If you go over

Options
Your protein and sodium intake will you still lose weight Just wondering if I need to make adjustments

Replies

• jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    In my experience, as long as you eat fewer calories (no matter where they come from) than you burn, you will lose weight(calorie deficit). I would be happy if I went over my protein goal for the day and I am pretty much always over on sodium. The sodium may make it easier for your body to retain water, so you might feel bloated or not see any drops on the scale due to the water retention.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Jesspurr has a point, you will still lose weight if you remain on a deficit but extra sodium levels may mask out your results for a while.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    MFP sets a very low protein goal.
    Go over it.
    Way over it.

And sodium can cause water retention.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I like to eat 200 grams of protein a day. But if I had my way Id a whole pig or cow. Thats just good stuff there!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Everyone here has said what I came to say!

If you find you're having trouble with sodium a big culprit is prepared foods, anything that comes in a package. It might be convenient but it they put a ton of salt in there. I cook a lot of food on the weekend so I have easy grab stuff throughout the work week to avoid processed/prepared convenience foods. Thats not to say I don't ever eat them I just try to keep it to a minimum :)

and yeah, look at the MFP protein guideline as "the lowest you should ever be" and then aim for double that number!
  • BeHappyRobin
    BeHappyRobin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In my experience, as long as you eat fewer calories (no matter where they come from) than you burn, you will lose weight(calorie deficit). I would be happy if I went over my protein goal for the day and I am pretty much always over on sodium. The sodium may make it easier for your body to retain water, so you might feel bloated or not see any drops on the scale due to the water retention.
    Thank You
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options

and yeah, look at the MFP protein guideline as "the lowest you should ever be" and then aim for double that number!

Really? I don't think I've hit my protein goal once since I've started tracking (a couple weeks ago). Guess I need to work on that...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium can affect weight loss, though it's unlikely to affect fat loss. As others have mentioned, sodium can cause water weight. While you may lose fat, you may be retaining water that makes you look fatter than you are. It can also affect blood pressure, so personally I would try to cut back if you are chronically over.

Going over on protein may be a good thing, especially if you are set at the default and have no medical conditions that affect your kidneys. If you have any medical conditions I would suggest asking your doctor about safe levels of dietary protien.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Your protein and sodium intake will you still lose weight Just wondering if I need to make adjustments

Going over protein intake is fine as long as your body agrees with it. I go over mine daily. And the same with sodium. Unless you have a medical condition with sodium intake, don't worry about it. If you drink enough water it flushes out of your system anyhow.

And no, it doesn't effect weight loss. If you're use to a low sodium diet and you up that, you will hold on to water weight ONLY for a few days but it goes back to normal.
  • firesoul19
    firesoul19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also struggle many days to reach my protein goals, even though I only have it set at 20%. Do you guys just eat huge steaks every day? Protein shakes? I can only eat so much chicken before my stomach starts feeling an aversion, for some reason.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I also struggle many days to reach my protein goals, even though I only have it set at 20%. Do you guys just eat huge steaks every day? Protein shakes? I can only eat so much chicken before my stomach starts feeling an aversion, for some reason.

For breakfast - Eggs or Egg whites.
    Protein Oatmeal - (1 serving raw oats, mix with scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup water / almond milk / or coffee, some sweetener, cinnamon and mix. Sit in the fridge overnight and ...BOOM. Over night protein oatmeal.)

Snack - Quest bar. Low in calories, high in protein (found at GNC) or a protein shake. Greek yogurt with flavoring (plain is NASTY AS HELL). Cottage cheese with salsa / hot sauce / or sweetener with fruit & nuts

Lunch - Tuna with light mayo on a all wheat wrap. Chicken, steak, turkey, hard-boiled eggs,

Dinner - incorporate a lean meat into anything.