Could use your input/thoughts/ideas

Options
Hi All,

So I've kinda stalled after an exciting 25 pound loss. I was averaging at least 2 pounds a week since I started in November last year. But since January 21st I've only lost 1 pound. I'm hitting my numbers pretty consistently and create a deficit from eating and exercise. Since this started I've tried a couple things. 1. Taking a break from alcohol; & 2. Incorporating weight training. I thought for sure this would get me back on track to 2 pounds a week again. Well, the scale just isn't moving. It's like I'm just maintaining my current weight. Should I just be patient? Is adding weight training causing me to maintain? Should I start drinking again? :) I'd love to get your ideas/feedback. If the answer is the last 20 pounds are a hell of a lot harder than the first 25 that's fine but I just need to know that. From everything I read on here it seems like I should be losing 2lbs a week if I'm creating a deficit which I am.

Thanks upfront!

Stats:
SW = 214
CW = 189
GW = 170
Age = 34
Height = 5'8"

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    January 21st wasn't very long ago. You had one week where you didn't reach two pounds. That isn't even a stall, much less a plateau. Keep up the good work and consider putting the scale away for a few weeks.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    ^Ditto.

In addition, after starting a new workout program, you will retain more water as your muscles repair themselves. After maintaining my weight for over a year, I GAINED 5 lbs when I started running. It took over a month for it to go away.

And 2 lbs/week is too aggressive of a weight loss goal for where you are. You risk losing more lean mass than you would with a more reasonable weight loss rate. You should be losing no more than 1 lb a week with only 20 lbs left, switching to 1/2 lb/week as you get closer to goal.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll stop weighing myself every morning and transition to a weekly weight-in. I agree maybe it's time to adjust the goal/expectation to a 1 pound a week. I appreciate your thoughts.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    Nice job so far! Maybe start doing some body measurements too, to see if there are any positive changes in that regard that will minimize the frustration of not losing pounds.
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I actually had about a month where I lost nothing and was working out 5x a week and constantly at a deficit and hitting macros-I added 200 calories a day and weight started coming off again. Another plateau broke when I started drinking more water. Sometimes the craziest things cause it-you can tweak things until it starts working again but I wouldn't worry too much yet. Good luck!