I promise. It does get easier.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    It's boring, repetitive and annoying.

I agree with this too, doing it everyday hearing the same stuff gets extremely boring, and the music in level 2 is annoying lol

Same. I love 30DS for how real the results were (all I cared about was inches lost anyway) but having done it 4+ times, it's hard to stick with it every day.

P.S. OP if this is your first time through 30DS, don't give up. I could barely do jumping jacks for 30 secs when I first popped in the DVD for the first time, within a few days, I could get through it all without breaks. If there is any advice you could take from the internet - take the advice that says it will get better. It will and you will be astounded by how many inches you lose. Stick with it!