Low sodium - headache?

Options
I've had a wicked headache today. I get headaches like this every once in a while, but I almost always contribute it to not having eaten enough, or had enough water. Neither helped today, so I took Tylenol.
What I have noticed is that my sodium has been in the green by 500-1000 every day for the last 3 days. I don't add salt to food. Do you think this is a contributing factor? What can I do to up my sodium in a healthy way?

Replies

• planetjen79
    planetjen79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes. Headaches can be triggered by low sodium. Simply add a little table salt to your food. The amount needed varies through the day, with activity and even the weather. You just have to experiment a bit. Sodium isn't bad. You just don't want to go WAY overboard.

p.s. oops didn't see how old that post was... back to lurking.. it's safer.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    If you don't like adding salt to food then eat food that are salter.

Eat some salted nuts, bacon, bananas or perhaps go for some low calorie sports drinks.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have chronically too little salt (on average between 350 and 850), but I only ever realised how it was affecting me when it go so low that my blood pressure dropped quite badly at night. However one day last week I had very large portion of soba noodles and that was about 4000mg of sodium, but my word did I feel incredible. Clearly having that much every day is not advisable, but I definitely have to start adding soy sauce and salt to my salads and perhaps aim for at least 1500 - 2000mg every day :-)
  • enlighted09
    enlighted09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You could also use the Salt Sense. It has less sodium in each teaspoon than regular salt. Using a little at time may boost your sodium just enough. It works for me when I eat right and stay with my plan. My mom's nutritionist suggested it. So I been using it bc I have hypertension.
  • planetjen79
    planetjen79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I just thought it was slightly absurd that I might get low sodium...but since I've had these weird headaches and I see that I'm consistently below by 500-1000/day. Im sure I'm eating some things that don't factor it in, but I have added a tiny bit of salt into my food and the headache is gone!