Women focused on strength: How much did you gain?

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Well let's just say that everyone is different and the most important thing is to try to put on muscle. Discouraging posts about people you know nothing about is not helpful.

Sorry if you've found my posts unhelpful - that was not my intention.

A lot of people mistakenly believe that they can gain weight, while eating at deficit or maintainance simply by adding strength training. Often it is something else (not logging accurately or simply excess water for recovery).

OP is happy with her results but I found it prudent to mention that she can't have found her actual maintainance figure if weight is still being gained.

I have weight trained at maintainance since Xmas and have stayed the same weight - I expect to add no muscle as I have been doing this for a while and unfortunately, all newbie gains are behind me. When I find the nerve, I'll be following OPs (and many others) example and eating at surplus.

I just think it's important to realise that mass cannot simply materialise from nowhere.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well let's just say that everyone is different and the most important thing is to try to put on muscle. Discouraging posts about people you know nothing about is not helpful.

it's NOT nothing. What she is saying is pretty spot on actually.

For women to truly put on size and muscle it's work- like HARD work. And most people equate strength to size- and you can gain strength without gaining size. Just because you are getting stronger doesn't mean you are bulking. They aren't the same thing.

You don't do it by accident. And what she is doing isn't going to build muscle- there is no progressive overload. She is doing work- yes- and she may be getting stronger- but there is absolutely no way she put on 17 lbs of muscle in a year.

Even when you are actively bulking- you accept and acknowledge that your gain will be fat AND muscle. So if I bulk for 6 months- and put on 10 lbs- it's reasonable to assume I've put on 5-7 lbs of fat- and 5-3 lbs of muscle.

No it's not impossible for women to put on muscle- but it's REALLY hard. Laughable hard. If she's in maintenance than she shouldn't be putting on weight- period. Fluxing up and down is not putting on weight- there will be some flux up and down- anywhere from 5-7 lbs in a day is perfectly normal. But the average of those numbers- tends to be the same.

That being said- clothing- measurements- and visual assessment is WAY better than the scale.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Take some baseline measurements, increase your protein and log consistently at maintenance for 1-2 months. Reevaluate after that and see where you are. You might be eating more than you realize or not burning as much as you think during your workouts. Use a HRM. Weigh your portions.

I go up and down in weight about 5lbs throughout the month. I take an average and if my jeans still fit perfectly I'm okay.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options

For women to truly put on size and muscle it's work- like HARD work. And most people equate strength to size- and you can gain strength without gaining size. Just because you are getting stronger doesn't mean you are bulking. They aren't the same thing.

You don't do it by accident. And what she is doing isn't going to build muscle- there is no progressive overload. She is doing work- yes- and she may be getting stronger- but there is absolutely no way she put on 17 lbs of muscle in a year.

Even when you are actively bulking- you accept and acknowledge that your gain will be fat AND muscle. So if I bulk for 6 months- and put on 10 lbs- it's reasonable to assume I've put on 5-7 lbs of fat- and 5-3 lbs of muscle.

No it's not impossible for women to put on muscle- but it's REALLY hard. Laughable hard. If she's in maintenance than she shouldn't be putting on weight- period. Fluxing up and down is not putting on weight- there will be some flux up and down- anywhere from 5-7 lbs in a day is perfectly normal. But the average of those numbers- tends to be the same.

That being said- clothing- measurements- and visual assessment is WAY better than the scale.

This. I started lifting in March of 2013 and gradually gained a good 15lbs or so. Some of that I intentionally ate at a surplus hoping to put on muscle (while lifting heavy), some of it I just wanted to eat more... ;) I'm guessing I put on 6-8lbs of muscle and I think that is a helluva accomplishment. That said I'm working on cutting now, and I'm pleasantly surprised by my results so far. Granted I'm only a few lbs down, but so far my strength hasn't suffered at all and I feel great. I'm not eating a starvation diet or depriving myself by any means, just making sure I don't overeat, and making sure I get enough protein.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    According to the author of New Rules of Lifting for Women, women can gain up to around 2.5 pounds of muscle in a month. I find it very discouraging when people assume that women can't put on muscle.:frown:

With a lot of hard work and calorie surplus. It's not easy. Also I don't see that the OP is actually lifting any weights.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight, because I started lifting at the same time I started losing weight. But, I ended up having to raise my goal weight by 15lbs because I'm the same size now (if not smaller) than I once was at 15ish pounds heavier. (IDK if that makes sense- the wording feels awkward and I've reworded it a couple times to no avail.

I'm 5'3" and My original goal weight was 125-130 lbs, based on having previously worn a clothing size 4-6 at that weight. I'm now 145 and a comfortable size 4. (some 2's, some 6's). So my body composition is definitely different this time around. Most likely I didn't gain muscle while losing weight- more likely is that I added muscle while gaining 50+lbs and then I was able to preserve a good chunk of it while losing through proper nutrition and training.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

+100

There's a big difference between doing some strength training exercises (what OP and myself are doing) vs someone who is doing a hard core training regiment with progressive heavy lifting, with cutting/bulking. I'm definitely becoming stronger doing strength training, but I know I'm not gaining muscle mass from it. People are talking about two totally different things here in this thread and I think the OP may be confused as to what she's doing?

Also-I'm stronger now AND 'skinny' (I prefer the word thin). The two aren't exclusive of each other, like a previous poster suggested. I also realize doing what I'm doing now, I will not gain muscle mass and get me the look of someone who does heavy lifting (like sarauk). That doesn't mean what I'm doing is 'wrong', it just means I have different goals. I'm getting stronger, getting muscle definition and I'm having fun, all while staying in my maintenance window, which is important to me :smile:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I am wearing my calorie surplus. :laugh: The new weight is coming from somewhere, there is no reason to assume the OP is not putting in the work. I am putting in the work, but I don't log my exercise. I figure my body is doing the correct logging.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OP- I forgot to mention this in my first post. I am very interested in this part of your post:
    Stress:
    None

How does that work? I feel like you must have a secret. Especially with 3 kids!
    TELL ME THE SECRET!

(sorry about the yelling. I am stressed.)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I am wearing my calorie surplus. :laugh: The new weight is coming from somewhere, there is no reason to assume the OP is not putting in the work. I am putting in the work, but I don't log my exercise. I figure my body is doing the correct logging.

I'm not saying she isn't working, but she is doing yoga Pilates and jujitsu. Maybe those involve weights but I don't think so. They will help with strength and flexibility but not put on a lot of muscle, especially 17 lb
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    OP- I forgot to mention this in my first post. I am very interested in this part of your post:
    Stress:
    None

How does that work? I feel like you must have a secret. Especially with 3 kids!
    TELL ME THE SECRET!

(sorry about the yelling. I am stressed.)

As a mom of three kids, I was also wondering this :tongue:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You are not a number on a scale,

Don't let it define you!

We are all worth more than that...

The biggest challenge is to get your mind around the fact that a number doesn't matter., its how you feel that matters.

You sound like you are kickin *kitten*!! keep up the good work, and try to get bast this mental block of caring what the scale says..

HIDE IT!! :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintainance while strength training, I have also strength trained at deficit. I am a bit too scared to try a surplus (silly, I know).

The fact is, you won't gain weight (be it fat or muscle) at maintainance. If you're adding weight, you're eating at surplus.

Nothing wrong with adding muscle weight while shedding fat though, glad it's going well for you - I hope I can find the courage to go for a bulk soon.

This actually makes alot of sense to me. Thank you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I only gained real pounds (not water fluctuations) when I ate at a surplus, and according to measurement estimates of body fat %, half of the gain was muscle. But then my goal weight has also increased, so I have less weight to lose now than my target was before lifting.
  • Twinmamamarion
    Twinmamamarion Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Downloand an app like Snap Track to take photos!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I started lifting and eating basd on TDEE in June 2012 at around 145 lbs (5'8'') at which time I had very little muscle owing to years of yo-yo dieting.

Over the following 18 months I went up to 165 lbs at my heaviest, 10 lbs of which was gained during an intentional bulk.

I've now finally committed to a cut and am back down to around 158 lb, aiming initially for 150 lb, 5 lb heavier than when I started MFP. I already feel that I look better now than when I did at 145 before I lifted.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    I started lifting and eating basd on TDEE in June 2012 at around 145 lbs (5'8'') at which time I had very little muscle owing to years of yo-yo dieting.

Over the following 18 months I went up to 165 lbs at my heaviest, 10 lbs of which was gained during an intentional bulk.

I've now finally committed to a cut and am back down to around 158 lb, aiming initially for 150 lb, 5 lb heavier than when I started MFP. I already feel that I look better now than when I did at 145 before I lifted.

This is the difference between the two things-you're someone who is doing an intentional bulk/cut/progressive heavy lifting. It makes sense that your weight fluctuates. However, the OP is doing yoga, Pilates and then the jiu-jitsu, which I googled-

''Brazilian jiu-jitsu emphasizes getting an opponent to the ground in order to utilize ground fighting techniques and submission holds involving joint-locks and chokeholds. A more precise way of describing this would be to say that on the ground, physical strength can be offset or enhanced by an experienced grappler who knows how to maximize force using mechanical advantage instead of pure physical strength." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu

I don't understand how someone would gain weight, from new muscle gains, doing this type of exercise?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm not saying she isn't working, but she is doing yoga Pilates and jujitsu. Maybe those involve weights but I don't think so. They will help with strength and flexibility but not put on a lot of muscle, especially 17 lb

indeed.

work is not the same as PROGRESSIVE LOADING.

This can be done through weights or body weight- but pilates- yoga and juijitsu don't typically fall into "progressive over load" yoga comes closest by working on progressively hard positions- but you aren't doing reps- you are holding *typically*

regardless- nothing in that post is saying PROGRESSIVE LOADING- and if that comes from body weight- fine- if it comes from weight training fine- doesn't matter WHERE it comes from really- as long as it's there- and nothing in her work is standing out as that type of progress.

so there shouldn't be a size gain.

You cannot gain size if you are not eating for AND progressively loading. it's physically impossible. you can be fit- healthy- active and all that jazz- super busy- super strong- and never bulk a day in your life- you'll have fab muscles- but they didn't get much bigger. That's all.

STRENGTH is NOT the same thing as SIZE GROWTH. (I'm saying fore emphasis- not yelling) :smile:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    According to the author of New Rules of Lifting for Women, women can gain up to around 2.5 pounds of muscle in a month. I find it very discouraging when people assume that women can't put on muscle.:frown:

I'm actually just reading this book now, and I could swear the author actually says that women should expect only about a 0.5 pounds of muscle gain per month--typically accompanied by an equal amount of fat. i know this stood out to me as I read it because I kind of want to gain a bit of weight (possibly both fat and muscle), and was really surprised that if I do it smartly, I would only gain like 12 pounds in a year. Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but that's how I read the author's point.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'm actually just reading this book now, and I could swear the author actually says that women should expect only about a 0.5 pounds of muscle gain per month--typically accompanied by an equal amount of fat. i know this stood out to me as I read it because I kind of want to gain a bit of weight (possibly both fat and muscle), and was really surprised that if I do it smartly, I would only gain like 12 pounds in a year. Maybe I don't remember it correctly, but that's how I read the author's point.

On average. 12lb is a good estimate, if you are doing things right, for the first year of lifting. It declines after that.

We can gain about 1/2 of what men can:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html