New Member Curious About MFP Sugar Goal Rational

Options
Hello everyone, I'm a new member!

I have been tracking my sugar mentally for months now, keeping my daily added sugar intake below 24 grams. My question is, why is the MFP sugar goal so HIGH? Mine is a whopping 70 g! That's crazy! Especially after NPR just came out with an article suggesting consuming a daily quantity of 22 teaspoons (which is 88 g) a day can increase heart disease risk. I see some people think it's too low, but I'm wondering why it isn't just 24 g for women. Is it accounting for activity level? Naturally occurring sugars (in fruits and veggies)? I'm going to ignore this and keep up with my original aims, but I'm just looking for a reasonable explanation. Thanks

-CM

Replies

• katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    BUMP because I want to see the replies!
  • emilyc1892
    emilyc1892 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's all sugar not just added sugar
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The MFP sugar count includes both added and naturally occurring sugars.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    MFP counts ALL sugar. Not just added sugars.

Most recommendations are based on ADDED sugars.
  • kittygreens
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm replying late because I gave up on MFP the day I started it, but I'm giving it another shot, so here I am again.

The general response to this post makes sense to me! I knew most recommendations (in particular, the American Heart Assoc.) were based on added sugars, but just wanted to make sure that MFP wasn't suggesting more that 24 g of ADDED sugar a day was acceptable, because that would be UN-acceptable.

I appreciate the clarification!