Chinese buffet - PLEASE HELP

Options

Replies

• GetStrongGetLeanInMD
    Options
    I have been in this situation due to work lunches. I usually start with a huge plate of steamed broccoli, drink a full glass of water, have a small bowl of egg drop soup and then usually im full and eat something later. If you get a second plate, stick to non-breaded chicken in brown sauces. Dont eat the white rice!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So you guys! Do you have any advice on how to tackle a buffet without overeating? What's your go-to method?

Common sense and restraint?
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Preplan? I figure about how much I want to eat the rest of the day first, depending on when you're going, then write out a general approximation of the food you plan on eating at the buffet. Adjust your day accordingly with less food in the remainder of the day, or more exercise to help cover the buffet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ONE PLATE RULE? WHAT?

Assuming its a one off then eat all you want and savour every mouthful!!! then get back on the wagon the next day! This is a lifestyle change, not a short term thing, don't spoil your fun.

This seems like dangerous advice for someone that admits to bingeing before. If eating only one plate of food = fun spoiled then perhaps one should re-examine their relationship with food.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Chinese buffets and we have a really good one ten minutes from my home. Here's what I do. I go for the sushi, usually one full plate. Then, I go to the hibachi section and load up a plate with veggies, no meat, just veggies and have a big plate of stir-fried veggies. The buffet also has a selection of steamed dumplings so I go for the shrimp ones but I'll put one regular pork one on, too. I finish up with a bowl of honeydew & cantaloupe. Also, I only drink unsweetened hot tea. That seems to do the trick for me. The hard part is not having two or three plates of sushi..
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I always start with round 1 = salad then ~~ round2 = loads of vegetables like the string beans,bok choy,broccoli ,~~ then I go for round 3= my meat and then I go Round 4 for the fresh fruit and if I have calories and room left in my belly i choose 1 dessert plus I always eat my fortune cookie .
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I used to eat until I was real full since I change the attitude to "I can eat whatever I want
    Focus on enjoy the food and the companies I'm with I don't eat as much at the buffet as I used too but I did change to

Take a bite of each dish. Don't eat much deep fried food.
    Avoid dessert bar or eat very little since this is empty calorie

BTW sushi is actually quite healthy and does not that much calorie.

Happy Birthday!
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I say EAT.. Just do it smarter. Choose what you like as apposed to eating with your eyes 1st. Drink lots of water, and just dont go crazy, enjoy the day- pick your favs without going overboard. realize when your satisfied. Just because it's a buffet doesnt mean you need to stuff your face with 5+ plates. Make a good meal or two and enjoy the day.
  • charlicee
    Options
    Look around first before making a choice. Use a children's or appetizer plate, and only eat one plateful. And eat sitting down facing away from the buffet lines.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    ONE PLATE RULE? WHAT?

Assuming its a one off then eat all you want and savour every mouthful!!! then get back on the wagon the next day! This is a lifestyle change, not a short term thing, don't spoil your fun.
    Right? Here is how i do it.
    1 I eat a salad first. some places you have to go back to the grill to get the good veggies.
    2 hot and sour soup
    3 Egg roll
    4 I dig all the veggies out of the spicy dishes.
    5 plate after plate of sushi
    6 hot and sour soup
    7 more sushi
    8 more hot and sour soup
    9 fortune cookie
    10 smile
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Eat. Eat less afterwards for a few days. Add some exercise.

^^ This

Enjoy the birthday party and eat what you will. Drink plenty of water. Go back to your deficit the next day.

Yes. Don't make that sweet and sour chicken feel bad since you didn't have room on your one plate.

It's one meal; enjoy it!
  • shantizzlerose
    shantizzlerose Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to a chinese buffet, I logged what I was going to eat the night before. And to my surprise, I didn't even eat as much as I had planned. Also, get water with your meal rather than a soda. It made me feel better about binging on chinese haha.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sushi!!! and stay away from the fried stuff. get steamed white rice instead of fried rice or just eat what you want but small portions.
  • fittoday14
    Options
    Goodmorning/afternoon/night everyone.

Tomorrow is my sister's 18th birthday, so we're eating dinner at a Chinese restaurant. I loooove Chinese food, always have. There's going to be a buffet of all kinds of dishes and I think that maybe this restaurant also has 'running sushi'.

It's just that last time I ate at a buffet I totally binged(and I'm not talking about the oops-i-shouldn't-have-had-that-extra-piece-of-sushi typical buffet binge, I'm talking eating around 20 pieces of sushi + different dishes with sauce and meat and rice ++++ cake and icecream when I wasn't even hungry anymore.)

Now I want tomorrow night to be a good night, and I want to enjoy myself. I'm not interested in staying away from the buffet and ordering something from the menu, I really want to do as everybody else does and eat from the buffet.

So you guys! Do you have any advice on how to tackle a buffet without overeating? What's your go-to method?

I don't care for Chinese food, but that's besides the point.

If I were you, I'd go for the food that has the least amount of sauce on it. Fried Rice is FINE, but stay away from the Noodles (the calories aren't worth it). Eat lots of vegetable and meat options (meat that isn't battered and fried).

Enjoy!
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and start with some soup. Egg drop or wonton. Then stay away from the sweet sauce entrees. Eat chicken or veggie based. Most places have a healthy plate like dteamed shrimp and veggies. Load on the salad and.... if you do have things you shouldn't make sure you drink up water .
  • fittoday14
    Options
    Sushi is NOT THAT healthy! It can be just as bad as any other unhealthy food (if its loaded with fried fish, cream cheese, etc.)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Side note:

It was funny, my dad always preached the "1 plate rule"

Problem is, at a buffet, his 1 plate with food on it would be about 2 feet tall. :noway:

This just made me think of John Belushi in 'Animal House'! :laugh: :drinker:

Favorite quote: "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

OP: if you're going to implement the 1-plate rule, please don't let it look like Belushi's! :wink:
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat, Chinese buffet's included, I allot 75% of my calories for the day to the "going out" part. I also give myself some wiggle room the week before (or week after if it was unexpected), and then those left over calories from those days go out to eat.

Exercise the day you go out, if you use the mfp default method, to give yourself even more calories.

Between all that, you should be just fine, if you go over, chances are you still would not go over maintenance calories for the day.
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options

This! Eat food. Like some others have said, this is a lifestyle change not just a diet. You will be faced with parties and holidays for the rest of your life and you should enjoy them. I had to learn that one day at the buffet does not kill all the work you've done. Just go back to your regimen the next day and you'll be fine!

I'm being taken out for sushi tomorrow night and when we go to this place it's a big deal. It's a 2 hour long enjoyable gourmet sushi dinner with several courses. I will love every second of it and every bite and the next day I'll be back at the gym eating my oatmeal and oranges :tongue:
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options

^^ This

Enjoy the birthday party and eat what you will. Drink plenty of water. Go back to your deficit the next day.

I agree with everyone else that has said to just eat and enjoy yourself. One day will not hurt you in the long run, but definitely drink water water water. Chinese is super high in sodium!

Enjoy!