Vomited after training session with Personal Trainer?

Options
Hi everyone! First off, I'd like to say i'm brand new to the "fitness pal" community. Just to start, I haven't really ever been "fit". I've always been labeled **The fat Guy** and I just couldn't deal with it any longer, so here I am! Getting fit and ready for summer. I'm currently 250.6 pounds and a 33% body fat percentage, and my goal is to be around 190 pounds by the time I am completely done. So, to lead in to the question, I've just started my gym membership back up, I went for about 5 days and decided that going with a personal trainer would be the best thing for me so that I can stick with it and see results.

So....on with the question!

I went to the gym today (LA Fitness) to get my free fitness assessment with a Personal Trainer and ended up getting pretty sick. Most of my weight is in my midsection, and I have never done sports or anything to get me really physically active, and have pretty much been a fat computer gamer for the majority of my teenage life. So, when I stated this to him, he decided to assess me on my core and legs (We did arms and upper body the day before). I ended up doing planks, wall sits with a 6 lb medicine ball while he was pushing down on the ball itself, flutter kicks, squats and powering up throwing the medicine bowl at the wall, and many other things mainly with my own body weight and a medicine ball. I wasn't drinking water a lot, except for one big gulp in the middle of the workout. After the workout, I could barely move but I felt good, and determined to keep on, however after about a good 5-6 minutes I began to feel very sick and had to run outside only to go up to the wall and gag multiple times before throwing up a little bit. Did he work me way too hard? Or could it be not eating enough calories, low blood sugar (found that on webMD?) or just switching my diet? I use to eat like total **** with about 3000 calories a day and god knows how much fat grams. Now i'm trying to get my diet on and i'm eating around 1900 calories and monitoring everything else, (during this workout I only had a total of 500 calories from break feast and lunch). Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated! I just don't want to end up paying money to leave the gym feeling like I want to vomit every time. Thanks, - Ryan

Replies

• dudehitscar
    dudehitscar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You pushed it too hard. Just let him know and he will adjust. I've done it a couple times when I was new to the gym.
  • JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Right, you just pushed too hard.

Combine that with the fact that you just started exercising again + you only had 500 calories for breakfast and lunch total = your body is not having a good time.

I'd suggest easing into things a bit slower.

I work with a fitness company and for the clients we usually recommend just focusing on getting your eating right for the first month. Then start thinking more about exercise. It can be challenging to try to change EVERYTHING at once.

Keep at it!
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said. Most likely threw up because you have a low tolerance for lactic acid which builds up while you work out. More rest time between sets or a slower pace while running will prevent it.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You pushed it too hard. Just let him know and he will adjust. I've done it a couple times when I was new to the gym.

This. Also, eat a couple hours before you work out, with protein, fat and carbs. Might also want a light snack an hour before you workout. I like a 100 cal pack of almonds. As a young male, you probably need more than that, but maybe the guys on here could make a recommendation. Make sure you hydrate both before and during workout.

I have worked with a trainer for a couple of years, and it has been well worth it. Congratulations for deciding to take control of you health and life!
  • tr66
    tr66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    IMHO, its too much too soon. I have nothing against personal trainers, but it is their job to push people and someone like you who is just starting out from zero, its a very big leap. Drink lots of water each day. (not all at once but throughout the day)
    When I started my diet and exercise routine, I simply started tracking my food and water (on MFP of course) and my exercise consisted of walking, ellipticals, and cycle machines. I had no stamina when I first started, so just completing a mile was an accomplishment. Over time that mile became easier, and took less time, and the pounds start to burn off and the energy and stamina took off.
    Don't give up.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I used to get nauseous after extreme circuit training.. don't do it anymore and I feel fine. I mean sometimes I'll get a little bit of the shakes, but that's nothing a little rest won't fix.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't think LA Fitness has very good trainers. They employ people that can sell expensive training packages rather than people who really do a good job helping you achieve your goals. After all, if they got good results they wouldn't have to convince you to sign a long contract. I got a week free pass there last year and they offered me a free session along with it. I was about 5 months pregnant at the time, and the trainer kept suggesting things I couldn't do. He just didn't get it that you don't have the same sort of aerobic capacity during pregnancy - your blood is going to your uterus rather than your skeletal muscles and the growing uterus shifts stuff around making it harder to take in as much oxygen to your lungs. When I would stop a set to rest because my HR was at 140 (my OB tells patients to keep HR below that during pregnancy) he didn't seem to respect that limit. I'm glad that I am smart enough to take responsibility for my own health, because an idiot like that could easily hurt someone.
  • Ryan4698
    Options
    I'd like to say thanks for everyone that responded, I really wasn't expecting this much of a turn out for the responses! I think I MIGHT still go with the personal trainer, but tell him to keep it simple for the first month or so, so I can get all my eating down but still be burning the fat and keeping my motivation and confidence up with the help of the personal trainer. Although it may sound stupid to some to just have the P.T. around for confidence, motivation, and help with simple work-outs, I've always had problems staying with it, and never really knew how to work out properly, which is why I thought it would still be Ok to get a Personal trainer, go simple for the first month and gradually move up. I do think I pushed too hard, and i'll take all of your advice. I'll drink more water and eat an hour or so before and see if that helps, and definitely...once again, go at a much lower intensity then what I did today. Once again, I really appreciate it guys!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Being your first session with a trainer you'll probably find that the trainer has sized you up and will take it down a notch anyway.

Also, I prefer not to eat before a session but that's personal preference and depends on how it affects your performance as to whether you do or not.

I still occasionally get nauseous depending on the workout but it passes quicker than it did at the beginning.
  • Ryan4698
    Options
    The only problem I see with not having a personal trainer, is that I truly don't know how to workout properly. I want to maximize my experience, and knock off all the fat, while still building some type of muscle. I also know that having more muscle means having a better Metabolism, thus burning more fat, so it works for weight loss as well. I don't know how to do the "muscle confusion" tactics or anything like that. What I have been taught, is to do my upper body one day, and lower body the next, and alternate like that....but it turns out that I might of been informed with bad information that could lead to exhausted muscles and nothing coming out of it. Does anyone have any advice for a decent work out plan, or where I could start? I have been running on the treadmill, on the bikes and elipticalls, and I've also do some free weight training by myself, but It's all in random order with random reps and sets.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's not that unusual, it just sounds like you either got a tiny bit of exercise induced heat exhaustion or you ate something that didn't sit right during your workout. My advice? Definitely drink more water, don't eat within an hour or 2 of going to the gym, and don't eat things that could upset your stomach during exercise.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    The only problem I see with not having a personal trainer, is that I truly don't know how to workout properly. I want to maximize my experience, and knock off all the fat, while still building some type of muscle. I also know that having more muscle means having a better Metabolism, thus burning more fat, so it works for weight loss as well. I don't know how to do the "muscle confusion" tactics or anything like that. What I have been taught, is to do my upper body one day, and lower body the next, and alternate like that....but it turns out that I might of been informed with bad information that could lead to exhausted muscles and nothing coming out of it. Does anyone have any advice for a decent work out plan, or where I could start? I have been running on the treadmill, on the bikes and elipticalls, and I've also do some free weight training by myself, but It's all in random order with random reps and sets.

There's a group on here called "Eat, train, progress"....go to "groups", hit search and enter name. Lots of good advice from experienced people.
  • Ryan4698
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely have to check that out. Well, i'm guessing it was just too much, too quick, with a combination of multiple other things. I'll just have to think this one over and decide what I'm going to do. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Based on your description, I suspect your symptoms were provoked more by the duration of the session then the intensity, although the intensity was still probably a little too high.

There is always pressure on younger, less experienced trainers to try to impress the client by having them do a lot of different movements. They do this because they don't know any better, because they are trying to show how "special" they are in order to get your business, or a combination.

If you are just starting out and unfit, then you can bottom out even with a moderate workout. Sometimes it's due to low blood sugar, but more often it is due to fatigue. Humans have much more capacity in their blood vessels than they have blood to fill. During vigorous activity, the body must shunt blood from one area to another, restricting flow to non-essential areas and opening up flow to working muscles. Beginners often become so fatigued that this mechanism starts to break down and blood pressure starts to drop, leaving you feeling the way you did.

It's not necessarily the trainer's fault, although it could very well be--I can't really say, not having seen the workout. Good news is that the fact that it happened once does not usually mean you are predisposed to having it happen again.

Someone who is unfit and just starting out can improve with relatively low levels of effort. Personally, from what you described, I would say that about 1/2 of what you did is unnecessary at this point. There is zero need for you to be doing planks or med ball slams or anything like that. About 8 exercises using major muscle groups--machines or cables or some beginning functional exercise--for 2 sets of 10-12 reps will start you making progress. If you tolerate it well, you can bump it up a little each time gradually increase the sets, weights, and complexity of the workouts.

This can be difficult for a trainer (and the client) to accept at first. But both have to be patient and build a foundation that will allow the client to move into heavier lifting and more challenging workouts safely, confidently, and without injury.

(Edit: I just checked your age and that's probably another reason why the trainer pushed you a little bit harder at first--you can still start out with the basics, but there's a good chance you can progress quickly).
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I puked after my training session. Nothing to be alarmed about in my own case, I had done a lower body workout and it was the first session.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've been around high-performing & Olympic athletes a lot and have seen them throw up after pushing themselves hard. Usually when trying to beat another athlete in a hard workout session.

You pushed yourself to the limit. The mere fact that you have the mental drive to do this says a lot about your character and your commitment!

You are going to be fine, and you will do well in your fitness journey.
  • chezjulie1
    chezjulie1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Although it may sound stupid to some to just have the P.T. around for confidence, motivation, and help with simple work-outs, I've always had problems staying with it, and never really knew how to work out properly, which is why I thought it would still be Ok to get a Personal trainer, go simple for the first month and gradually move up.

Doesn't sound stupid at all. When I was working out with a personal trainer, it really helped me to be consistent with exercise. A trainer can make sure you're working out safely, encourage you to reach your potential, help the time pass pleasantly, and provide some variety to your workout.. The trainers I've had were always conscientious about asking how my muscles were feeling, especially because i have a few issues. So your trainer ought to take your feedback into account.