So I hate the gym..

Options
2»

Replies

• Lisafromtheburgh
    Options
    I had a love hate relationship with my gym. The aerobics classes were 50 minutes of cardio and the instructors would try to cram in weights the last ten minutes. I quit classes and made an appointment with the trainer and he spent more time BSing with his buddies than me. Plus it was small and crowded all the time. Last year I quit my gym bought a spinning bike and would do weights/spinning and started looking around for a new gym. I lost 47 pounds doing it myself at home. I found a new gym that's $10 more per month but it's bigger better and the staff is friendlier.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight without ever going to the gym. I did mostly Jillian Michaels DVDs or Fitness Blender videos combined with running outside. I actually go to the gym now because I enjoy swimming laps and going to group exercise classes and I can't really do that stuff at home. :) But yeah, there's no reason to drag yourself to the gym if you hate it. Those select tech weights are awesome, btw. Sadly nobody wanted to buy them for me this past Christmas! boo
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Trying going at a completely different time.

I HATE the gym between 430-:730- I refuse to work out at those times- it's insufferable. I'm miserable.

But after 730? it's great- it's quiet- there are only the 'regulars' there. I'm all about it.

But working out doesn't have to be miserable- some things you do because you have to- but the over all feeling shouldn't be awful miserable.

There are so many ways to work out- that it's just silly to force yourself to do something you hate.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Yeah when it gets crowded my workout can last twice as long waiting for equipment to become available.

A 24 hour gym might be the solution to avoid crowds. Go on off days early or late.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Well there's always Planet Fitness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buC-kqFGTbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqCaxMU2P98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVa9kA5qg3s

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Greytfish
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you hate the gym, but rather that you don't feel good about your body and being in front of the people there. There's not reason you need a gym (or that particular gym - and the suggestion for a crossfit or martial arts gym is an excellent one if you'd like a more welcoming environment with a community feel), but you should let go of the negative feelings. Don't go if it doesn't interest you, but don't not go because you're ashamed. Everyone's on a journey, and everyone's journey is their own.
  • FloridaMichael
    Options
    greyfish pretty much nailed what i was going to say.
    It sounds a lot like you have some self appearance issues going on over there.
    The moment you can let go of caring what everyone else looks like, or what everyone else is doing in the gym (unless you are trying to learn some new routines), the faster the track to you being able to enjoy the gym once again.

Just remember, ur gym time is about u, not anyone else.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the gym. I kinda miss it. When my husband and I moved last fall we cancelled our gym memberships. We decided instead of finding a gym near our new home we would invest in equipment. We plan to start a family soon and want the convenience of being able to work out at home. I miss spinning classes and he misses swimming. But I am definitely working out more frequently now that I have a bit of a gym in my basement.

Edited because typing on a phone is hard
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    The gym is just a building.

You could getting unbelievably strong in your own back yard with no equipment or minimal equipment or homemade equipment or a full rack/bar/bench combo. Or you could go to a gym and use their equipment. Whatever. It's of no consequence in the long run.

Here's what you do:

First you need to ask what your goals are. Then you need an honest look at where you are now. Then you need to intelligently work your way from where you are now to where you want to be using the tools that are effective for the task and the techniques suitable for those tools.

Gyms are relevant/irrelevant to what I have said above. In other words: there is no spoon...
  • getshredded2012
    getshredded2012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can't relate at all. Recently joined an LA Fitness that is much larger and more crowded than my other smaller Anytime Fitness and I couldn't be happier. Having more people around who are also busting their *kitten* is motivating as hell, and it's awesome that it's full of people hitting the free weights and machines and not just cardio. I find myself pushing myself harder at the new gym, plus it helps that all the equipment is brand new. I show up, throw on my headphones to blast some tunes, and get busy. I look forward to going every day.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and do my thing. Don't really care what other people do or not do, or even what they wear in the gym.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Find a new gym. Mine is not like that at all. I go for the free weights and other non cardio equipment and the free cross fit classes they offer. No cardio indoors for me unless it is the elliptical at home.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I hit my gym right when they open at 5AM. Usually see the same 15-20 people in there every day at that time and most are just on the cardio machines with just a few of us contending for the free weight section. A few weeks ago I had to do my workout after work and went around 6PM. Much more crowded with a lot of younger people in the weight area just chatting and texting on their phones, not really doing much but being in the way. Was very happy to go back at the usual time the next day.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Try a new gym, like the YMCA that seems a bit more family friendly, or go at completely off-peak times. First thing in the morning may be a good time since it's usually just people dedicated to getting in a good workout rather than finding a date.

I've learned a lot since I've signed up for small classes at the YMCA. Sometimes it helps to have other people push you a little farther than you would if you had just worked out on your own. Also, having someone teach proper form on various moves has had a huge impact for me.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't like the Gym either. Much rather work out at home 1st thing in the morning.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i hate the gym too!
    (when it's closed)

the men were likely "moaning" because they were lifting heavy and pushing themselves.
    the women were likely checking out their dumpers because the squats are working.
    the one person you have to worry about was too consumed with what other people were doing to get a decent work out.

Ryan-Gosling-Shrug.gif
  • I love lamp.......

Gym I mean gym.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I love the gym.

But I've lost all my weight working out at home.

Because I'm poor.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I can't stay out of the gym. I love it!
  • funandfitness22
    Options
    Luckily there are so many new options to the gym. I do a sword workout that gets a lot of stares but is pretty awesome...
    my friend was even used in a video game ad for them, haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZytqI15_zo