Chinese buffet - PLEASE HELP

Options
Goodmorning/afternoon/night everyone.

Tomorrow is my sister's 18th birthday, so we're eating dinner at a Chinese restaurant. I loooove Chinese food, always have. There's going to be a buffet of all kinds of dishes and I think that maybe this restaurant also has 'running sushi'.

It's just that last time I ate at a buffet I totally binged(and I'm not talking about the oops-i-shouldn't-have-had-that-extra-piece-of-sushi typical buffet binge, I'm talking eating around 20 pieces of sushi + different dishes with sauce and meat and rice ++++ cake and icecream when I wasn't even hungry anymore.)

Now I want tomorrow night to be a good night, and I want to enjoy myself. I'm not interested in staying away from the buffet and ordering something from the menu, I really want to do as everybody else does and eat from the buffet.

So you guys! Do you have any advice on how to tackle a buffet without overeating? What's your go-to method?

Replies

• JJHnIOWA
    Options
    1 plate rule
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I actually do a 2-plate rule but that's because there are sauces that I prefer remain separate. I still eat only one full plate's worth though. Then I take ice cream for desert. The cakes are never that good...often overly sweet. So the ice cream is more than perfect...:)
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Eat. Eat less afterwards for a few days. Add some exercise.
  • fatbitt
    Options
    Eat more sushi than the typical buffet stuff, it seems like you like sushi enough so just gorge on that and you really won't be eating all that much. Even the fried sushi are better than a scoop of delish general tso's chicken. Trust me man, I feel ya. I love chinese, but sushi is the way to go. Rice and seafood, and I hope a little spicy mayo. You'll be good! Try and count it the best you can, but an 8 piece roll can be suprisingly low calorie :)
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

THIS!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    mmmm buffets, i normally have like 5 plates.
    I call it "metabolism spike" lol
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...just eat and enjoy it! It can be your cheat meal for the week ;)

And more sushi is never a bad idea :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Don't eat as much before. Eat slower. Drink lots of water. Eat slower. If someone makes a comment then just tell them your stomach has been off that day. Eat slower.
  • FailVibe
    Options

lol well that works for some bahah
  • brunetteavoxgirl
    brunetteavoxgirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do the same.
  • mtmlt01
    Options
    Drink plenty of water before you go.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Eat what you enjoy! It's a celebration!

I try to stay away from the deep fried and sauce covered items. Eat more of the fish and veggies. Sushi ... yes! Like another post, I agree the desserts are just a waste of your calories. Only eat the things you really like.

And remember this meal will have a lot of sodium in it ... so stay away from the scale for a few days afterwards ... and drink water!
  • sleroux14
    Options
    1- Drink water
    2- Eat a bit before leaving for the buffet
    3- Drink water
    4- ONE plate rule at the buffet and go for the sashimi (sushi without the rice)
    5- Drink water
    6- Tell EVERYONE that you are watching your cals intake and eating less...
    7- Drink water
    8- Go to the bathroom (Hey you must get rid of that water...)
    9- Talk, enjoy, talk, enjoy, talk, enjoy !
    10- Have a fruit salad for desert, they're good and always present at buffets...
    11- Ok stop drinking water now !
  • JJHnIOWA
    Options
    Side note:

It was funny, my dad always preached the "1 plate rule"

Problem is, at a buffet, his 1 plate with food on it would be about 2 feet tall. :noway:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^ This

Enjoy the birthday party and eat what you will. Drink plenty of water. Go back to your deficit the next day.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Don't eat as much before. Eat slower. Drink lots of water. Eat slower. If someone makes a comment then just tell them your stomach has been off that day. Eat slower.

+1
  • wadevb1
    Options
    Not trying to be redundant, but I've found success eating a decent home tossed salad prior to meeting family or friends where temptation reigns.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    ONE PLATE RULE? WHAT?

Assuming its a one off then eat all you want and savour every mouthful!!! then get back on the wagon the next day! This is a lifestyle change, not a short term thing, don't spoil your fun.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    have fun, try to fill up on some of the healthier fare, and don't eat to the point where you feel like you're gonna hurl. Then just be really good the next few days to make up for any excess.
  • charlisobel
    charlisobel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If it's a one off then enjoy yourself BUT stop when you are full. Try eating slower than you normally would. Then be super healthy the next day and make sure you get some exercise in. Life is too short!