The 'Fat Acceptance' Movement

Options

Replies

• Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    To me, the bottom line is this -- people are going to do what they want to do as far as weight, calories, and exercise go, and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it. Just like an alcoholic, a compulsive gambler, or anyone else who has a lifestyle problem, the person will keep on living that way until THEY decide to change.

Not you, not me, not their family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, doctor, congressman, or anyone else.

Them.

I don't have an issue with "fat acceptance" stuff. Then again, I don't have an issue with proana stuff, either. I don't even have an issue with people vomiting on themselves and then passing out in their own bushes for the third time this month, because they were too hammered to make it in the door. My life is mine, their life is theirs, and so long as they're not breaking the law, it's really none of my business.

I agree with your general premise, except that these irresponsible behaviors end up costing society as a whole. Just imagine if every tax payer dollar used to treat conditions related to alcoholism, cigarette smoking and morbid obesity were devoted to R&D, education, charity or job creation instead? I guarantee you we would both live in a better world.

Morbid obesity is doing society a disservice. Whoever denies that is simply blind. It's not about hating fat people, it's about encouraging healthier lifestyles and taking responsibility not only for ourselves, but for our society as well.

Unfortunately though, this really doesn't work. You can't FORCE a drunkard to stop drinking, a problem gambler to stop betting, a smoker to stop smoking, or a fat person to watch what they eat. Even if you tried, the minute you weren't looking, they'd be right back to their old ways. THEY have to want to change. Just you wanting it for them isn't enough.

And no, I refuse to hold myself responsible for someone else's choices, nor do I expect others to take responsibility for my choices. Ultimately, "tough love" is all about maintaining personal boundaries -- I own my choices, and they own theirs.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    lol repped ^

repped back
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options

This is kind of proof of the need for this movement. The fact that you would even post this.
  • withabandon
    Options
    I'm not gonna try to tell you what to do, but I just took a look at her site to see if maybe it was just the one I read, but every single thing i've seen on there seems like extremist propaganda from a person who wants people to be just as miserable as her.

some of her latest posts:
    cf10b34c41a2695f07d36558278f4f28.png
    6b3e7146f2f4df8011f2694817d726df.png
    2af7360e5e816a4bc550a274112fba4a.png

She has a problem with a game show that calls attention to obesity and praises people for losing weight and even paying them thousands of dollars for doing so, a problem with someone showing that they are worried about their family being overweight, and claiming that the U.S. doesn't have an obesity problem because the healthy weight was lowered (even though it was most likely lowered due to more recent research)

Edit: also her claim that obesity rates are dying off is completely false. Scroll about halfway down the page to see the incline of obesity in America over the years. Also Mexico has now surpassed the U.S. as the most obese country in the world.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

I think if you looked around this forum you would find some other people who have a problem with the BL. Sure, they call attention to obesity and praise people for losing weight -- but if you read ANY of the "after the show" exposee type talks from the contestants, they talk about some WILDLY unhealthy practices encouraged by the show behind the scenes. It's not a realistic show and I feel that it presents unhealthy and unattainable goals/methods to the general public who just need to learn how to feed themselves better and move in a way that doesn't make them VOMIT. During my 72lb weight loss, I never worked out to the point of vomiting. EVER. People with common sense in their heads have a problem with BL.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sigh. To the folks against the fat acceptance movement because they think that fatness is unacceptable:

STOP JUDGING PEOPLE for their appearance!!! It is not anyone's job to be acceptable.

Whether or not a person is fat, or skinny, or healthy, or unhealthy, has no effect on whether or not they are acceptable.

This is my humble opinion...
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Went to the food market the other day. Some people are so fat they take up the entire isle and spend 20 minutes leaning over trying to get their food. I don't care if someone is fat, but it has reached the point where people are so fat they are becoming a fire hazard. When you put 2 of them in the same isle it takes a high level of agility to wiggle and dart past them. I have no problem with people who are fat that honest to God want to lose the weight (even if they have tried and failed, at least they care), but people who just accept it are not high on my respect list.
  • TheKea
    TheKea Posts: 13
    Options
    Power to them, if they're happy - great. Their happiness doesn't hurt me so why would I have a problem with it? As with any way of thinking, there are extremists who will say that virtually ANYTHING is offensive; we've all seen the cries of "you're fat-shaming" in comments when a fit woman posts a selfie. But these zealots are not the norm. Mostly they're people who are comfortable in their skin (and fat) and are standing up and saying "it's not ok, to treat me poorly because you don't approve of my lifestyle", and they're right. I'm fat, but I don't like it, so I'm trying to change it - that's my choice, not anyone else's.

I'm a big fan of Meagan Kerr who is a fashion blogger in New Zealand, she's a big woman and is the head of the sarcastically titled "Fat Girls Shouldn't Wear Stripes" movement. Here's a quote from her that I love:

"Sadly, I've also learned that there are a lot of uninformed, small-minded people who have only negative things to say about fat people in general. I like to remind them that you can not tell the state of a person's health by looking at them, and someone's health is no one's business but their own. And if you find yourself disgusted and offended by fat people at the beach (or anywhere), you're the one with the problem."

It's worth mentioning that whenever someone comments on her blog or facebook page about 'horrible bony women' or 'disgusting bodybuilders' she's quick to tell them just how hypocritical that viewpoint is and no one should be treated badly for their appearance.
  • withabandon
    Options
    Went to the food market the other day. Some people are so fat they take up the entire isle and spend 20 minutes leaning over trying to get their food. I don't care if someone is fat, but it has reached the point where people are so fat they are becoming a fire hazard. When you put 2 of them in the same isle it takes a high level of agility to wiggle and dart past them. I have no problem with people who are fat that honest to God want to lose the weight (even if they have tried and failed, at least they care), but people who just accept it are not high on my respect list.

Coincidentally you are not high on MY respect list.

I love when people clear up how awful they are up front without me having to engage in too much interaction and find it out the hard way.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

Coincidentally you are not high on MY respect list.

I love when people clear up how awful they are up front without me having to engage in too much interaction and find it out the hard way.

I said I have no problem with people who made even a slight attempt at losing weight. How does that offend you? It's not like I've been a skinny person my whole life, I was a fat **** all through high school and into college. I am allowed to speak my mind on people who refuse to make even a slight attempt to improve their health.
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options

wow... that article was pretty bad.

i've said it before... and I will say it again.

To all ... im sorry i am fat, sorry i wear my struggles in plain view for the world to see. and I am sorry you feel the need to look at me and judge me.

ok logging off now.

I have to leave my pretty good paying job, go cook dinner in the new home we just bought, for my awesome husband that I just married. poor sap... he is so dumb he married a 'fat girl'. An independent, educated, no children, good credit having, very curvy latina that makes his toes crawl... fat girl.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna try to tell you what to do, but I just took a look at her site to see if maybe it was just the one I read, but every single thing i've seen on there seems like extremist propaganda from a person who wants people to be just as miserable as her.

She has a problem with a game show that calls attention to obesity and praises people for losing weight and even paying them thousands of dollars for doing so, a problem with someone showing that they are worried about their family being overweight, and claiming that the U.S. doesn't have an obesity problem because the healthy weight was lowered (even though it was most likely lowered due to more recent research)

Edit: also her claim that obesity rates are dying off is completely false. Scroll about halfway down the page to see the incline of obesity in America over the years. Also Mexico has now surpassed the U.S. as the most obese country in the world.

I think if you looked around this forum you would find some other people who have a problem with the BL. Sure, they call attention to obesity and praise people for losing weight -- but if you read ANY of the "after the show" exposee type talks from the contestants, they talk about some WILDLY unhealthy practices encouraged by the show behind the scenes. It's not a realistic show and I feel that it presents unhealthy and unattainable goals/methods to the general public who just need to learn how to feed themselves better and move in a way that doesn't make them VOMIT. During my 72lb weight loss, I never worked out to the point of vomiting. EVER. People with common sense in their heads have a problem with BL.

Honestly I've never watched the show, but from reading a few paragraphs of her post it didn't say anything about how it was bad because of the unhealthy practices. She was claiming it was bad because the point of the show is to change someone's body.

Edit: a side note, when people are morbidly obese doctors will often times put them on an extremely low calorie liquid diet to lose that weight. I think that alone shows how unhealthy obesity is, that basically destroying someone's metabolism is the healthier choice.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options
    Every person on this site has my respect no matter your shape or size because you all want to be the best you can be. It is the people that say, "Aww **** it, I don't care." that I can't stand.
  • stephaniegcoffey
    stephaniegcoffey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Most of what I have to say is similar to the comments of others, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

I am ambivalent about the fat acceptance movement, but I think it's due the the name more than anything else. I think, that as a society, we place way too much emphasis on peoples' appearances, I find it disturbing that most of the women who are held up as the standard for physical beauty are actually underweight. Meanwhile, women in Hollywood who are actually within the healthy weight range are called fat by many. While men are certainly judged on their appearance as well, I'd argue that it is generally more severe for woman. It's a shame that so many girls are bombarded with the message that their value is so dependent on their physical attractiveness, while intelligence is valued far less.

I whole heartedly agree with the FA movement's premise that we should stop focusing on a narrow ideal of physical beauty, and try instead to emphasize less superficial qualities. I also agree that overweight people face discrimination, and that many are quick to make harsh judgement's about people simply because they are overweight, assuming they are lazy, uncleanly, stupid, etc.

As stated by others, I view being severely overweight as akin to other addictions like smoking, alcoholism and drug addiction. All involve a certain amount of choice, and all can kill you if left unchecked. While some will be quick to say "you can be overweight and healthy," I find this a specious argument similar to saying "my uncle smoked for 50 years and never got lung cancer." Of course there are exceptions, but in general, being overweight is detrimental to ones health.

Anyone who has watched someone struggle with addiction knows that changing is not a simple matter of willpower. Shaming someone who has an addiction, or assuming that because someone is overweight they must be lazy, is ignorant and counter productive. Yet I do not think a doctor recommending that his or her patient lose weight equates to shaming, any more that it would if that doctor were to recommending giving up smoking, drinking or drugs. I think the issue that many have with the FA idea is the word "acceptance." Most people wouldn't support a movement called "smoking acceptance" or "binge drinking acceptance," and in my mind fat acceptance sounds much the same.

Ultimately, the focus should be on health, not appearance. Every person deserves to be valued regardless of their appearance, though I am not hopeful that we, as a society, will move past the fixation on the current ideal of physical beauty. No one should be made to feel ashamed because they struggle with obesity or another addiction, and when they are ready to change they should have the support of their doctor and those close to them.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the 10 pages of posts so, I am sorry if something like this has been said, but maybe it bears repeating: fat people need love too, especially self-love. You have to come from a place of self-love and self-respect to be successful at changing your lifestyle to a more healthful one, because it takes a lot of self-love to nurture your self-control in the face of unhealthy temptations. If you are too ashamed of your body to go to the gym, obviously that is a self-destructive mind frame, which has to be changed to self-acceptance. The gym walls are covered in mirrors, and you have to deal with that in a positive way for a long time, months or years, until you work your way back to fitness.
  • withabandon
    Options

Honestly I've never watched the show, but from reading a few paragraphs of her post it didn't say anything about how it was bad because of the unhealthy practices. She was claiming it was bad because the point of the show is to change someone's body.

She has definitely talked about it in other posts. I have read countless "tell alls" from people that talk about dehydration, very minimal calorie consumption, working out on injuries, trainers disputing/overriding what the doctors tell the contestants.

Kind of the point of this thread though is that if it is unhealthy or not, it's really not anyone's business.
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This discussion has been interesting, although it's gone quite off topic. What I really wanted to talk about, is the general public's reaction towards Fat Acceptance vs Pro Ana blogs.

Firstly, I agree that no-one should be discriminated against, or made to feel bad, for their body type.

However, some Fat Acceptance blog writers claim to have no intention of losing weight, viewing it as a lifestyle choice. Similarly, Pro Ana sites such as SkinnyGossip claim the same; that it's just "an aesthetic" they like.

At what point does society step in and say when a behaviour is unhealthy? I mean, in terms of internet service providers shutting down Pro Ana blogs. Or people tagging photos of emaciated teenage girls as 'content which promotes damaging behaviour' but not photos of morbidly obese women.

Should both be equally acceptable?
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I didn't start to lose weight and maintain it until I admitted to myself emotionally...for real..that I was fat. The next step was to look at that fat and love it, every roll, every stretch mark and every bump of cellulite. I had to appreciate my lumpy thighs, sagging breasts and double chin and honestly look at myself and tell my reflection she was beautiful as she was and that I loved and supported her.

Likewise, I had experiences where I had to show other people that I loved myself and had high self esteem to continue feeling awesome about myself.

Just because I'm into fat acceptance doesn't mean I don't want better for myself. Of course I want to be healthier, look better, be more accepted by society . Everyone wants that. Every single human on this earth wants those things...the trick to happiness and lasting change is believing you're already awesome before the change even happens.

Kudos to those fat acceptors, be kind and root them on in their journey for happiness and overall health. Lol, obesity is as much an emotional issue as it is anything else. Stop pretending it isn't...and stop hating.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Started looking through the photos.

This one is by far the best

tumblr_mqaxbmqd4k1symmvdo1_1280.jpg
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

You don't make a rule out of the exception. There are always outliers. And those 10% of people are still at increased risk for all of those health conditions.

I'm not trying to force people to be healthy or put anyone down. But saying that you can be healthy at any weight just because 1/10th of people can be healthy at that weight is ridiculous. There's people all over the internet spewing this BS and it's actually hindering people's progress because they think it's completely healthy to be 400lbs or that there is nothing they can do to change themselves because they are predisposed to being fat (literally seen dozens of websites that say this that are Fat Acceptance sites).

Edit: to the person above me, the reason people that oppose people of other races and such are called bigots and racists is because they are blaming people for things they can't control and that have no effect on them. Overweight people can effect their weight and they do put a strain on the medical system.

I am not making a rule. I am not saying you can be healthy at any weight. I am simply stating what the research and science I have read says.

And 10% (some studies claim 10-20%) is far from an outlier.

Again I am not even supporting the "fat acceptance" movement. I have also already admitted that "healthy at any weight is a misnomer - although I haven't pinpointed at what weight metabolically healthiness is an impossibility.

I was simply sharing some research that potentially shows just because someone is obese, it doesn't mean they are unhealthy. Yes it is rare and those people would have to prove/know that they didn't suffer from any (not even one) health related risk factor to claim healthiness.

But it seems to be possible. Look into the science actually, it is pretty interesting.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between loving yourself and blatantly lying to people about the health risks involved with being overweight

Overweight people can be metabolically healthy though.

This isn't just a case of "blood panels" either. A very small percentage (~10%) of obese individuals, exhibit no health related risk factors (must be none..the presence of even one changes everything) and their mortality rates are not significantly different than healthy lean people.

I referenced this all earlier as well.

You ignored an important part of that study: even metabolically healthy obese people are at increased risk (30% or so) for becoming metabolically unhealthy later in life over lean metabolically healthy people.