The 'Fat Acceptance' Movement

Options

Replies

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between loving yourself and blatantly lying to people about the health risks involved with being overweight
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BMIs north of 35 with 40+ waist sizes have been linked to all sorts of chronic conditions (i.e. T2DM, arthritis, HTN, heart failure, CKD, hormone sensitive cancers, etc). Whoever tells you otherwise is simply not doing the research, and possibly doing a disservice to others by misinforming them.

Should we discriminate the morbidly obese? No, but we sure as hell shouldn't encourage it either. My mother has been smoker her entire life, and I love her to death, but that doesn't mean I should embrace her bad habits. Morbid obesity is basically the 21st century version of cigarette smoking, the only difference is we're losing the battle this time.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between loving yourself and blatantly lying to people about the health risks involved with being overweight

But is it really any of anyone else's business?
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Overweight people can be metabolically healthy though.

This isn't just a case of "blood panels" either. A very small percentage (~10%) of obese individuals, exhibit no health related risk factors (must be none..the presence of even one changes everything) and their mortality rates are not significantly different than healthy lean people.

I referenced this all earlier as well.
  • WheezyFbb
    Options

It is when the tax payers have to foot the bill for the increased incidence of disability and chronic conditions related to morbid obesity.

But then again, that's not much of an argument since the tax payer also has to foot the bill for death row inmates, and they've certainly made worse life choices than the morbidly obese.
  • gemgal29
    Options
    Like Religion, this topic can be just as controversial.

Being fat, I don't promote being unhealthy. This is why I'm here. I am trying to improve my health and overall life style.

I see a lot of people posting, "people shouldn't be judged by how they look, their weight" THEN they say "with that said or however"

There SHOULD NOT BE A "BUT" People should not be judged by their appearance. PERIOD.

In today's society, regardless of how we protest about judging people by appearance, people WILL ALWAYS be judged by their appearance. As if being fat is "innately wrong." There are groups out there that promote equality for gays, lesbians, black people, Muslims, physically disabled and the list goes on. And if people express their opinions that oppose these groups, they are called racists, homophobic and what ever other description you have. Being fat, we are targeted for hateful "jokes", "Oh we're just having fun, don't it so seriously, we're joking." Being fat, we're always the target for belittlement, ridicule, mockery, we are taunted, and bullied. And yet people turn a blind eye to that.

If anyone is interested.. read this article. It is written by a gay fat man. Basically he conveys that it's okay to be gay, black, orange, polka-doted,, as long as your not fat. It's a great read.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/it-gets-better-unless-youre-fat

I am aware of the movement "acceptance at any size".

People should be accepted for their abilities, their personal morals, and how they are as humans.

If you're an *kitten*, you're an *kitten*. And ANYONE can be an *kitten*, at ANY size.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

Overweight people can be metabolically healthy though.

This isn't just a case of "blood panels" either. A very small percentage (~10%) of obese individuals, exhibit no health related risk factors (must be none..the presence of even one changes everything) and their mortality rates are not significantly different than healthy lean people.

I referenced this all earlier as well.

You don't make a rule out of the exception. There are always outliers. And those 10% of people are still at increased risk for all of those health conditions.

I'm not trying to force people to be healthy or put anyone down. But saying that you can be healthy at any weight just because 1/10th of people can be healthy at that weight is ridiculous. There's people all over the internet spewing this BS and it's actually hindering people's progress because they think it's completely healthy to be 400lbs or that there is nothing they can do to change themselves because they are predisposed to being fat (literally seen dozens of websites that say this that are Fat Acceptance sites).

Edit: to the person above me, the reason people that oppose people of other races and such are called bigots and racists is because they are blaming people for things they can't control and that have no effect on them. Overweight people can effect their weight and they do put a strain on the medical system.
  • withabandon
    Options

It is when the tax payers have to foot the bill for the increased incidence of disability and chronic conditions related to morbid obesity.

But then again, that's not much of an argument since the tax payer also has to foot the bill for death row inmates, and they've certainly made worse life choices than the morbidly obese.

And smokers, and premature babies, and a whole slew of other people who sometimes by choice and sometimes by chance are a "burden" on the system. If you read back through the thread there is a lot of commentary about this argument.

It still doesn't mean anyone has the right to make unsolicited commentary on someone's worthiness or their body.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

And smokers, and premature babies, and a whole slew of other people who sometimes by choice and sometimes by chance are a "burden" on the system. If you read back through the thread there is a lot of commentary about this argument.

It still doesn't mean anyone has the right to make unsolicited commentary on someone's worthiness or their body.

I don't think anyone is arguing that overweight people should be shamed or put down. I think the whole argument here, at least that I've seen, is people saying that you can be healthy overweight which is a completely false statement. And I don't mean a few pounds overweight I mean legitimately overweight/obese.

Edit: and smokers get hate all the time, even more than overweight people.
  • Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    To me, the bottom line is this -- people are going to do what they want to do as far as weight, calories, and exercise go, and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it. Just like an alcoholic, a compulsive gambler, or anyone else who has a lifestyle problem, the person will keep on living that way until THEY decide to change.

Not you, not me, not their family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, doctor, congressman, or anyone else.

Them.

I don't have an issue with "fat acceptance" stuff. Then again, I don't have an issue with proana stuff, either. I don't even have an issue with people vomiting on themselves and then passing out in their own bushes for the third time this month, because they were too hammered to make it in the door. My life is mine, their life is theirs, and so long as they're not breaking the law, it's really none of my business.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The right thing to do is to treat everyone with respect as human beings. Being respectful does not have to mean you encourage a unhealthy lifestyle.
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    The right thing to do is to treat everyone with respect as human beings. Being respectful does not have to mean you encourage a unhealthy lifestyle.

The point I've been trying to make put into a few words lol repped
  • withabandon
    Options

I don't think anyone is arguing that overweight people should be shamed or put down. I think the whole argument here, at least that I've seen, is people saying that you can be healthy overweight which is a completely false statement. And I don't mean a few pounds overweight I mean legitimately overweight/obese.

I agree smokers get hate... but I don't agree that it is more than overweight people. Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I was once touched with the lit end of someone's cigarette as I just WALKED BY on the street while they uttered "hey biggie" under their breath. I don't see too many smokers getting assaulted. I do agree they get the short end of the stick when it comes to limitations on where they can and can't smoke but because what they are doing has the potential to affect the health of someone else, those sorts of limitations are understandable.

I guess many parts of the movement are open to interpretation. I follow a couple of FA bloggers that encourage mindfulness about your health without beating yourself up. One is a yoga instructor, one is a dancer. I interpret their voices as encouragement to get out there and move and engage in healthy behaviours at every size. And the idea that if you work out and eat well (within the parameters of your comfort and desire) and you don't lose weight hand over fist, that is okay, your body is still a good body. I've had people tell me I'm lying about what I eat/do (I walk on average at least 5K per day at 3.5-4mph with a 40lb backpack at least half the time) because I am still fat. BUT if the FA movement encourages someone to value themselves enough to pay a little attention and treat their bodies kinder, I think there is certainly value in that.
  • WheezyFbb
    Options
    To me, the bottom line is this -- people are going to do what they want to do as far as weight, calories, and exercise go, and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it. Just like an alcoholic, a compulsive gambler, or anyone else who has a lifestyle problem, the person will keep on living that way until THEY decide to change.

Not you, not me, not their family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, doctor, congressman, or anyone else.

Them.

I don't have an issue with "fat acceptance" stuff. Then again, I don't have an issue with proana stuff, either. I don't even have an issue with people vomiting on themselves and then passing out in their own bushes for the third time this month, because they were too hammered to make it in the door. My life is mine, their life is theirs, and so long as they're not breaking the law, it's really none of my business.

I agree with your general premise, except that these irresponsible behaviors end up costing society as a whole. Just imagine if every tax payer dollar used to treat conditions related to alcoholism, cigarette smoking and morbid obesity were devoted to R&D, education, charity or job creation instead? I guarantee you we would both live in a better world.

Morbid obesity is doing society a disservice. Whoever denies that is simply blind. It's not about hating fat people, it's about encouraging healthier lifestyles and taking responsibility not only for ourselves, but for our society as well.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

I agree smokers get hate... but I don't agree that it is more than overweight people. Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I was once touched with the lit end of someone's cigarette as I just WALKED BY on the street while they uttered "hey biggie" under their breath. I don't see too many smokers getting assaulted. I do agree they get the short end of the stick when it comes to limitations on where they can and can't smoke but because what they are doing has the potential to affect the health of someone else, those sorts of limitations are understandable.

I guess many parts of the movement are open to interpretation. I follow a couple of FA bloggers that encourage mindfulness about your health without beating yourself up. One is a yoga instructor, one is a dancer. I interpret their voices as encouragement to get out there and move and engage in healthy behaviours at every size. And the idea that if you work out and eat well (within the parameters of your comfort and desire) and you don't lose weight hand over fist, that is okay, your body is still a good body. I've had people tell me I'm lying about what I eat/do (I walk on average at least 5K per day at 3.5-4mph with a 40lb backpack at least half the time) because I am still fat. BUT if the FA movement encourages someone to value themselves enough to pay a little attention and treat their bodies kinder, I think there is certainly value in that.

And I would say those are the good people of fat acceptance with reasonable opinions, but there are tons of others that use studies about starvation to prove a point that a caloric deficit won't cause weight loss and that people should just accept that they are fat. I really hope that the dancer one you follow isn't Ragen Chastain because she is the one that wrote the article I was just talking about haha
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The word"shame" is way over used.
    Shame is when someone is purposefully putting down someone else and causing feelings of worthlessness ECT. This usually happens when someone has power over the person being shamed.
    Guilt I think is a more appropriate word. "Body Guilt". Guilt is something we feel when our short comings are noticed by ourselves and or other people. Guilt BC we have not taken care of our bodies and our selves to the best of our abilities. A Dr bringing up the fact that a patient is dangerously over weight and is at high risk for certain diseases is not shaming. Those feelings are guilt! Most over weight,fat, people know they are fat. They just dont usually talk about nor do they wish to and no one wants other people to pint out their short comings no matter what they may be.

Fat acceptance is never a good idea, just BC that encourages people to turn a blind eye to the truth. Living in the land of De-nial is never a good place to be. It hurts to face our short comings. To start in the road of self transformation is never easy. Transformation is usually a painful and violent process mentally, emotionally and physically. This journey is not for the weak, but you will never regret taking such a life changing journey.
  • withabandon
    Options

And I would say those are the good people of fat acceptance with reasonable opinions, but there are tons of others that use studies about starvation to prove a point that a caloric deficit won't cause weight loss and that people should just accept that they are fat. I really hope that the dancer one you follow isn't Ragen Chastain because she is the one that wrote the article I was just talking about haha

I will admit, I don't read EVERYTHING Ragen posts, but yes I follow her. There is a lot of other GOOD in her blog that I think is important to note. I don't agree with everything she has to say but I don't have to agree with everything everybody has to say to still think that they have good points. I don't believe it is of any value to believe everything that someone says without some consideration. I am of the mindset of I take from the things that are offered for me those things that will work for myself and then I discard the rest. I think that's common sense. I know that common sense isn't always that common, but one can only hope, right?
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    I'm not gonna try to tell you what to do, but I just took a look at her site to see if maybe it was just the one I read, but every single thing i've seen on there seems like extremist propaganda from a person who wants people to be just as miserable as her.

some of her latest posts:
    cf10b34c41a2695f07d36558278f4f28.png
    6b3e7146f2f4df8011f2694817d726df.png
    2af7360e5e816a4bc550a274112fba4a.png

She has a problem with a game show that calls attention to obesity and praises people for losing weight and even paying them thousands of dollars for doing so, a problem with someone showing that they are worried about their family being overweight, and claiming that the U.S. doesn't have an obesity problem because the healthy weight was lowered (even though it was most likely lowered due to more recent research)

Edit: also her claim that obesity rates are dying off is completely false. Scroll about halfway down the page to see the incline of obesity in America over the years. Also Mexico has now surpassed the U.S. as the most obese country in the world.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    lol repped ^