Beating the hunger monster

Options
I am sticking to a calorie controlled diet and just started to do more exercise, but I really struggle with being so hungry all the time. I don't find my meals are filling me up for very long (if at all) so I'm almost constantly feeling a bit headachey and with gnawing stomach rumbling.

Will I eventually just get used to smaller portions? I try to eat things that are supposed to fill you up, like vegetarian proteins and wholegrains, and I eat tons of vegetables (mainly as salad) but salad doesn't fill you up for any length of time and by the time I go to bed I'm feeling sick with hunger.

Any ideas?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
    How much do you need to lose?
  • Scampimom
    Scampimom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Currently having 1550 calories per day, wanting to lose about 30 pounds in total. I'm not losing weight very quickly (some weeks, no loss at all) which is probably because I am eating a lot of calories for a diet - however, if I'm this hungry on 1550, I don't think I could cope with 1400 or so.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber will help you feel fuller longer. Especially Protein. Try to get as much as you can.
  • bls7964
    Options
    If you are having headaches, that is your bodies way of telling you that you need more food. I do 1 hour of cardio every day and my trainer told me that I need to eat at least 1700 calories a day. I am still losing weight. You may need to eat back a protion of you exercise calories
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    You aren't eating enough hun. Unless you are very very tiny and short and do not move around at all the entire day, you aren't eating enough. Open your diary for more advice.
  • katw0man_
    katw0man_ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level?

As for you being hungry. Try breaking your meals into six smaller for frequent meals. This will keep you satisfied and boost you metabolism.
    but you probably need a bit more protein if anything.
  • twinpoppy
    Options
    And what are you eating on this diet? hard to give you advice if you just give us calories :)
    well I just want to add what I do when feel like eating when i shouldn't:
    -brush my teeth and use mouthwash
    -look at my belly in the mirror (works best but gets me down a bit)
    -drink green tea or herbal tea (warm drink calms down my stomach)
    -in the evening i just drink and try to go to bed early
    :)
  • cathy3457
    cathy3457 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Definitely look for protein and fiber. Also healthy fats. I find healthy fats (in moderation of course) help me feel satisfied longer. Also look at the quality of calories you're eating. If they're empty with no nutritional value, you're continuing to be hungry because your body isn't getting the nutrients it wants.
  • willdb76
    Options
    I eat sugar free jelly (jello to you!) or guzzle diet soda with lots of ice and lemon slices (try and make it feel like a treat).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat? Add a good fat like olive oil or avocado to your salad. It will also help your body process those fat soluble vitamins like Vitamin A. Remember fat does not make you fat. Overeating calories does.