I wake up in the middle of the night and eat.

Options
Does anyone else do this?
Did anything help?

It's really frustrating because I'll be good all day, workout, work so hard, plan everything.... and then ruin it with cereal in the night or something. I'm half awake so it's hard to make a real decision at that moment.

Additionally, I always need to eat RIGHT before I go to bed. I know this is a huge no no in many circles, but I try to leave calories so that I can permit this. I'd rather cut it out entirely but I've been doing it since I was 10, (26 now) and so it's really hard to stop. Has anyone had this problem? How did you stop?

Thank you :)

Replies

• jands7483
    jands7483 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue so I definitely feel what you're talking about. It's so frustrating. I've read that is has to do with stress or anxiety issues.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What is your meal timing like? And your overall calorie and macronutrient goals?

Try eating some protein paired with a little fat before bed and maybe that will help keep you satiated... or you know, just stay in bed instead of getting up to eat.

ETA: Eating right before bed doesn't do anything to stall progress. Meal frequency and timing is personal preference.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You can eat whenever you want. It doesn't matter if you eat right before bed. Who said you couldn't eat before bed?

I tend to eat smaller meals throughout the day so I can have a bigger dinner, which allows me to sleep thru the night without needing a snack. But if I'm hungry before bed, half an ounce of cheese or some milk or a small handful (7g or so) of walnuts will keep me from dying in the night.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I also need to not be hungry when I sleep. if I'm hungry, I wake up and eat, and as you said, don't always make the best choices. So I reserve calories for the evening and eat within an hour of going to bed, set aside something healthy and easy to grab if I should wake up hungry, record it as a snack the next day, and I made sure that I was eating enough. As soon as I start doing this, I re-evaluate my calories and what I'm eating. I make sure that I get enough protein and enough good solid food (not treats) food in general so that it stops. My thought is that if hunger is waking you from sleep, then you are legitamately hungry, find out why, and fix it.
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    what about keeping some water and a snack near your bedside? a granola bar, fiber one cookie.

i edited my original post because you said you already try to leave calories. Sometimes when I cant sleep, I want some cereal also. I just try to drink some water and get up and do stretches. seriously, my husband has never woken up lol im sure he would be like WTF. but anyways. it helps me relax and then i go to bed. or a good excercise before bedtime and your too tired to even wake up!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I also need to not be hungry when I sleep. if I'm hungry, I wake up and eat, and as you said, don't always make the best choices. So I reserve calories for the evening and eat within an hour of going to bed, set aside something healthy and easy to grab if I should wake up hungry, record it as a snack the next day, and I made sure that I was eating enough. As soon as I start doing this, I re-evaluate my calories and what I'm eating. I make sure that I get enough protein and enough good solid food (not treats) food in general so that it stops. My thought is that if hunger is waking you from sleep, then you are legitamately hungry, find out why, and fix it.

This. Appetite probably won't wake you up, legitimate hunger could. Figure out if you're getting enough food during your waking hours by calculating your TDEE and seeing how it compares to what you've been eating before you go to sleep.
  • liz_walkerrr
    liz_walkerrr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ditto on the water. I always take a bottle of water to keep on my nightstand. Also, brushing my teeth right after my last meal keeps me from snacking into the night.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more. You can eat whenever you like (even right before bed). Meal timing is irrelevant, provided the food you eat right before bed doesn't cause indigestion.

It's a calorie deficit that matters for weight loss, not when the food is eaten.

I would strongly urge you to ditch the concept of "being good" as it relates to your food intake. Language and word choices matter a lot. You are not good when you eat healthy food and bad when you don't. Just different choices. Track you food (get a food scale) and exercise, be patient, and the weight loss will follow.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What is your meal timing like? And your overall calorie and macronutrient goals?

ETA: Eating right before bed doesn't do anything to stall progress. Meal frequency and timing is personal preference.

This ^^ What is your calorie goal? If you're under eating it can be harder to stave off cravings.

But, that said, it sounds like this may be more of a problem of learned behaviors. You could try to employ mindful eating techniques to limit the need to eat in the middle of the night (one key of mindful eating is not to eat when you're zoned out or doing something else- that would include being half asleep). Limiting stress and trying to find out the cause behind your eating in the middle of the night could also be helpful.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I did this too, I don't anymore since I have broken the habit. Try reserving some calories from that day, not a lot, 100 or so. Set a banana (or something like that) and a tall glass of water out and when you wake up, eat that and go back to bed.

Rigger
  • charkokathy
    Options
    It is okay to eat at night as long as you make a smart choice.
    I would go for 1/2 a cup of low fat/sodium cottage cheese (it has natural casein which is a slow digesting protein) with a tbs of pb and some cinnoman or go for 4oz of grilled/baked chicken with tomato and cucumber.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else do this?
    Did anything help?

It's really frustrating because I'll be good all day, workout, work so hard, plan everything.... and then ruin it with cereal in the night or something. I'm half awake so it's hard to make a real decision at that moment.

Additionally, I always need to eat RIGHT before I go to bed. I know this is a huge no no in many circles, but I try to leave calories so that I can permit this. I'd rather cut it out entirely but I've been doing it since I was 10, (26 now) and so it's really hard to stop. Has anyone had this problem? How did you stop?

Thank you :)

Have you told your doctor about this? Maybe he can give you something to sleep through the night.
  • lindsey082
    lindsey082 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing! Any ideas?? I went to stay in a sleep center, but nothing major was found. I also find if i have someone in bed with me I do it less frequently. It just started like a year ago! I have gained almost 15 pounds!
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    You can eat whenever you want. It doesn't matter if you eat right before bed. Who said you couldn't eat before bed?

I tend to eat smaller meals throughout the day so I can have a bigger dinner, which allows me to sleep thru the night without needing a snack. But if I'm hungry before bed, half an ounce of cheese or some milk or a small handful (7g or so) of walnuts will keep me from dying in the night.

^^^^^^ This.
    First you need to decipher whether you are eating emotionally or if you are indeed hungry.
  • Beccajo2004
    Beccajo2004 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and someone asked if I was taking sleeping pills...I was. Are you? Every time I take them I sleep eat. Sometimes I don't even realize what Im doing and it never mattered what or how much I ate during the day
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Are you taking Ambien?

Nocturnal eating is a known common side effect of Ambien.
  • Bmbohn
    Bmbohn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that sometimes the feeling of being hungry (when you know you aren't) is due to being thirsty and needing water. So I decided that everytime i woke up and thought i should eat something I would drink (all down) an 8oz glass of water and then right away go back to bed. ( I start out with the glass next to bed.) If i didn't fall asleep and still thought i was hungry and needed to get up. I would do it all over again.

It worked.

ps - i'm not taking any pills.