HOOPING CHALLENGE!

Options
One of friends just started a 30/30 challenge for hula hooping. Now, she is an amazing hoop dancer who will put us amateurs to shame, but I thought it might be a good way for those who are getting into hooping to make it a habit, and maybe even learn some new moves.

30/30 means thirty minutes a day for thirty days. I cannot do that right now, but I can hoop everyday for a few minutes, so I am modifying my goal: Mine personal challenge is 30to30 --> I hope to be able to hoop for thirty minutes by the end of the challenge.

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    One of friends just started a 30/30 challenge for hula hooping. Now, she is an amazing hoop dancer who will put us amateurs to shame, but I thought it might be a good way for those who are getting into hooping to make it a habit, and maybe even learn some new moves.

30/30 means thirty minutes a day for thirty days. I cannot do that right now, but I can hoop everyday for a few minutes, so I am modifying my goal: Mine personal challenge is 30to30 --> I hope to be able to hoop for thirty minutes by the end of the challenge.

Wish I could hoop. Bought one to learn, but its in my closet, gathering dust. Just thinking of what could be achieved, I really should make an effort.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Wish I could hoop. Bought one to learn, but its in my closet, gathering dust. Just thinking of what could be achieved, I really should make an effort.

It took me nearly two weeks of daily practice to be able to hoop continuously. But hey, picking the hoop up off the ground burns calories, too!

Come on, just a few minutes a day of trying!
  • socajam
    Options

It took me nearly two weeks of daily practice to be able to hoop continuously. But hey, picking the hoop up off the ground burns calories, too!

Come on, just a few minutes a day of trying!

Mine is a weighted hoop. Its like line dancing I would love to be able to do it, but the dvd is sitting on the floor beside my bed. Just think of the calories one could burn hooping whilst watching a 1 hour show on tv.

Now that is multitasking.
  • NoStressExpress
    NoStressExpress Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey Hoopers!!!!

I'm definitely down for this hooping challenge. Any hoopers/hoop dancers, please add me.
  • socajam
    Options
    Tomorrow is my fast day, but definitely on Saturday, I will spend at least 10 minutes a day and practice. I am going to start using my line dancing DVD as well.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm in - I have a 3 lb weighted hoop in Ravens colors :-) I can do about 15 min a day, this is after the beginning bruising has healed :-)
  • maddieftaylor
    maddieftaylor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love hooping! I have a weighted hoop so definitely going to do this. Does anyone know how many calories it burns?
  • MadDogManor
    Options
    Good question. When I log, I usually just use the Wii hooping entry
  • madnat2810
    Options
    Hi Guys I hope you dont mind me joining your challenge, I have a weighted hoop and this is just what I need to get started. Nat :-)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oooh, yes please! I got a weighted one for Christmas and I need to be more rigorous with using it.

For Socajam - I fast 2 days a week, but I haven't noticed this having any impact on my hooping ability.
  • melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I want to give this a try! I have a weighted hoop and DVD!
  • MadDogManor
    Options
    Just finished 15 min while watching the news lol. Whatever works haha
  • concordancia
    Options
    I am so glad we have so many participants!

I use the hula hooping entry in MFP for calories burned. I think it comes to about 400 per hour for my weight (220).
  • concordancia
    Options
    Here is an article about the intensity of hooping (notice they are using arms and legs, not just waist hooping). My favorite quote: "We were surprised: you think of hooping as a recreational activity that kids do." Huh, when was the last time you swung on the monkey bars?! Kids burn a hecka lot of calories on the playground!!

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20110210/hula-hoop-workouts-burn-calories
  • LindseyLinea
    LindseyLinea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I will do 30/30 but I down to start trying. I have a weighted hoop and I also have a dance hoop. I only really use my dance hoop now. But maybe the weighted hoop would be good for core. I don't know really. I usually hoop about 20 minutes a day. I have done 30 minutes but not every day.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!
  • concordancia
    Options
    I don't know if I will do 30/30 but I down to start trying. I have a weighted hoop and I also have a dance hoop. I only really use my dance hoop now. But maybe the weighted hoop would be good for core. I don't know really. I usually hoop about 20 minutes a day. I have done 30 minutes but not every day.

There are quite a few of us on here who are really only committing to hooping every day.
  • shantizzlerose
    shantizzlerose Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would do this but I already hoop over 30 minutes every day haha. Maybe I could do a waist hooping 30/30 challenge.
  • shantizzlerose
    shantizzlerose Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A little off topic, but are any hoopers on here going to Kinetic Fire in May?