3 day military diet.

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What's the point of making yourself miserable to lose 10lbs of mostly water weight for the scale to read lighter on your birthday? Hope you don't plan on eating or having any drinks on your birthday!! There is no such thing as "jump starting" a diet. You just start eating less and moving more....there you go, diet "jump started".

you have never attached jumper cables to your stomach and jump started your metabolism? I do it every three months...is quite the "shock" to the system...
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    hi =) I did this diet. it helped me loads with weight loss and to be fare I would have kept it off if I continued by eating healthy rather than going back to takeaways! ive read this diet is mainly for that one event so 3 days out of your life? what have you got to lose? =) good luck x

What's the point, you're not losing fat. Why torture yourself just to lose a few pounds of water and waste weight?

And the Idea that this is anything like what we eat in the military is laughable. Maybe NVA Guerillas in the tunnels of South Vietnam in 1967 ate such low calories, but I assure you, a real military diet, especially in a training environment is five to ten times the calories.

Don't do it OP, you won't actually lose anything worth losing, water weight comes back as soon as you start eating again, even below maintenance. Eat at a moderate deficit, you'll lose some weight in three weeks, and more over a longer period, it'll be safe, sustainable, and more than that, you'll actually lose fat. Lift heavy and you'll do even better.

Rigger

Rigger
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

you have never attached jumper cables to your stomach and jump started your metabolism? I do it every three months...is quite the "shock" to the system...

Or....

12746974.jpg
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    10lbs in 3 weeks is insane. Even if you do get down you won't be able to keep it off. I'd say focus more on body composition than weight. Even then, that's a really small window.

Agreed. 2 pounds a week should be the limit from what I've read.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ashamed to say I did this once when I was younger and into all the quick fixes.

You will be extremely hungry, dizzy and miserable. I actually started waking up in the night with stomach pains. By the time your birthday comes around you will feel like total crap!

I'm also guilty of crash dieting for an event, which I think is ok so long as you're ok with it coming back on again (instantly)! I bought a teeny dress for my 21st and crash dieted to fit in it - it was fine, but you probably don't even need to lose 10 pounds if it's that you want to feel slim for your birthday. I know after dropping just a couple of pounds in the last month I feel much slimmer and better.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in 3 weeks is not much, you should be fine, as long as you go into it realizing some of that weight you lose will be water weight and most if not all will come back after the 3 weeks if you don't transition into a healthy diet.

Good luck and Happy early Birthday :-)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Or....

12746974.jpg

bahahahahahaha ...I like you already...
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Before quick judgments are made... Read up on the 17 day diet before you make assumptions. My aunt lost 80 pounds, my mother 40 pounds, my cousin 20 pounds, and I know many other people... And have kept it off for over a year now. They all look amazing.

There is a maintenance phase in the diet (Phase 4) that is for after you reach your goal weight. You basically follow your favourite phase (1, 2 or 3) during the week and then allow yourself to indulge a bit on the weekend. I wouldn't judge until you try it. And I'm not starving myself, I'm eating at least 1,300 cals a day. I'm full all day long and never feel hungry.
  • michellewelch2010
    Options
    I would suggest the 17 day diet! You can easily lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks and you are not starving yourself, it's all based on what you are eating. It's lots of lean protein and veggies (as much as you can eat really), couple low sugar fruits a day, couple servings of healthy fats and couple servings of probiotics. I'm currently doing it right now to lose my Christmas weight and I am down 4 pounds and 2 inches off my waist since Monday.

My typical routine (I switch it up on the weekends when I have a little more time to prep and be creative):

Drinks:
    1 tbsp coconut oil blended in with my coffee to make a latte with some vanilla, stevia and cinnamon
    Green tea throughout the day
    Lots of water

Breakfast:
    1 cup frozen berries and 3/4 low fat greek yogurt in my magic bullet.

Morning Snack:
    1 Apple

Lunch:
    Large salad with romaine lettuce, onions, mushrooms, red peppers and a chicken breast. Plain balsamic vinegar as a dressing.

Afternoon Snack:
    1/2 cucumber sliced with pepper & vinegar
    2 Hard boiled egg whites
    1 Hard boiled whole egg

Dinner:
    1/2 cup sauerkraut, mushrooms, red peppers and a chicken breast fried in 1 tbsp olive oil. I put in cayenne pepper, fennel and cumin. It's so good the better half tasted it the one day and wanted to trade me for his spaghetti.

I do insanity 6 times a week, but even a quick walk or some light exercise everyday will help.

I would suggest a long term plan that will last more than 17 days...

To lose ten pounds in three weeks means that you would have to have a 35,000 calorie deficit over 17 days, which equals a 1666.66 per day calorie deficit. So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have more than likely lost about four pounds of water weight due to depleting glycogen stores.

I think you should read up on the diet before you make assumptions... But even so, if I am losing water weight, I'm a woman, I can afford to lose some bloody water weight. 2 inches off my waist, and my jeans already feeling loser, what's not good about that?

And I'm not starving myself, definitely not running a 1700 calorie deficit, I'm eating 1300 cals a day, just a matter WHAT I'm eating.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I would suggest the 17 day diet! You can easily lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks and you are not starving yourself, it's all based on what you are eating. It's lots of lean protein and veggies (as much as you can eat really), couple low sugar fruits a day, couple servings of healthy fats and couple servings of probiotics. I'm currently doing it right now to lose my Christmas weight and I am down 4 pounds and 2 inches off my waist since Monday.

My typical routine (I switch it up on the weekends when I have a little more time to prep and be creative):

Drinks:
    1 tbsp coconut oil blended in with my coffee to make a latte with some vanilla, stevia and cinnamon
    Lots of water

Breakfast:

Morning Snack:
    1 Apple

Lunch:
    Large salad with romaine lettuce, onions, mushrooms, red peppers and a chicken breast. Plain balsamic vinegar as a dressing.

Afternoon Snack:
    2 Hard boiled egg whites
    1 Hard boiled whole egg

Dinner:
    1/2 cup sauerkraut, mushrooms, red peppers and a chicken breast fried in 1 tbsp olive oil. I put in cayenne pepper, fennel and cumin. It's so good the better half tasted it the one day and wanted to trade me for his spaghetti.

I do insanity 6 times a week, but even a quick walk or some light exercise everyday will help.

To lose ten pounds in three weeks means that you would have to have a 35,000 calorie deficit over 17 days, which equals a 1666.66 per day calorie deficit. So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have more than likely lost about four pounds of water weight due to depleting glycogen stores.

I think you should read up on the diet before you make assumptions... But even so, if I am losing water weight, I'm a woman, I can afford to lose some bloody water weight. 2 inches off my waist, and my jeans already feeling loser, what's not good about that?

And I'm not starving myself, definitely not running a 1700 calorie deficit, I'm eating 1300 cals a day, just a matter WHAT I'm eating.

I have read up on it and it is just a bunch of bunk pseudo science about limiting carbs and bla, bla, bla...oh and don't forget you have to buy the book.

You could accomplish the exact same thing by eating in a calorie deficit, using MFP for free, and not restricting foods and viewing them as bad....but hey, what do I know...
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What part of "no negativity" did everyone not understand? 3 days is not enough time to starve, get loose skin, slow down metabolism, or anything else. It just may be enough time to jump start some weight loss, which can be highly motivational when the loss inevitably slows down. I am on day 14 of the 17 day diet and am down 9 pounds so far. I did this for the sole purpose of seeing a decent loss quick, which will keep me motivated to stick with it when my losses slow down to a pound or so a week, which I am fully prepared for. My daughter did the military thing and did get a few pounds off, then settled into her normal calorie deficit to continue losing slowly and is doing fine.
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I tried this a while back. Besides being gross (I hate fish) and leaving me starving I gained all the weight back once I went back to eating again.
  • michellewelch2010
    Options

Drinks:
    Lots of water

Breakfast:

Morning Snack:
    1 Apple

Lunch:

Afternoon Snack:
    2 Hard boiled egg whites
    1 Hard boiled whole egg

Dinner:

I have read up on it and it is just a bunch of bunk pseudo science about limiting carbs and bla, bla, bla...oh and don't forget you have to buy the book.

You could accomplish the exact same thing by eating in a calorie deficit, using MFP for free, and not restricting foods and viewing them as bad....but hey, what do I know...

Bunk pseudo science crap? Sorry, are you a doctor? You do understand that protein metabolizes differently in your body than say an apple right? Just as a big mac will metabolize differently than a salad... And that everyone's bodies are different?

Some people aren't so lucky as to be able to just run a calorie deficit, work out and lose weight. I've previously trained for a marathon, went to the gym and did strength training to supplement my running 3 times a week, and ran a healthy calorie deficit with the goal to lose 0.5 to 1.0 pound a week. 3 months later I was the same weight... Explain that one? Some of us are different than others. My husband for example has a very weird metabolism... can't gain weight if he tried, he's 150 pounds and 6'3"?! Eats whatever he wants, as much as he can, yet the highest he can get to is like 155. People's bodies are different.

I agree that it's a long term commitment... After your birthday bash you should make sure you stick with a healthy eating plan so those 10 pounds don't creep up on you. (Like the ones I accumulated over xmas :( ...)
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it....?
    10lbs in 3 weeks seems a little much, if you ask me.

^^^^^This.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options

Drinks:
    Lots of water

Breakfast:

Morning Snack:
    1 Apple

Lunch:

Afternoon Snack:
    2 Hard boiled egg whites
    1 Hard boiled whole egg

Dinner:

Bunk pseudo science crap? Sorry, are you a doctor? You do understand that protein metabolizes differently in your body than say an apple right? Just as a big mac will metabolize differently than a salad... And that everyone's bodies are different?

Some people aren't so lucky as to be able to just run a calorie deficit, work out and lose weight. I've previously trained for a marathon, went to the gym and did strength training to supplement my running 3 times a week, and ran a healthy calorie deficit with the goal to lose 0.5 to 1.0 pound a week. 3 months later I was the same weight... Explain that one? Some of us are different than others. My husband for example has a very weird metabolism... can't gain weight if he tried, he's 150 pounds and 6'3"?! Eats whatever he wants, as much as he can, yet the highest he can get to is like 155. People's bodies are different.

I agree that it's a long term commitment... After your birthday bash you should make sure you stick with a healthy eating plan so those 10 pounds don't creep up on you. (Like the ones I accumulated over xmas :( ...)

I get what you're saying but it still just comes down to being in a caloric deficit or caloric surplus. Your husband wasn't doesn't something right.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    What part of "no negativity" did everyone not understand? 3 days is not enough time to starve, get loose skin, slow down metabolism, or anything else. It just may be enough time to jump start some weight loss, which can be highly motivational when the loss inevitably slows down. I am on day 14 of the 17 day diet and am down 9 pounds so far. I did this for the sole purpose of seeing a decent loss quick, which will keep me motivated to stick with it when my losses slow down to a pound or so a week, which I am fully prepared for. My daughter did the military thing and did get a few pounds off, then settled into her normal calorie deficit to continue losing slowly and is doing fine.

Why do people take good info as negativity? If you don't want people's opinions don't post. Most of us have been there and have gotten past all the crap and are just trying to help.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Drinks:
    Lots of water

Breakfast:

Morning Snack:
    1 Apple

Lunch:

Afternoon Snack:
    2 Hard boiled egg whites
    1 Hard boiled whole egg

Dinner:

Why, are you a doctor?

Yes, your body breaks down protein differently I get that...but the difference is so minimal that the overall impact is negligible.

Possible reasons you did not lose weight:
    1. water retention from strength training and lifting..
    2. You were not really in a calorie deficit due to not logging/weighing/measuring everything
    3. Overestimated calorie burns
    4. You are the one special snowflake that defies the laws of thermodynamics and basic math...

Our bodies may be different, but at the end of the day it comes down to calories in vs calories out....Eat more then maintenance = gain; Eat less than maintenance = lose
  • susbug1969
    Options
    I don't understand why people are saying it's not nutritious -- green beans, broccoli, bananas, apple, grapefruit -- since when are they not healthy???????
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    No negativity but my mother--in-law used to use the cleveland clinic diet, some BS about certain foods over 3 days you can lose 10 lbs. it did work but 3 days later it was back, so I am assuming water weight. At her most desperate she did the diet for 3 days on 2 off for a year, she look sickly skinny at the end of the year and the next all the weight plus more was back, then came diabetes and blood pressure issues. Only when she changed her life style did her weight change for good and the health issues vanished.

Now if you are already fit and you have a big event coming up, personally I see no issue on trying to reduce water weight before hand so you look your best, just understand it will come right back.

Also a side note, these diets can lack the nutrients your body needs, if they put you in a deficient (which is how you lose weight) it is only by food choice, an example is if you eat burgers and pizza the calories are just calories but if you eat broccoli a huge portion is only the calories of a few bites of that burger pizza . The concept is still just calorie in vs out but the dieter feels like they ate a lot more food because in volume they did. It really is just an optical illusion. Plus most of those diets limits sodium so much of your lose is really just water weight.
  • AdamFeder
    Options
    Don't know why people are saying that's an insane amount of weight to lose in 3 weeks.
    I've lost more than that in 3 weeks. For me personally, I would eat a bagel for breakfast before
    work, a snack at lunch (usually one of those cracker/cheese packs) LOTS of water throughout the day
    and a decent dinner. In about a month I went from 190lbs to 176. My work was outdoor lawn care which was
    pretty demanding but it all worked.
This discussion has been closed.