So Embarassing

Options
I've been trying to eat "cleaner" but it seems everything I eat gives me gas. Broccoli, hummus, eggs.....I get really bad gas. I've tried "Beano", but it doesn't help. Do I need to see a doctor? It's SO embarassing.......

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Give you body time to adapt to eating more vegetables. It should go away.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    When I was addicted to oats - I used to get a lot of gas

I think its upping your fibre that does it

Are you drinking plenty of water?????????
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    yup changing my diet to a more healthy one has resulted in that issue :blushing:

and some days very frequent trips to the bathroom if I am eating a lot of "ruffage" :ohwell:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say 'Beano' my mom uses it because veggies give her bad gas. lol I don't know, other than letting them sneak out silently and just don't claim them.
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I have been trying to drink more water. I guess I'll just keep going - and see what happens. Thanks again.:smile:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you "blanch" your raw vegies, they will be easier to digest until your gut gets used to digesting them. Blanching is basically steaming your raw vegies for just a couple minutes. Maybe 3. Do this to things like brocolli, and then just pop them back in the fridge. You'll probably not be able to tell they were cooked once they cool off again.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It will get better over time, but a daily probiotic can also help.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Warm water with lemon every morning, acidophilus and evening primrose oil. That does the trick for me!
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have to say that when you have a stomach ache from that.....gas x works! Hopefully the tummy will get used to more veggies and not be so unhappy!
  • dawnhart77
    dawnhart77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Probiotics work for me as well. I work in a cube at work, so I'm always nervous about it. In time, your body will adjust though. :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    hummus...... just reading that word out loud will give you enough gas to kill a small animal.
  • valeriepaluszynski
    Options
    To reduce embarrassing effects, add your veggie and higher fiber foods more gradually - increase servings per week instead of hitting all recommended amounts on day 1. Continue using Beano with the foods you find the worst offenders. It really does work and you can imagine how much worse things would be without it! Also, consider cooking your veggies a bit more. If you steam to crisp tender, steam until tender or soft. The loss of nutrients won't matter much if you are eating a variety of veggies in recommended servings. You could steam the cauliflower and baby carrots that you will dip in your hummus or dressing too. Your body will get used to your extra healthy diet in time and you can go back to raw and crispy. Some gaseous side effects are normal and your body will return to normal.