Looking for clean eaters :)

Options
13»

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Although I understand completely what your saying for some people, myself included the ability to moderate certain "foods" is just not a reality.

For me eating a sugar laden treat is not possible as the physiological impact is just to great. In all honesty i have found my cure to ending 20 years of binge eating has been simply to stop eating the foods that triggers a binge response. I have found through many painful years that certain foods to be more addictive to me than drugs.

Yep, I get that. Many people have 'trigger foods' they need to avoid. If that means you personally need to cut out all processed to be successful, then it's great!

It is just for most people that kind of restriction simply doesn't work. There seems to be a wedge between the religiously clean eaters and the IIFYM crowd in this place, and the reality is there's really not a lot of ground dividing the two parties. Most of us believe in getting 70-80%+ of our foods from whole sources - plenty of fruit and veg, and lean meats and dairy (for the non vego/vegan crowd). The only difference is whether you allow the regular treats or not.

It is such a minor difference of opinion it astounds me that there is such a furor over it. Bottom line is to have a healthy diet and find out what works for you personally and run with it. Don't preach anything as THE solution, only one of many possible solutions that need to be tailored to individual preferences and lifestyles.

The difference is.. clean eater eat treats that they make themselves from whole natural ingredients, while iifym will eat any food they want. if it fits, processed or not. Clean eaters are generally against chemicals and additives, which iifym crowd seem to take offense to. Some clean eaters feel very strongly about this and speak in loud pushy voices, and the same goes for some iifym followers. Really.. clean eaters also follow iffym, we just choose not to eat the chemicals and additive or whatever we consider "fake" foods. And some iffym followers can't just leave us and our choices be, and vica versa. Hence you have the arguments.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    We don't care what choices you make for yourself.

We get uppity when people make false claims.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you have ever eaten unprocessed foods for an extended amount to time you would know why. You feel incredible without all the chemicals and nonessential stuff that is added to processed foods.

ummm all foods have chemicals in them...

All people have fat. So no use trying to get rid of any?

I don't really see the point that you are trying to make…however, based on your previous posts I am not really surprised...

Really? All foods have chemicals in them. Okay. So it's foolish for anyone to even try to avoid chemicals in their food? Do all foods have the same amount of chemicals in them? What's not to understand? This isn't that hard. But it's neat how you're including personal attacks now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you have ever eaten unprocessed foods for an extended amount to time you would know why. You feel incredible without all the chemicals and nonessential stuff that is added to processed foods.

I don't really see the point that you are trying to make…however, based on your previous posts I am not really surprised...

Really? All foods have chemicals in them. Okay. So it's foolish for anyone to even try to avoid chemicals in their food? Do all foods have the same amount of chemicals in them? What's not to understand? This isn't that hard. But it's neat how you're including personal attacks now.

you bore me but I will play ..

the original poster said they eat clean to avoid chemicals; however, all food, no matter how clean, have chemicals in them…seems counter-productive…
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

you bore me but I will play ..

the original poster said they eat clean to avoid chemicals; however, all food, no matter how clean, have chemicals in them…seems counter-productive…

Yeaaah. Okay. We have our own thread for this. And there's nothing more to explain on this one. If you think all foods have the same exposure to chemicals, then there's nothing to say. Guess Subway doesn't have a problem after all.
  • squiggysmama
    Options
    Not getting in on the debate, but you can add me if you like. I eat clean as much as possible. Not entirely, but much of what we eat we have grown ourselves, and I use natural/organic methods in gardening. If it comes in a box with directions or has man-made ingredients I can't pronounce or identify, I generally avoid it. Haven't always eaten this way, and have about 70 pounds to lose as a result. Anyone like minded is welcome to add me.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Confirmed for not knowing what a chemical is.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat almost all home-cooked meals with no white flour, sugar, white rice, etc. I try to avoid eating foods that have no nutritional value. I'm not perfect, but I do eat mostly wholesome foods. Please feel free to add me.
  • Cobb_66
    Cobb_66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started eating clean January 1st and my body THANKS ME for it. I try to eat very minimal amounts of processed foods after watching some documentaries on Netflix.. (everyone should watch Knives over Forks, Fat sick & nearly dead, and FOOD inc - life changing)

I have run into some Boredum lately with my recipes so I would love any input on switching things up. I eat a lot of fish, salmon, spinach, boiled eggs.... and Im not a big fan of chicken (thanks to FOOD inc..)....

Feel free to add me! XO

Hey!! If you're looking for some new AMAZING "clean" recipes... Take a look at the recipes at Blogilates.com. My personal favourites are the cauliflower pizza bites.. yum. I love her recipes (not so much with the baking haha), and I often change up some things and experiment myself with them (I made some to-die-for CLEAN cream of broccoli last month).

Happy eating!!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean since before anyone used the term--since 1984, with the exception of a period after becoming disabled and then again for a period after becoming injured (which is how I gained the weight). It's not restrictive to eat clean. It's really easy to do. I feel a lot better when I avoid junk foods.
    So then why are you starting on a diet that is highly restrictive?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I've been eating clean since before anyone used the term--since 1984, with the exception of a period after becoming disabled and then again for a period after becoming injured (which is how I gained the weight). It's not restrictive to eat clean. It's really easy to do. I feel a lot better when I avoid junk foods.
    So then why are you starting on a diet that is highly restrictive?

The OP has had compliance issues in the past. I generally recommend against diets that prohibit certain foods for such people.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    photobucket-13606-1335449542613_zps5bb3b93f.jpg
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm not a clean eater by philosophy but I find that I end up being a clean eater through choices based on 'calorie density'.

If I were to stop counting calories I'd probably do clean eating for 95% of my diet just to control calorie intake.

I think the reason people bash clean eating (yes, I have in the past, yesterday most likely) is the constant posts about how food X is killing you or that non-organic (to use an overloaded term) versions of the same food will make fat. People get frustrated and want to vent back.

Who cares. Do your thing, I'll do mine, and we'll both become healthier while 90% of the rest of the western world stays the way they are.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat clean but I still have things in my diet that aren't. Chocolate, wine, we eat out now and again (but at very nice restaurants never fast food) stuff I buy is almost always organic but I don't necessarily use the same thing in my diary. If I have an organic onion, I am going to pick the fresh onion I find first in teh drop down list that seems to match the calorie count of what an onion should have for instance. I have processed treaters like graham crackers and yogurt bars but again organic at least. LOL. But I mostly cook my own stuff. Even my frozen burritos are home made.
  • hdfactory
    hdfactory Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I ate "clean", but I have to being a celiac that is also milk intolerant. I absolutely LOVE crappy foods, but haven't been able to digest them well and shouldn't even try because it will cause damage to my system. But with my diagnosis comes inflammation and digestive issues which bring about weight gain. Hence, exercise and dieting. I do love that I have dealt with this for years when it was NOT popular, but now it is the trend. No offense, GFCF is actually a very healthy way to eat, but I would love to just have a slice of "normal" pizza for a change.
  • Tatyanakuster
    Tatyanakuster Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just finished whole30 which most people think is highly restrictive. But it made my body feel great and it is what works for me!

Needless to say I just wanted to post that there are great resources out there for recipes that go along with clean eating. I did not repeat one recipe the entire 30 days and still had some to spare. So do your research and you will not get bored!
  • heartsandhearts
    heartsandhearts Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We should all strive for a more consistent clean eating habit. Im all in! Everyone who isnt on my list please feel free to offer! I'll send a FR to the OP! Everyone keep up the hard work...we will all reach our goal with the awesome support of others!
  • luckygohappy
    luckygohappy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I try to eat "clean", but can't afford organic. I really try to avoid processed foods and refined carbs... it gives me more energy, less mood swings, and I'm hoping it'll regulate my hormones and help me get successfully pregnant without medication.

(ETA for anyone wanting to give me crap, yes, we've had plenty of testing done and our issues are pretty much unexplained...)