Nutribullet newbie - your favourite recipes?

Options
Hi there,

My Nutribullet just arrived. About to explore all kinds of goodies. Suggestions please?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    One Frozen Banana
    2 TBS of Peanut Butter
    1 Cup of Almond Milk
    Scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder
    2 Ice Cubes
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Delish! thanks.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My favorite green smoothie is: Baby spinach, lemon and strawberry's mixed with milk and vanilla protein powder.

I also make strawberry sorbet with just frozen strawberry's and a little bit of pomegranate juice (you could use water or another juice).

I also make pancake batter in it by using: One Banana, one egg, 1/2 tsp of baking powder, 1 tbs of protein powder, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
  • eso2012
    Options
    Does anyone know of a site that lists not just Nutribullet recipes, but also explain the vitamins, minerals, calories of ingredients in each?
    I'd like to learn more...
    thanks!
  • eso2012
    Options

I also make pancake batter in it by using: One Banana, one egg, 1/2 tsp of baking powder, 1 tbs of protein powder, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.

I did not know that! May want to keep that as a secret from kids as I have no intention making pancakes every morning ;)
  • YorriaRaine
    Options

I did not know that! May want to keep that as a secret from kids as I have no intention making pancakes every morning ;)

Well, it still very much taste like banana, but I love it. It is kinda like eating banana bread but pancake style for breakfeast.
  • eso2012
    Options
    Here's the Nutribullet site for recipes (also a community - membership fee).
    http://www.nutriliving.com/recipes
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have a tip! Freeze your fruit so your smoothie is really cold and slushy. If you use all room temp fruits, it's blah.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You can enter all the ingredients for your smoothies in the recipes section in your foods. I have one entered because I basically use the same ingredients all the time and when I change the fruit that I use I just change that part of the recipe. My basic smoothie recipe is:

fresh fruit - about 150 - 200 g (any berries that I might have or banana, peaches, mango, etc I normally don't use citrus)
    baby kale and spinach - about 100 g
    hemp hearts - 1 tblsp
    flax seed - 1 tblsp
    flax oil - 1 tsp
    1 cup coconut water
    vanilla protein powder - 35 g

other things you could use in your smoothies:
    soy milk
    almond milk
    coconut milk
    yogurt

I try to keep mine kind of on the lower calorie end as they are usually a snack or sometimes I have one for lunch
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I did was to use a permanent marker to mark the 8 oz fill line. Much easier than always measuring my light soy milk. :) I also pre-filled little snack bags with the berries so I don't have to measure that out each morning. I also pre-slice my bananas and freeze those. I either add the frozen banana or the berries.

1 sliced frozen banana
    -OR-
    1/4 c frozen blueberries
    1/4 c frozen raspberries
    1/4 c frozen strawberries (well, it's about 3)

1/2 oz baby spinach
    1 scoop Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle protein powder
    1/2 scoop Big Train Fit Frappe Mocha protein powder
    8 oz light soy milk
    1 tsp truvia
    enough water to hit the fill line
  • eso2012
    Options
    I have a tip! Freeze your fruit so your smoothie is really cold and slushy. If you use all room temp fruits, it's blah.

Great tip, thanks!! I was also thinking starting having frozen berries as staple in our freezer. They are as nutritious as fresh ones - and sounds like would be excellent for smoothies.
  • eso2012
    Options
    One of the first things I did was to use a permanent marker to mark the 8 oz fill line. Much easier than always measuring my light soy milk. :) I also pre-filled little snack bags with the berries so I don't have to measure that out each morning. I also pre-slice my bananas and freeze those. I either add the frozen banana or the berries.

1 sliced frozen banana
    -OR-
    1/4 c frozen blueberries
    1/4 c frozen raspberries
    1/4 c frozen strawberries (well, it's about 3)

1/2 oz baby spinach
    1 scoop Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle protein powder
    1/2 scoop Big Train Fit Frappe Mocha protein powder
    8 oz light soy milk
    1 tsp truvia
    enough water to hit the fill line

You are so organized!! I was thinking, dump everything in till it fills up ;)

Probably a silly question, as I literally just started reading up on juicing/nutribulleting....is protein powder really necessary? Or is it more for people who want to use the smoothie as a meal replacement?
  • eso2012
    Options
    You can enter all the ingredients for your smoothies in the recipes section in your foods. I have one entered because I basically use the same ingredients all the time and when I change the fruit that I use I just change that part of the recipe. My basic smoothie recipe is:

fresh fruit - about 150 - 200 g (any berries that I might have or banana, peaches, mango, etc I normally don't use citrus)
    baby kale and spinach - about 100 g
    hemp hearts - 1 tblsp
    flax seed - 1 tblsp
    flax oil - 1 tsp
    1 cup coconut water
    vanilla protein powder - 35 g

other things you could use in your smoothies:
    soy milk
    almond milk
    coconut milk
    yogurt

I try to keep mine kind of on the lower calorie end as they are usually a snack or sometimes I have one for lunch

Hi, yes, sorry was not clear. The calories part is easy. I was thinking more about what vitamins and minerals each combination would have....more for targeting (and monitoring) effects.

Now that I have read everyone's replies and read a few things, definitely get the "fruit, protein powder, veg, milk" general formula. Thanks for the tip re: soy/almond/coconut/yohurt. That would be an interesting base for me to experiment.
  • eso2012
    Options
    bump
  • YorriaRaine
    Options
    Probably a silly question, as I literally just started reading up on juicing/nutribulleting....is protein powder really necessary? Or is it more for people who want to use the smoothie as a meal replacement?

I don't use my green smoothie as a meal replacement, but I love using protein powder because I have a really hard time reaching my protein macro for the day. MFP uses 20% protein as a default, this should be considered a min, not a max.

That, and I find when I add a foul tasting green like kale (I'm sorry, but its gross), fruit tends to not be enough to get rid of the kale taste, protein powder makes it pleasant to drink again.

---

edit:

On a side note, if you use greek yogurt instead, that has enough protein in it that you would not need a protein powder. I just use my yogurt as a dessert item almost everyday so I don't bother including it in my smoothies.
  • Bloomboom
    Bloomboom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this info. I'm looking into buying one of these machines but haven't yet. Good recipes above.
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ive been exploring my Nutribullet for about a week now, and i ABSOLUTELY love it! :drinker:
    My favorite green drink - blend of Kale, Celery, Cucumber, Green Apple, Lemon & Ginger w H2o
    For breakfast i love filling it up w Watermelon cubes! The juice is delicious and its a great pick me up!
    I also blend a can of Goya Coconut Water w/Pulp & 1 Pear, its amazing!! The best advise i could give you
    is to explore with your ingredients :bigsmile: Ill be playing with beets and carrots tomorrow to keep
    it interesting!!! btw its helped me lose a lot of bloat!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My fav combo - spinach, frozen blueberries, 1/2 frozen banana, greek yogurt, small spoon of almond butter (if you don't have almond butter its also great with out - but i found peanut butter weird in this one so don't sub) Plus enough liquid I like about half orange juice half water - i wouldn't say that is SUPER low cal, but its nutritious and I find it pretty filling :)

my mom loves coconut water, protein powder, spinach, frozen mango, and a pinch of coconut if you have it on hand
  • eso2012
    Options
    btw its helped me lose a lot of bloat!

Ok, girl, you totally got me there - I am SO BATTLING with the mighty bloat!! So, in general, bloating is gone after a week? That's AMAZING....