serious weight fluctuation questions

Options
2»

Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Fluctuating by 10 lbs in a day is totally normal. I retain a LOT of water, and I have had days where I will weigh 8-10 lbs heavier at different times of the day if my body decides to retain water.

People actually don't believe me when I tell them this, but I've measured on different scales & at the gym. It's just how my body is. I only track my weight once a month, even though I weigh myself every morning, I don't keep a record of it because it fluctuates so much.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I weigh multiple times a day. Mornings, after a potty break, before my shower.... I see up to 10lb differences regularly and have found first thing after going in the am is not the lowest average for my weight in a day. I know a lot of people can't even handle once a day on the scale, but weighing multiple times a day has really helped me not worry so much about what the scale says.

Since I started weight training, it's almost seems as if my weight loss stopped going by the scale. I'll stay in the same 10lb range for what seems like forever, often 2 months. Thankfully, I started long enough ago that I've got so much data available now to see that isn't really true. I'll hover in a 10lb range for a couple months, like now at 195lb-205lb. No matter what time of day, what I'm wearing, what I've eaten, I'm going to fall in there somewhere. After a month or so at TOM I'll even go up as much as another 5lb, then about 3-4 days after I'll have a whuoomp down. Then I'll get to do it all over again for a couple months bouncing around 190lb-200lb.

My clothes continue to get looser, my measurements continue to go down and my long-term reports show a downward trend. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about what the scale says.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could be holding onto ALOT of water weight.

How much water are you actually drinking?

If I was you..........I was make water your best friend for the next few days and see if anything changes on the scales!

Maybe high sodium foods in your diet... If you eat them of course!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If she were weighing in the evening, or throughout the day, the 10 pounds wouldn't be unusual. She's weighing herself in the morning though, right after getting up and before breakfast. Her weight shouldn't be fluctuating that much day to day when she's weighing right away in the morning. There aren't as many variables then, such as if she had a big lunch or dinner since she's had time to digest.

The most I've heard of just plain water weight fluctuations (again, taking into account that she weighs in the morning only, not throughout the day) is a few pounds. I don't have any sort of explanation for it, but it just seems surprising. While it's probably not a concern, it would be an interesting thing to ask a doctor or nutritionist about.
  • mrsmarley12
    mrsmarley12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found my weight fluctuations (+3lbs in a day) to be really demoralising at first. Now, I agree with other posters; I also judge by clothes and how I feel. Overall, if I'm eating at or below my calories and exercising in addition, I know I'm not putting weight on, despite what the scales tell me! Keep your chin up even when the scales are being brutal. Just keep going and your hard work will show. Good luck x
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    From a guy with over a year's worth of daily weigh ins I would seriously suspect the scales. I started @ 257. The largest single change I have ever seen (first thing, naked) was 6 pounds and that was only one time after a super high sodium day. 2-4 pounds is a normal variance for me. for about $30 check out EatSmart scales on Amazon or at the very least check your scales against a doctors or at a gym. Weight right before leaving the house wearing the same clothes you will weigh in and don't eat, drink or pee on your way there.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
    Options
    It's probably glycogen depletion and replenishment. If you eat different amounts of carbs on different days, or exercise more on some days this will effect glycogen levels. Link to a nice explanation as to what is going on here.

http://justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe change your batteries ??