How different do people treat you once you lose weight?

Options
I've lost about 30kg (66lbs) through a change in diet and weight lifting a couple years back and I still have a little bit left to go. I started noticing that people treated me more kindly, smile and made longer eye contact as I lost the weight and tightened up. I realize that it was also because I felt more energetic, confidence and happy, which contributed to this social change. However, the dramatic difference in how service people and strangers look at me even without interaction is something that I has taken me some time to process.

I am the same person on the inside looking out from a different shell, but all of a sudden, the outside world seem to treat you a little differently.
Some people now look at me like that "fit chick" who has no idea what it's like to have problems. Oh I really giggle at this.

Although weight loss can change the way some people perceive you, I think it is ultimately how you feel about yourself that matters.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Replies

• Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No I've never had that feeling. You are right it is ultimately about how one feels. Your before & after weight experience is a damning indictment on society and how it regards the overweight.
    I'm lookimg forward to hearing others experiences.

Well done with the 30kg weight loss !!!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The things I've noticed is that salespeople in clothing stores are more friendly and helpful and men in bars/clubs approach me more. People I know treat me the same.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I do get treated better in the fact of I don't attract attention like I did when I was extremely overweight. People staring and laughing making fun of me etc.
  • gvrbabygirl
    gvrbabygirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 pounds in 2003 and DEFINITELY noticed a difference. Guys in the mall would hand me party flyers. I used to get ignored in stores like Foot Locker where the staff were mostly male. All of a sudden 2 at a time would come and ask if I needed help. I was just separating from an unfaithful spouse at the time and really enjoyed the attention. But at the same time, it was very hollow.

When you're big, and people love you, you know they love YOU. When you're slim and "sexy" it makes you wonder what it is they actually want from you.

I was young and dumb, but it sure was fun :bigsmile:
  • flochocinco
    Options
    I've lost 40kg last year and also noticed a huge difference!

At works, women now ask me how I'm feeling, How was my week-end etc... Things that they never asked before! I also do sport and used to be with many (female) friends who are now more nice with me.
    In the beginning I hated this feeling because I'm still the same... only my body has changed! But now I prefer to take it as a compliment and love that!

When I was big I was single and when I was looking for a girlfriend I was able to know if a girl is really interested in me or simply finds me sexy. Other good point, when you are not sexy and people let it you now you have to be an "interesting persons".
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes some people do treat you differently than they did before most have been mentioned in earlier posts But has anyone experienced friends being jealous of the new slim you? I have been quite surprised by two so called female friends who, although appear to be happy for me, actually say things like " I'll make sure you don't put all that weight back on" ie " hang on to some of your good big clothes just in case!" If I was a young woman I could understand this but as I am in my 60s find it quite amusing that they appear to be threatened by the new me!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've noticed very little difference. But that may be because although my body has changed, my death stare has remained much the same.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference. I have lost 52lbs so far and peoples attitudes are very different towards me. Before I used to get comments from strangers when I was out; suggesting weight watchers, making pig faces, telling me to put food back when I was at the supermarket etc.sometimes my friends could be very judgemental and innaproriate too .I wasn't actually that big.
    Anyway now I've lost weight I get a lot of comments from people esp at the gym asking me how much more weight have l lost since they last saw me, how much do I weigh now, people grabbing me to feel how small I am, also making assumptions about me. People assume I have always been big and i must feel so much better now im slimmer. I really dislike this kind of attention, its validating me because I wear a smaller clothes size, its like im suddenly a more worthy member of society, also its no ones business how much I weigh. I don't mind being told that I'm looking stronger or healthier as that's what I'm aiming for.
    I have also been my ideal weight and also ,due to illness, been severely underweight ( 5'7 and weighed 7 stone) before and the reaction I got from that was very messed up. I was skin and bone and people thought it was great, I had people taking photos of me cos apparently I looked great and people asking to kiss my very prominent cheekbones .
    I don't mind the occasional comment from people about my weight loss, the 'congratulations' or 'well done' is nice to hear, after all i have worked very hard and people understand that too. But it can be intrusive and unhealthy.
  • Filmlotus
    Filmlotus Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    flochocinco- That's a very interesting point. I often had trouble figuring out whether people were attracted to me because of shallow reasons, or because they liked me for my personality and brain. I guess you can't blame people for their instinctual reactions, even I get impressed by very good looking people :p Its often the case that you figure out the answer when you chat to someone further.

honsi - I can totally relate. The compliments can be flattering, but up to a point it can get a little insulting. For example when people say "Wow you look so much better than you did before", "Wow you used to look HUGE, now you look great!".. Gee thanks, I didn't know you used to think of me that way but didn't say :s Yeah, there's a fine line between a sincere "congratulations", and "good, now you're normal like the rest of us" feeling.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've noticed very little difference. But that may be because although my body has changed, my death stare has remained much the same.

Same haha!
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have much weight to lose so the only difference now is that whereas people used to assure me that I was "in a reasonable weight range," they now say I need to gain weight :laugh:
  • excusesgonowhere
    Options
    Yes. I had a very similar experience in 2011. I had was 182 pounds (83kg) and through diet changes and following an exercise program I dropped to 138 pounds (63kg).

People who were in my world before I lost the weight and loved me and knew me before treated me the same, but it was definitely strangers in the service station, grocery store and/or out to dinner that I noticed treated me differently. Where as before they would look right through me or not even notice me, at that weight they always seemed to be looking at me. Having said that though, I never felt like they were really seeing me for me. I felt like they were only responding to me because we live in a society where people are just naturally attracted to aesthetically pleasing things. My body was in very good shape and people responded to that .I also had people who weren't on my radar but that I had known from years a go wanting to get back in touch. It use to upset me, but now I realise that is just the society we have created and I pride myself on the fact that when I walk down the street I smile at people no matter what they look like. Tall, skinny, fat, short, lumpy, one leg, purple, pink, olive skinned, whatever, we are human beings.

I would even have regulars in the gym approach me and ask what I ate, what my exercise routine was etc etc and it was all because I had dropped kilos/pounds. I remember at the time thinking how good it would be if people were brave enough to talk to each other before noticeable changes and support one another as they were going through the change process.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to lose much weight. (I was 65kg. now I am 52kg.) But I did noticed difference. My family treats me the same (very supportive, although they are always worried about me) but other people that I know are always making me compliments. They say that I really changed for the past year (and not because of the weight only, but changed in the face I guess because I'm growing up ( from 18-19 years old.)) I'm really shy and sometimes I feel uncomfortable, but in a good way. Like I don't even know what to say to "Wow you've changed so much, you're all grow up now, you've lost so much weight" besides "thank you"
  • gvrbabygirl
    gvrbabygirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wow no, i never experienced that. how horrible. :( Well I'm happy for you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I realize that it was also because I felt more energetic, confidence and happy, which contributed to this social change. However, the dramatic difference in how service people and strangers look at me even without interaction is something that I has taken me some time to process.

your confidence is what people are responding too. even when I was fat I was a confident guy and people have responded to my personality in turn. nothing has really changed with my weight loss. One of my best friends is a big, fat, obese mofo but he has the charisma of god...people love him...chicks dig him...nobody really notices that he's fat.

conversely, i know people who are at perfectly healthy weights and look just fine, but their self esteem is nil and have zero confidence...people respond accordingly. I don't think it has anything to do directly with the weight itself...
  • 3rdwoozie5
    3rdwoozie5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I argee with wolfman, how you act and feel about yourself gets more response than your appearance. When you feel confident in your appearance and feelings, it shows to people who notice. When you are embarrased and depressed about yourself, that comes out too.
  • MandaPanda0690
    MandaPanda0690 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am not there yet, but seeing some of these posts makes me a little sad. It just shows how shallow our society can be if you are treated differently because of your current weight. When I get fit, I will be happy because I am healthier not because some stranger may be more likely to help me in a clothing store or offer to buy me a beer at the bar.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that people seem to treat me more harshly actually, since losing over 100 lb in the past several years. I've found the biggest difference in the workplace. I think people assume that I'm smart now, which can be both good and bad. I am intelligent but I really think in the past some of my employers and coworkers viewed me as the "sweet fat woman" and did not have very high expectations of me. Whereas now I am just seen as a peer or as competition even. I think part of this is the way I carry myself has changed somewhat and I am more confident. I was never the miserable obese woman and have always had decent self-esteem but I truly think when I was heavier, I had more of an apologetic air about me and it caused some people to treat me with extra kindness borne of pity :-/

As for the positive (?) side, I find that when my friends or family introduce me to their other friends, I am more accepted and welcomed. For example when my best friend (a SAHM in her 30s) used to introduce me to her other friends they were like "oh hello" and that's it. Now the friends she introduces me to are more likely to friend me on facebook, ask me about myself and my life, and suggest I join them for various activities. It's kind of nice although I'm glad it's not the SAME friends who were less friendly before my weight loss or that would bug me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yes some people do treat you differently than they did before most have been mentioned in earlier posts But has anyone experienced friends being jealous of the new slim you? I have been quite surprised by two so called female friends who, although appear to be happy for me, actually say things like " I'll make sure you don't put all that weight back on" ie " hang on to some of your good big clothes just in case!" If I was a young woman I could understand this but as I am in my 60s find it quite amusing that they appear to be threatened by the new me!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mostly I've had friends who feel a bit threatened because they are used to me always being the biggest and now they are. Also, a lot of them have been dieting and doing various fads (shakes, programs, etc) for the past 15 years and I was just always fat and didn't care...until I did...then I lost 45 lb without saying a word and then joined MFP and lost 63 lb. So they're kinda like "WTF you didn't even try everything, it's not fair".
  • katw0man_
    katw0man_ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Definitely but you just keep on going for you, yourself. People need to realize that it takes you to change your own life. Dont like something? Do something about it.