Protection from dogs

Options

Replies

• withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    She is ok but her little dog who runs with her was left behind when she ran away. He may live. The owners came out finally (after ignoring my friend's screams) and took the dog to the vet. Yesterday.
    attacked by 3 pits is your friend alive? I saw nothing in the news. When was it?

Terrible. :( Such irresponsible owners. I would be heartbroken. :( My thoughts are with your friend.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Thank you. She is a very strong person but I could see she was pretty shaken up.

We both are trying to focus on preventing this from occurring again and being prepared if it does.
    Terrible. :( Such irresponsible owners. I would be heartbroken. :( My thoughts are with your friend.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Small dogs tend to be my problem, and I've turned around before and swung out at them with a kick. Pretty clear by how quickly they quit that I'm not the first person to kick at a snippy dog (worst thing is that it's a house right on my street). And a majority of where I walk, people either keep their dogs on tieouts that are properly put in (there's a house that has two akita/chow mixes and a cur mix, none of which are very friendly) or in yards with fences they can't escape from (house has two GSD mixes and another has a pointer and dobe). IF dos are out, other than the above mentioned snippy dog, they're all either strays or pets that will tag along for a block then go home (but never give any trouble). But it's never the big dogs that are the problem. It's people letting their tiny dogs out and not watching them.

I do know though that a fellow walker carries a pretty good stick with him when he goes out. And I've picked up a good stick from time to time if there's a dog that does concern me (and I'm thankful for the years my dad had me playing softball, so I've got a pretty good swing on me still). In the end, if it's me leaving with a bite in my leg from an unknown dog or a dog getting whacked on the head, I'm going to take a swing at a dog.

i was in another thread and I totally read this ..."Small dogs tend to be my PROTEIN".
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    What will protect us from a pack of dogs while out running? (friend attacked by 3 pit bulls on morning jog).

Stun Guns? Pepper Spray? Loud noise? What works?
    Beef Jerky. Just toss it and they leave you alone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Love it.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    We postal carriers carry pepper spray.
  • mrsroseblack
    mrsroseblack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Authorities informed.

Not interested in a gun, would probably miss and shoot myself.

Dog mace? I will look for that.

Why don't you just run the other way? ... not near where the dogs roam?

Because no animal should have control over a human. She should be able to run where she wants without fear of being attacked.
  • doubleclick_darling
    Options
    Small dogs tend to be my problem, and I've turned around before and swung out at them with a kick. Pretty clear by how quickly they quit that I'm not the first person to kick at a snippy dog (worst thing is that it's a house right on my street). And a majority of where I walk, people either keep their dogs on tieouts that are properly put in (there's a house that has two akita/chow mixes and a cur mix, none of which are very friendly) or in yards with fences they can't escape from (house has two GSD mixes and another has a pointer and dobe). IF dos are out, other than the above mentioned snippy dog, they're all either strays or pets that will tag along for a block then go home (but never give any trouble). But it's never the big dogs that are the problem. It's people letting their tiny dogs out and not watching them.

I do know though that a fellow walker carries a pretty good stick with him when he goes out. And I've picked up a good stick from time to time if there's a dog that does concern me (and I'm thankful for the years my dad had me playing softball, so I've got a pretty good swing on me still). In the end, if it's me leaving with a bite in my leg from an unknown dog or a dog getting whacked on the head, I'm going to take a swing at a dog.

i was in another thread and I totally read this ..."Small dogs tend to be my PROTEIN".

:laugh:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I carry a billy club. (available at army surplus stores, or you can make your own). More often than not, If you take an authoritative, loud and aggressive stance and wield that club, they back off. In a pinch, you can whup the tar out of 'em. First thing is do as you've done and alert the owner and or the authorities.

I was going to suggest a baseball bat, but I think that would be awkward to carry while jogging. A billy club could attach to a belt. And no, I'm not kidding. If someone can't keep their f***ing dog on a leash AND under control, don't take it out in public. Any stray dog that comes near me growling or lunging for a bite is going to get kicked or hit, no exceptions.

I happen to love dogs, but I love having my skin intact so much more. And I own three dogs. The smallest is a teacup poodle, but has more fire in her than some men I know. I always tell people if she's backing away from you or barking, DON'T PICK HER UP. DON'T PET HER. DON'T PUT YOUR HAND NEAR HER MOUTH. She has teeth too.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    First off ....no to pistols. Unless you are a combat trained pistol shooter. Mace does not work on animals. Pepper spray does, especially bear spray, but it is a large can. In California you can not own or use a billy club, nunchucks, or a sword. So if you need a club, carry a cane or a golf club.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, like firearms, you need some training to effectively use any kind of spray.
    It's not just point and click.

For one, you have to shoot while covering your own eyes/nose.
    Secondly, what if the dog is running at you the same direction that the wind is blowing? You're going to get a face full of it.

I'd check your local laws before carrying anything to use as a weapon. It's pretty easy to earn a felony that way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love dogs. I've done rescue and shelter work. I've trained dogs. I grew up with a pack of pit bulls that were hunting dogs.

All that said, lethal force would not be excessive if actually attacked/bitten by a pack pits while on a run.

it's definitely a viable option and should be considered. A SINGLE dog attacking is one thing. A PACK? that's a totally different story- pack mentality is a real threat/issue.

I also agree- no running away unless there is an immediate safe out let like a house/tall car or something- otherwise that's just not going to work.

I'd be running somewhere else and or pressing charges on the owners- that's just so totally unacceptable.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When out on my road bike, either in a group or riding solo, my first approach is squirt them
    with my water bottle, if not I have pepper spray attached to my seat post I use.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Antifreeze_poison.jpg
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've had an issue with this lately. I have 2 dogs of my own. Last week, while running with one of mine (I always have my dogs on leash), we were followed by a GSD and a black lab who were loose. They didn't seem aggressive, but I was worried about them as they followed us down to a busy main road, and beyond. I tried all the firm "Go home!" commands, but to no avail.

This week, I was walking with both of mine, and the same 2 loose dogs started follwing us. The lab got very close to Max, my Weimaraner, and started sniffing him. Max really didnt like this, and gave a snarling warning attack. I managed to separate them, the lab ran away, but it was a scary experience.

I reported the incident to the local dog warden - but they need to know where the loose dogs live (see the fatal flaw here?)

They did say they'd patrol the area.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    What will protect us from a pack of dogs while out running? (friend attacked by 3 pit bulls on morning jog).

Beef Jerky. Just toss it and they leave you alone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    LOL! This idea sounds like it would seriously work.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Pistol. Stick. Pepper Spray.

Pros:
    Pistol is effective and final.
    Stick will work for one, potentially effectively.
    Pepper spray should be good to deter several animals.

Cons:
    Pistol - most places are just looking for a reason to villify and jail gun owners, plus you actually have to practice with a pistol to be effective.
    Stick will work for one if you have good arms for beating. If not, you'll get torn apart, and they'll play with the stick like a toy.
    Pepper spray, you'll probably get some blowback in your face. Now you're pepper sprayed too. Plus, most places will bring you up on assault charges if you accidently spray a bystander. Also, in derpy places like MA, if you're a woman or not a citizen, you won't be granted the "privilege" to carry pepper spray.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have this, its point and shoot. Just be aware of the direction of the wind. There is no mistaking which was to point.

Its made by Kimber the image is big so you will have to right click and sleet open in new tab to see the whole thing

grlpprs1000018975-gry_-02_gray_kimber-pepper-blaster_zps16005ad3.jpg
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Dog mace? I will look for that.

Bicycle shops usually have it. They might call it 'Dog control spray.'
    Expect that the irresponsible loser dog owners will be REALLY MAD that you maced their furbaby. But that's better than some dog perforating your jogging shorts and degloving your leg.
    [/quote]

This may be true, but as a dog owner who knows and cares about the laws associated with handling my dog, I would be grateful that the situation didn't turn out worse. I am responsible for my dog and it's actions at all times (that's a tough pill to swallow at times as dogs can be reactive and are not reasonable like humans) and I accept that my dog (even as sweet and loving as he is) always needs to be leashed in public and cannot be allowed to wander freely. It's my @$$ if my sweet pup jumps on a kid to give them a kiss and said kid falls and cracks their skull open. So I could see this mace working both ways...it protects you and it ultimately protects the dog owner too from having to deal with a messy legal situation. It's the owners fault if they let there dog out unleashed. I feel bad for the dog though, but I'd feel worse for you if you had a bite taken out of your bum.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who's more afraid of little dogs than the big ones? I HATE strange little dogs. I've been bitten 3 times by those little jokers. One time I was bitten literally 2 seconds after the owner said, "She won't bite."

I think OP has gotten the advice she needs, so no need for me to add anything.
    Little dogs are the WORST. Major "little dog" syndrome.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who's more afraid of little dogs than the big ones? I HATE strange little dogs. I've been bitten 3 times by those little jokers. One time I was bitten literally 2 seconds after the owner said, "She won't bite."

I think OP has gotten the advice she needs, so no need for me to add anything.
    Little dogs are the WORST. Major "little dog" syndrome.

It's because owners of small dogs don't train them. Usually their kids are even worse too. Little blighters.