Protection from dogs

Options
What will protect us from a pack of dogs while out running? (friend attacked by 3 pit bulls on morning jog).

Stun Guns? Pepper Spray? Loud noise? What works?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    3 pit bulls?

357 magnum and at least 4-500 rounds of range practice until your grouping is real tight. With only 5 shots, you don't have a lot of margin for error.

Of course, you could go with something like a .45 or 10mm, but wheels are a little more reliable.

For a non-lethal solution on unknown-if-aggressive dogs, they make mace specifically for dogs.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'd be informing somebody in authority. Dogs (of any kind) shouldn't be allowed to roam free around the streets attacking people. I'm not having a go at pitbulls before anyone suggests it. For me jack russles are far more terrifying lol.

Bloody hate dogs, always have but it isn't their fault they behave why they do. The owners need putting on a lead sometimes...
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Authorities informed.

Not interested in a gun, would probably miss and shoot myself.

Dog mace? I will look for that.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Authorities informed.

Bicycle shops usually have it. They might call it 'Dog control spray.'
    Expect that the irresponsible loser dog owners will be REALLY MAD that you maced their furbaby. But that's better than some dog perforating your jogging shorts and degloving your leg.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    Options
    I love dogs. I've done rescue and shelter work. I've trained dogs. I grew up with a pack of pit bulls that were hunting dogs.

All that said, lethal force would not be excessive if actually attacked/bitten by a pack pits while on a run.
  • amygauv
    amygauv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Authorities informed.

Why don't you just run the other way? ... not near where the dogs roam?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Report to the police and run somewhere else
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh Gawd, I am a jogger and an owner of a 10pound white, fluffy, biter of joggers.

It is extremely humiliating when we are in the backyard and he dekes around the house, through the gate, and across the street to bite a jogger passing by. He's done it twice in 3 years, and I have no clue whatsoever what is going on in his brain that particular day(s). My deepest humblest apologies to the two he's tried to take a piece of and yes, I do mean it when I'm racing across our lawn yelling ""KICK HIM!!"". Or mace, if you are carrying it.

I actually have a pic of him in my profile settings - I think because he looks so harmless people don't realize he means business (little business, but business nonetheless). Not sure how I would handle a pitbull pack - I would more than likely report and run somewhere else.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but if someone was attacked and the authorities are not doing something about it, then I would say there are other circumstances that were involved. Dog attacks aren't taken lightly, and if the dogs weren't removed then something is weird there. As another posted run in another area away from the dogs.

Side note: Love how people always blame the dogs instead of the idiots who made them that way. Pit bulls if raised right are very sweet, kind dogs. Often called nanny dogs for their nurturing demeanor around children. It's humans who treat them horrible that turn them into attack dogs.

* Edited to add that I wasn't referring to anyone here about blaming the dogs. I know that wasn't your intent, was just making a comment in general.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Face the dog and confidently tell them to 'Go Home'. You would be surprised how well this works even if they are untrained dogs.
    Also, for some of the other advice I will say:
    NEVER turn your back to a dog, Never run from or a round a aggressive dog. This will just cause their instincts to chase and attack you. The Best thing to do, is stop, Face the dog, show it you aren't afraid of it; stand tall, dominant, and tell it to go home.

That being said, if there are dogs loose in town, the authorities should be notified if they are continually loose. Call your local Humane society, they will likely come out and pick them up. Especially if they have attacked others.

~ Been around Dogs all her life, Misbehaved dogs, strays and well trained pets.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with RUNNING away.

Dogs (all dogs) are predators. If you are bitten, you're in a bad situation. If you are bitten by two or three pits, even worse.

But DON'T RUN away. They are programmed to chase/catch/bring down. If you aren't prepared or aren't inclined to use physical or chemical force - stand up to them and be as confident as possible, face them, and use your physical size and confidence to "call them off."

Running from them will make it far, far worse.
  • fleetzz
    Options
    Friend knows what to do when confronted by a dog. The three pitbulls didn't know that they weren't supposed to attack and didn't respond appropriately.

I don't plan on running in same area. Just want to be prepared in the off chance this happens to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    What will protect us from a pack of dogs while out running? (friend attacked by 3 pit bulls on morning jog).

Beef Jerky. Just toss it and they leave you alone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fleetzz
    Options
    Sorry, dogs have a great sense of smell. It would only attract them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]]]
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why people can not keep their dogs secure. I adopted a husky - type breed from the local shelter. When we first got him, of course...it was new. I realized that he actually would climb over our fence to get out. So guess what? We added 2 feet of lattice. Then...he climbed over that! So guess what? We built a new fence 2 ft taller. He has not got out since. I dont want my dog hit by a car, and I dont want him attacking others (though he would not attack another human, perhaps another dog)

Irresponsibility at its finest.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why people can not keep their dogs secure.

In some places, dogs are running as pack animals because their owners have long since given them up and moved on. Detroit in particular has this problem with over 50,000 running wild. Of course, over seas there are certain countries that suffer the same problem, but that's because they are less "pets" (a western thing) and simply predators like wolves or foxes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Side note: Love how people always blame the dogs instead of the idiots who made them that way. Pit bulls if raised right are very sweet, kind dogs. Often called nanny dogs for their nurturing demeanor around children. It's humans who treat them horrible that turn them into attack dogs.

* Edited to add that I wasn't referring to anyone here about blaming the dogs. I know that wasn't your intent, was just making a comment in general.

Thank you for this. The dog fighting circles have given the bully breeds a bad name, and what's worse is that a lot of fight dogs aren't even bully breeds (nor are a lot of the dogs that actually attack people, most are mixes that only vaguely resemble an actual pit bull). I found a quote by one of the more well-known dog fighting "trainers," I wish I could find it again, but it said something along the lines of "any dog can be a mean dog if you train it to be that way. It doesn't matter what breed it is."
  • fortally
    Options

No. No, no, NO. That is asking for trouble. If the dog is loose and can get close enough to bite you, having treats in your pocket is only going to make the situation worse.

Stop and face the dog (as another person suggested). They might not know "go home," but odds are they will probably know "sit." Even a snarly, worked up pup that knows his basic commands is going to be caught off guard and will sit without thinking. Follow up with other commands such as "home," "down," and/or "stay." It won't always work, but taking charge and issuing commands turns the table on the dog. Most will back down.

**Even if it backs down or goes home, call Animal Control and report it. The next time it charges it might be towards a kid.*

I'm a serious dog lover. Was raised with and have raised several labs/lab mixes. I'm a strong believer that there really are no bad dogs. But there are a whole hell of a lot of STUPID people who own dogs. People who don't train, train wrong, abuse, or neglect dogs. Unfortunately those people raise problem dogs, and ultimately it is the dog who suffers.

Even if the dog goes home call animal control. If it growls or attacks call the police right then & there. (My local animal control's message even says if you are being attacked, chased, or bitten to call the police). Carry mace. Don't spray the owner even though they're the ones who deserve it. Call the police.

Never - NEVER - run.
  • cmoe25027
    cmoe25027 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    2 recommendations

1. Bear spray, can get in most god camping stores, bigger bottle and longer range spray than most self defense sprays, and in theory will cause a bear to find something else to do.

2. If you go with any spray deterrent, wear some form of eye cover, trust me on this one, but remember that even with glasses on you will still probably catch some if you have to use it.

Be safe

Cheers,
    Collin