5'0 with some weight to lose bad muscle to gain!

Hey! My name is Kelly. I'm 5'0 and weigh 112 lb.. I'm not a doctor, but the numbers seem fine to me.. But how I look isn't. I don't have a large amount of actual weight to lose, but I need to lose fat and gain muscle. I have stomach fat and love handles that I can't seem to kick. I've started dieting and gone back to the gym as of the 1st. I've lost a couple couple lb and gained a little muscle already, but I have a lot more work to do. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. The hardest part has been dieting.. I love food and a lot of it! :) but I've been doing good! If anyone is just looking for support or someone to talk to, I'm in need of the same!

I'm also curious about protein shakes, something low in calories and high on protein, any suggestions? Or should I even be drinking a daily protein shake?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I would eat at maintenance (or a VERY slight deficit, like 100-150 cals) and focus on a good strength program. Heavy weights.

Try New rules of Lifting for women, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts (SL is my preference of the three). The little fat will come off slowly and without any specific effort with weight training and a slight deficit.
  • I would eat at maintenance (or a VERY slight deficit, like 100-150 cals) and focus on a good strength program. Heavy weights.

Try New rules of Lifting for women, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts (SL is my preference of the three). The little fat will come off slowly and without any specific effort with weight training and a slight deficit.

Thank you!! I'll definitely look into those tonight! I've been doing a lot of cardio, just because I'm out of shape and want to get my endurance back up. I'm an ex athlete who is not used to having to do so much work to stay in shape.. But I'm learning.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I would eat at maintenance (or a VERY slight deficit, like 100-150 cals) and focus on a good strength program. Heavy weights.

Thank you!! I'll definitely look into those tonight! I've been doing a lot of cardio, just because I'm out of shape and want to get my endurance back up. I'm an ex athlete who is not used to having to do so much work to stay in shape.. But I'm learning.

You can do as much or as little cardio as you like, but the strength training will get you the results you're looking for. :happy:
  • I would eat at maintenance (or a VERY slight deficit, like 100-150 cals) and focus on a good strength program. Heavy weights.

You can do as much or as little cardio as you like, but the strength training will get you the results you're looking for. :happy:

I do appreciate it. I've always only done body weight training, with motocross/snocross, it was enough. Not so much anymore... I'm going to check out strong lifts tonight, I need a starting point.. And hopefully that's it! :)

Thanks again
  • There is no magic pill. There is only sensible eating and exercise (to do the toning and help speed up weight loss).
    I am doing the program I found at http://inshapenow.net and loving the results.
    You can too. It's just for women so we can get the lean, sexy body we have always wanted. Come be supported by 100s of members that have done this or are doing this system.

To your weight loss success!