Frustrating Stall Right at the Start

Options
I have been at this since Jan 6th. By this I mean, I strength train (50 min) twice a week with a personal trainer. I do cardio (40-60 mins) 4x a week. I wear a heart rate monitor (chest strap). I weigh and measure my food. I log my eats and exercise in MFP AND I'VE LOST TWO pounds.

I am 290lbs so there is a lot to lose. I sleep 6-7 hours nightly and drink 96-100 0zs. I don't have thyroid issues and my glucose is a normal 84.

What next???? The scale won't move and I am really doing the best I can. :angry:

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Anytime you do strength training, your muscles retain a lot of water in order to repair themselves, this can easily mask weight loss on a scale. I'd highly recommend moving to measure yourself and not rely on the scale so heavily to determine success.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? Is it possible you have it set too high?
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    80% of your success will come from diet, the other from exercise. You may need to adjust your calories and tweak your nutrition. I found in my own journey that diet matters most! The calories and what type of calories can make a huge difference. The scale started to cooperate when I increased my protein, and nixed simple carbs in my diet.

Talk to your trainer to determine you calorie intake and nutrition goals. You will find what works and have success!
    Good Luck to you!
  • sapva
    sapva Posts: 3
    Options
    I am on the same boat. I also started on Jan.6th. I am always under my calorie goal. I do a 50 minute cardio routine 3-4 times a week and 30 mins of strength training 3 times a week...I have lost ZERO. This is SO frustrating! I am 5.2" and 120lbs. I had lost a few ounces, and they're back. I am 120 pounds, and my goal is 115. What am I doing wrong???
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You've made a great start so keep it up and don't get disheartened.

Maybe if you open up your diary we can offer some suggestions there. Also tell us more about your calorie goals. You may be eating too much/not enough. Are you being guided by MFP?
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Without an open diary, it is really hard to tell. Strength training can cause water retention in the muscles. THIS GOES AWAY! It can take some time though. Don't be discouraged! Calculate your TDEE and eat 20% less than that. Make sure you are eating at LEAST your BMR. Need to fuel them workouts yo! Just keep pushing on my friend. We all fall...we all stumble...we all struggle. Those that push through all that...they get to enjoy the rewards the rest...they just get to sit back and watch us!
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Check your caloric intake.

Get more sleep. Sleep is when your body builds and repairs.
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    Eating too few calories can stall weight loss. It seems your doing everything right. Try measuring your waistline, hips legs and arms and using that to monitor your weight loss. You may see yourself decreasing in size even though the scale isn't moving.
  • karnes71
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself each day, but it's too tempting. I want results overnight!!! I just have to keep thinking that I didn't gain it overnight, thus it won't come off that way either. Good luck, but most importantly.... Keep working out and eating smart.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    80% of your success will come from diet, the other from exercise. You may need to adjust your calories and tweak your nutrition. I found in my own journey that diet matters most! The calories and what type of calories can make a huge difference. The scale started to cooperate when I increased my protein, and nixed simple carbs in my diet.

Talk to your trainer to determine you calorie intake and nutrition goals. You will find what works and have success!
    Good Luck to you!

I think this makes a lot of sense and I would ask your trainer to look at your diary. I know someone who’s trainer was a big help after he saw her daily diary.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you aren't double counting your exercise. If you are logging (and eating back) exercise calories make sure you didn't already use that exercise to determine your activity level (in which case MFP already counted those calories).
  • jodiannd
    Options
    wow!!! i must say you do seem like your doing alot you do cardio and strenght training i would think you should see some kind of improvement, hmm is your diary open can i take a peek.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If your diet is not on point then there's nothing in the world you can do exercise wise to lose weight. You can't outrun a bad diet.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You don't mention much about your diet. It would be most helpful if you made it available for us to see to give feedback.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Without an open diary, it is really hard to tell. Strength training can cause water retention in the muscles. THIS GOES AWAY! It can take some time though. Don't be discouraged! Calculate your TDEE and eat 20% less than that. Make sure you are eating at LEAST your BMR. Need to fuel them workouts yo! Just keep pushing on my friend. We all fall...we all stumble...we all struggle. Those that push through all that...they get to enjoy the rewards the rest...they just get to sit back and watch us!

^ this.
  • sapva
    Options
    I just opened up my diary. I have no idea what am I doing wrong. I am always under the calorie goal and I am being so good with my cardio and strength training :(
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I just opened up my diary. I have no idea what am I doing wrong. I am always under the calorie goal and I am being so good with my cardio and strength training :(

Sapva, you might want to start your own thread to get better advice. But at a glance, you should eat back more of your exercise calories. You're often 500-700 calories under MFP's target calories.
  • karlab305
    karlab305 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Don't get discouraged, it isn't easy and it can be very frustrating.

Doing strength training does cause your body to retain fluids to repair muscles. I had a similar experience and when I looked closer at what I was eating I realized I was eating way too much sodium.

Stay focused and the scale will move it has too!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Do you weigh/measure your food? You might be underestimating. Or it could be the opposite, you're not eating enough... A LOT of people do this because they're scared they won't lose weight.

Have you calculated your TDEE? Calculate your TDEE then eat 15-20% less, eat at least 50% of your exercise calories and make sure you properly measure your food.
  • sapva
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I am new at this and did not know I should start my own thread :) Shorry. Thanks also for taking a look at my diary. Good luck everyone w/your goals!! :)