Cant stop eating at night

Options
I've read all the posts related to this topic. I do sooooo well during the day, blah blah blah. I cannot stop stuffing my mouth at night....no matter how hard I try. Starts at 6pm and doesn't stop till 10pm................... do I have to go outside and tie myself to a tree. :( help.

Replies

• SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my dinner around 6:30, and then afterwards (if I feel peckish) I'll have a cup or two of hot tea. Usually some sleepy time tea. It really helps. I think the hot water confuses my stomach to thinking that it might be soup. :laugh: It was a little difficult to get into the habit, but now it's automatic. Maybe you should try it? IDK. Different things works for different people.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat anything past 7P.M. If I feel like I want a snack, I fix some Oolong tea or coffee, and I no longer want a snack.
  • melissabaillie2012
    Options
    I have the same problem...so what I do is I save 200 cals for after supper snack and the first craving I get for some food...I will first go have a nice hot bath and a tea...and then by the time I am done that I can look forward to a snack before bed...I know it is not good to have a bedtime snack they say, but for me, if I don't allow myself one I will just go buy a huge bag of chips and eat them all....200 calories vs 1200 cals ...hhhhhaaahaha
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I eat less through the day because I'm sooo busy so I eat those calories at night and works out fine , still losing weight and inches, plus I go to the gym at night and eat when I get home.
  • debbiesweety
    Options
    I've read all the posts related to this topic. I do sooooo well during the day, blah blah blah. I cannot stop stuffing my mouth at night....no matter how hard I try. Starts at 6pm and doesn't stop till 10pm................... do I have to go outside and tie myself to a tree. :( help.
    [/quote

I have the same problem. I have stocked up on pre portioned 100 calorie snacks, salty, sweet, baked, cold, also fruit. My eating starts later, but I'm awake late. If I'm out of calories I eat pickles and no sugar j-ello with 5 Cal sugar free whipped topping I call those free food.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Meal timing shouldn't make a difference in your weight loss- if you're hungry in the evenings then it is fine to eat then. Just like some people need to eat breakfast while others can skip it- it won't change your weight loss. The amount of calories you eat in total affects weight loss. If you are always hungry in the evenings, then save some calories for then. personally, I get really hungry between lunch and dinner, so I eat some afternoon snacks. I also tend to like to eat something sweet not long before bed- so I try to save a couple hundred calories for that too.

Choose whatever meal timing you like. Make sure that you have a realistic calorie goal (set your calories too low and you'll be hungry and more likely to overeat), divide up your meals in whatever ways keeps you satiated (be it 3 square meals, 3 meals and 2 snacks, or 5 small meals), and just focus on staying at your calorie goal for the day!
  • pishi44
    Options
    Thank you all. I will try the tea trick tonite and see how that works.
  • tbucks
    tbucks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I drink tea at night. It gets better too, also make sure you are eating enough earlier to make the nights easier. I sometimes have a small snack if I'm feeling hungry to prevent myself from overeating later in compensation for being so hungry. After a couple weeks, your body gets used to lower intake. I have been eating 900-1200 calories a day, and don't really feel hungry at all after 6 weeks of doing it. Tea is huge, just make sure its decaf, don't want all that caffeine before bed.
  • Jhasko84
    Jhasko84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ran into this problem last night.. I'd almost hit my calorie goal after dinner, and had about 50 calories left. I made myself some hot water and dropped a chicken bouillon low sodium cube in it.. tastes like chicken broth. Was very satisfying, and only 5 calories per 8 oz.
  • lwalrob
    lwalrob Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try a high quality multi vitamin. Sometimes, when you feel hungry, that's your body craving nutrients that are not sufficient in our food. A good multivitamin would give your body what it craves in the way of nutrients without making you want to eat. USANA Health Sciences makes an excellent quality vitamin. Let me know if you're interested.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2011/04/11/can-vitamins-help-you-lose-weight/

There are a lot of companies that sell vitamins, but they don't all have the quality. Check ratings before you buy.

To be clear, I'm not talking about diet pills or weight loss supplements.

Good luck.
  • lizbknown
    Options
    it's hard for me to. I hate getting up any time at night, first thing I do is look for something to eat while I play games online. i'm really trying also. ill keep trying. Soooooo hard. We can do it, Maybe we should set ourselves up by putting healthy snacks, like veggies and fruit to get when we binge like that. I'm gonna try. Good luck. :)
  • lizbknown
    Options
    Great idea :)
  • lizbknown
    Options
    Good idea also. I understand green tea is good. will try. thanks.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Don't make your deficit too big, it left me ravenous in the evenings.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    As lame as this sounds . . . I brush my teeth once I've eaten whatever I had planned for the evening. Usually the prospect of having to brush them again will deter me from eating anything else.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'm just like you!

What I realized is that I have to eat breakfast a lot later in the day, or skip lunch.

I have to stay between 1400-1700 calories, and if I eat breakfast around 11am OR lunch at 5PM, then I can eat a whole other meal or snacks between 8-11PM and not go over my calorie goal.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep earlier. Hard to eat while you are sleeping.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

When this happens to me I usually have a cup of tea. If that doesn't work, I brush my teeth. Sometimes nothing works and I snack.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh at the 'tie yourself to a tree' comment. :laugh:

I only have a problem in the evening if I have let myself get to hungry for dinner, or if my blood sugar is crashing because I didn't eat enough protein throughout the afternoon.
  • jazzyfeisty
    Options
    My friend lhunking (my sorority sister, also on MFP) said this to me when I asked her the same thing:
    "I would suggest adding more lean protein to dinner. And I honestly don't believe in not eating after 8. You just have to eat wisely. Studies show that eating protein as an evening snack can help you burn more calories while you sleep! I'm talking snack, like low fat string cheese, edamame, low fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt... a little something."

I'm going to start doing this. Currently I try really hard to have tea or even hot water with lemon to try not to eat. I cannot always do it. Seltzer is a great filler because of the carbonation and there's no calories. Also, not having high calorie snacks in the house is helpful.... I'm trying to slowly get rid of left over Christmas chocolates right now. Good Luck all!!!!!