No oil Vegans out there?

Are you a "no oil vegan" such as promoted by Dr. Fuhrman? The End of Diabetes. or Prevent and/or Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. M.D.

Replies

• I am. We'll sort of. I started off in 2012 with dr. F and had some good success but I have found the diet to limiting. I have a three and six year old and they just will not eat salad for dinner every day. Also I realized I was only eating six different meals and I had eaten the same lunch for six months straight. So I have added in some eggs, lactose friendly cheese, a tiny bit of meats and some veggie starches like sweat potatoes. Why do you ask?
  • drkatesdiet
    drkatesdiet Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for responding. I ask because the "no added oil" concept is knew to me and my traditional doc wants me to consume only 100 carbs a day with 80 grams of protein. She says the ETL nutrition plan will not work and she wants me to eat meat. (I have a team of doctors, one lives in AZ (I am in CO) and has demonstrated like Dr. F that diabetes can be reversed; which is my goal.

You plan sounds good. The vegan diet is very time consuming, as you know. I do know young vegan families successfully feeding their kids vegan food, but it gets harder when they go to school.

Sounds like you have a good plan.
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    I am following Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. M.D plan... 100%

It took awhile for me to adjust to the program but so far so good. I choose this program over surgery and I have not had any more health incidences. I have some labs test tomorrow and that will be a telling point of how well I am doing.
  • Mere_Dith
    Mere_Dith Posts: 17 Member
    I think getting 80g of Protein on any vegan diet while staying under 100g of carbs will be very hard. I have my macro's set to about 200g of carbs with a goal of around 80g of protein and I usually go over my carbs and rarely hit my protein target. Does your doctor want your total carbs to be under 100g or your nets carbs, meaning you can offset some of your carbs with fiber intake? You'd probably have to eat a lot of Tofu to hit those macros!

Last year I followed the forks over knives diet strictly for four months and also included a boxing workout 3-4 times per week and lost about 25 pounds pretty easily, but then summer hit and I got very relaxed and I'm trying to get back on track with my veganism and limiting oil. However some of the principles stuck with me, I still do high fiber and lower fat and mainly whole food ingredients so I didn't gain back any of the weight that I lost. Additionally, my mother who was prediabetic, had high blood pressure, and was on 10mg of Crestor, adopted the same diet, and within nine months she lost 30 pounds, is no longer prediabetic (doesn't need to monitor blood sugar), is off blood pressure medicine and is going back to the doctor next week to see if she can lower her crestor to 5mg ( believe her cholesterol drop about 75 points - it was really high). She did this without working out, just taking occasional walks and gardening in the summer!

I do think these plans work, but I think that there are many Doctors who don't fully trust them yet, so you may want to relay to them you commitment to this type of lifestyle and see if they can recommend a more fitting ratio of carbs:protein. I am not saying you should go against what your doctors are saying, but sometimes they do not know as much about nutrition as we think they do.

Anyway, feel free to add me, as I said I've not been super great at following these plans as lately but I was a stickler for them a year ago and I have added a lot of recipe and can give some advice or support if needed.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    my traditional doc wants me to consume only 100 carbs a day with 80 grams of protein. She says the ETL nutrition plan will not work and she wants me to eat meat. (I have a team of doctors, one lives in AZ (I am in CO) and has demonstrated like Dr. F that diabetes can be reversed; which is my goal.

I'd listen to the traditional doc. Type 2 diabetes can be considered as carbohydrate intolerance, so restricting the type and amount of carbs, while eating plenty of fat and protein, just makes sense.

I do know young vegan families successfully feeding their kids vegan food, but it gets harder when they go to school.

Small children should NOT be fed a vegan diet. It leads to stunted growth, tooth decay, lack of energy, protein and vitamin deficiencies... Children need plenty of fat and complete proteins to grow. Pescatarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian, OK; but NOT vegan, not until they are finished growing and can choose it for themselves.
  • Tracie524
    Tracie524 Posts: 65 Member
    I am. I just started in January. If you want to do it, I recommend the Happy Herbivore cookbooks. She also has a website and sells weekly meal plans (1200 calorie, but adjustable) as well if you don't know what to eat. I know I was a little overwhelmed when I started. I kept eating the same things because I didn't know what else to make. She is no oil and vegan.

I started because I am extremely overweight and I was afraid I was going to become diabetic (it runs in my family). I was also really concerned about my cholesterol.

There are plenty of fats in vegan foods. Peanut butter, tahini, avacado, beans, nuts, and seeds all have fat. For the adults it is suggested they limit some of these because of the extra fat in them. There is also plenty of protein.

You could start by reducing the amount of meat you eat each week and slowly scale it back.