How long do you maintain body weight while working out?

Options
Both me and my wife have started working out at the gym doing a combination of heavy lifting and interval cardio. Our main aim is to loose body fat which I guess we will be doing visibly as we don't have the means to measure it accurately, we have some scale things but they are very inaccurate. We initially lost a few kilos but it's stalled in the last few weeks/ dramatically slowed.

She is currently 103kg and I'm 120kg so we obviously have a lot to shift.

A few years ago we lost weight much quicker through diet alone thanks to this website but now we are lifting too. She is noticeably building muscle as she had no visible muscle at all. I'm guessing we are experiencing different body composition more muscle than before and less fat.

The thing is she looks really different, her love handles are smaller, she's lost it from her chin and said her coat fits better. I'm also experiencing changes to how clothes fit etc. what's concerning me is that the overall weight is not shifting. We don't want to loose muscle obviously but how long can we stay at the same weight. Both of us are on a calorie deficit so might not be building a deal of muscle but we are working out hard.

Replies

• Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh and we have just taken measurements to measure that way too but nothing to compare to as of yet.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi there, when you first start working out your body will hold a lot of water so that could be one thing the other thing is muscle is denser and heavier than fat. If clothes are fitting better then you will be losing fat but not a lot of muscle where as if you didn't lift etc you would lose faster because your muscle mass would drop also. Don't get disheartened. The weight will come off eventually and your bf% will be down a lot if you stick to it. There are 120kg people with low bf% I'm sure and look great. Aim for the look and feel rather than numbers. Good luck :)
  • FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Think of the old kids' joke: what weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers? They are both A POUND, they weigh the same. But the bricks are quite compact while the feathers are loose and fluffy and all over the place. That is the same way with muscle vs fat.

So, it DOES make sense that with some strength training in the mix, you are toning but the scale is barely moving. FOR NOW. This is also one reason we plateau along the way to our goal. At certain points, the body works on muscle development again, and the scale slows down or just doesn't move at all.

The fact that the body is trimming, clothes fit better, that is a great sign! Congrats, you are both working hard and doing the right things! The scale will catch up, as the body drops the fat.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys.

I know I shouldn't but I got on the scales again this morning. Pice only lost 0.3kg. Then I did my coat up and thought wow, it fits well again...