Not progessing fast enough!

Options
I have been lifting now for about 7 months. I definately have progressed from where I was at the beginning but I am worried I am still not doing as well as I should be.

I started on stupidly small weights, 1.1kg and now 7 months on I am only up to 4.5kg. This is as much as I can handle for most lifts and get anywhere from 3 up to 7 reps with them depending on what lift I am doing. I usually do a 30 minute full body workout 3 times a week with these.

Shouldnt my strength have improved a lot more in this time span? Do I just have stupidly low amount of LBM?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What program are you doing? Some are designed for faster progression than others. I'd recommend Strong Lifts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What program are you doing? Some are designed for faster progression than others. I'd recommend Strong Lifts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Im not following a specific program but my workouts do include 2 types of squat, stiff legged deadlifts and lunges. To be honest I dont know what the other lifts are called but I got most of them from the NROLFW book, and some from jillian michaels workouts.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend following a specific programme like NROLFW or Stronglifts. This should give you progression and a plan so that you can maximise your time
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I feel like maybe I'm reading your post wrong.... In 7 months, you've gone from being able to lift 1.1kg (2.4 pounds) to 4.5kg (9.9 pounds), and you can only do 3-7 reps for each exercise? Is this right?
  • BluesGuitar
    Options
    Yes, it should have improved more than that in 7 months.

Working off of a set program is a good idea, yes, but engaging in a program without properly knowing how to do the lifts is not.

Work out with someone that can help guide you, as well as give you some motivation.

Sounds like you need some very basic guidance to get you on the right track.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    What kind of diet do you have? I mean: enough protein and how big a deficit?

Something does sound off, imho. Do you do any cardio or anything before you lift?

Is there a certain body part that gets shaky or weak feeling before the others? Like on the squats, what feels too tired to go on (first)?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I feel like maybe I'm reading your post wrong.... In 7 months, you've gone from being able to lift 1.1kg (2.4 pounds) to 4.5kg (9.9 pounds), and you can only do 3-7 reps for each exercise? Is this right?

Glad I'm not the only one reading it this way. Thought I had finally lost it or something.
  • lemur_lady
    Options

Yes that's correct. The 4.5 feel really heavy and near the end of the reps I am straining to do the last one.

So I really am just stupidly weak then :/
  • lemur_lady
    Options
    What kind of diet do you have? I mean: enough protein and how big a deficit?

Something does sound off, imho. Do you do any cardio or anything before you lift?

Is there a certain body part that gets shaky or weak feeling before the others? Like on the squats, what feels too tired to go on (first)?

My deficit is set to 0.6lb a week. I did have it set at 1lb a week but the weight was coming off too fast, I assumed the 2 breastfeeds I still do a day were taking off those extra cals so I increased it. I now eat around 2000 cals a day with between 80-110g of protein.

I only do 5-10 mins of cardio before a workout to warm up. My arms seem to be the shakiest part of me on certain lifts. I only use dumbbells.

What am I doing wrong?
  • lemur_lady
    Options
    Bump. Anyone know why I am not increasing my strength very fast or have any advice on how to increase it?
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I've been told you can't build significant muscle on a calorie deficit? Could this be part of the issue? Also heard great things about stronglifts 5 x5 as far as progress. Google that formula to find out how many grams of protein daily you need per kg of body weight to build muscle. It's out there somewhere. Best of luck.
  • BluesGuitar
    Options
    Bump. Anyone know why I am not increasing my strength very fast or have any advice on how to increase it?

You likely don't know how to train for your given goals.

Get instruction. Invest in yourself.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend following a specific programme like NROLFW or Stronglifts. This should give you progression and a plan so that you can maximise your time

This and I have no idea what your intake is like but if you're consuming too little protein or too little calories in general, your lifts will absolutely stall.

Make sure you have a proper intake with relation to your goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    breastfeeding?

you're dealing with an outside force at hand- and might need to be eating more than you are.

I suspect you also need to get on someone's actual program.
    7 months should have seen you go up to 10's at least... if you are at the upper echelon of your one rep max then you would be working hard to put on a few lbs in a few months- but we are talking at hundreds of pounds plus 2-4 pounds rather than a beginner lifter.

Beginner lifters typically can progress quickly so there might be something else going on- but really it sounds like you need to get on a specific program and some instruction.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, I'd guess you are selling yourself short, and that you are stronger than you think you are. How much do your children weigh? Groceries? If you can carry a kid for an hour, you can do more weight than you are doing. Look into Stronglifts. It will force you to do more weight. Don't stop when you feel "strain", push yourself to actual failure, until you really truly cannot do the rep you are trying to do.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

This and I have no idea what your intake is like but if you're consuming too little protein or too little calories in general, your lifts will absolutely stall.

Make sure you have a proper intake with relation to your goals.

Diet would be my guess too. To each their own but for me I get better results if I eat/drink some protein within an hour after working out.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get more helpful answers if you post your complete workout routine (what exercise, how many sets, how many reps per set, weight, how many days per week) as well as open up your diary. Diet, poor form, and f-around-itis (going and lifting without a real plan or goal in mind, not challenging yourself) could all be issues, but no one can say for sure and give good advice for how you can improve unless we know a bit more.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    So you can only deadlift less than 10 lb? Surely you can lift more, do you have kids? I assume they weigh more? A bag of groceries weighs more. I don't feel I lift heavy at all but I can squat 50 lb 16 times, I deadlift 50-60 lb, bicep curls 15-20 lb, etc and I'm not serious about lifting and I'm nearly 40.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get on a progressive lifting program. Eat sufficient calories.
    I've been told you can't build significant muscle on a calorie deficit? Could this be part of the issue?

No, you can build strength on a calorie deficit. Muscle size and muscle strength are not the same thing.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting now for about 7 months. I definately have progressed from where I was at the beginning but I am worried I am still not doing as well as I should be.

I started on stupidly small weights, 1.1kg and now 7 months on I am only up to 4.5kg. This is as much as I can handle for most lifts and get anywhere from 3 up to 7 reps with them depending on what lift I am doing. I usually do a 30 minute full body workout 3 times a week with these.

Shouldnt my strength have improved a lot more in this time span? Do I just have stupidly low amount of LBM?

Honestly, where you are now is below the strength of a complete beginner. You need to get on a serious program if you want to get stronger. With any of the compound moves, a typical female beginner should be able to handle a standard emtpy 20KG barbell. (With the exception of military press, and possibly bench, you might need to work up to the barbell over the course of a few weeks.)

If that's all too much, you may simply not be eating enough.