NEVER been to a Gym, Going Tomorrow. So scared, HELP PLEASE!

Options

Replies

• linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I understand that! I thought that people woud be looking at "that fat woman on the treadmill"! But then I realized that most people are so absorbed in what they are doing, they don't really pay attention. I applaud you for getting started! :)

^ This. And I often make a total idiot of myself at the gym (fall over on squat or push-up practices, pant like crazy on the treadmill). People are pretty much just focused on themselves so they don't really care too much about your specific shenanigans. And on the off chance that someone does say something to you or stares, (I don't think they would-it's a gym of adults, not high schoolers) just brush it off. Haters gonna hate. Just cover yourself decently as others have mentioned here.

If you are curious about a workout or a machine, feel 100% free to ask the staff or a trainer. I do this all the time with quick 1-shot questions about my form or working a machine and they're all glad to help you if they have the time.

Oh, and stretch. Before and after. Helps a lot with soreness the next day in my opinion.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I understand that! I thought that people woud be looking at "that fat woman on the treadmill"! But then I realized that most people are so absorbed in what they are doing, they don't really pay attention. I applaud you for getting started! :)

THIS^^^^
    I hit my head last week on one of the machines, then this week I almost fell off one of the seated machine, then when I started walking on the treadmill my music started.. AT FULL BLAST! and I almost fell then also!
    Just remember you are there for you not them and they all started out not knowing either.
    If you can afford it work with a trainer for the first few weeks or find a buddy to go with you
  • Nessaleesee
    Nessaleesee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been a gym go-er since college but I'm always nervous when I start at a new place because I never know where anything is, like the towelettes for wiping down the equipment or the ladies locker room. I second the advice of ask questions of trainers and regular gym-goers - but if that makes you too nervous, just stick to one machine at the back of the gym and just get the lay of the land for the duration of your cardio workout. Definitely try the free weights or machines during your first couple of trips (there are usually instructions and diagrams on the machines themselves). I'd actually counsel against doing a class like high cardio dance or kickboxing or step during your first week unless you've done them before or if you have a friend to bring along - classes can be kind of intimidating and, as a regular class-taker, I've seen newbies walk in and get SUPER uncomfortable. Bottom line - just know yourself and use that knowledge to set yourself up to win.
  • motivatethismom
    motivatethismom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can not thank you all enough for taking your time to talk to me! I have read each and every one of your responses! I will be sure and update tomorrow. The appointment isn't until later afternoon so I'll try to get back on here tomorrow evening once I get the kids settled and all and give a brief update. :-)
  • beedracass
    beedracass Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, a couple of years ago I started working out at a gym I was about 250. First I worked with a personal trainer, but I didn't like him. I started reading a book called the new rules of lifting for women. I decided to give it a try, and I really liked it. At one point the plan needed me to use the free weight area of the gym. At the gym I was going to, the only people in that area were huge body builders, all men. I was so intimidated. I stressed about the day I needed to start doing dead lifts, and squats. My husband thought I was crazy , I couldn't sleep and I got sick every time I imagined my self making a fool out of myself. I almost stopped following the plan. The day came, and I sheepishly headed over to the squat rack. It must have been clear I was lost, because several of the men offered to help me. I even got to a point where I asked some of them to show me how to use the equipment. To my delight, they were so helpful, and friendly. After that I was over there several times a week, and eventually became really comfortable amongst all the super fit dudes. Any fears you have are really in your own head. No one is watching, or judging you. Even if they are, don't let it bother you! You are stronger than you think, and you pay your dues just like they do. It's your gym too. I really want to get back to lifting again, now that I've finally gotten my butt in gear and lost some weight. Enjoy your time there, and be proud of yourself for going! :happy:
  • Weighting4results
    Options
    I was going to say walk in and punch the biggest person there. You know prison style!
  • piercedee
    piercedee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The trainer/manager was so nice, he said the first session of training is free but he said he would help me our a few times until I got the hang of it. What if he is busy at the times I go? Ahh I worry toooo much I know!

Ask people who look like they know what they are doing. Try not to interrupt in the middle of someones workout but many regulars were first timers too once and are totally willing to help explain something.
  • peripie
    peripie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do not sign a contract is my recommendation. Gyms are very competitive and are all sizes. I have a contract with Golds Gym and it costs $60.00 a month. N
    ew people come here with no contract and pay $10.00 per month. Shop around for no contract gyms and if you don't like them you are not obligated.
  • beatepeate
    Options
    A very clever and intelligent comment. I will tick that box for positivity when I set my foot inside the gym as a rookie. Thanks for sharing!
  • bellamom1
    Options
    You will do great! It won't take long to figure out the cardio machines, and the trainer will help you out. You'll learn how to use weight machines and free weights. When I first started, I was overwhelmed by all the advice on form and couldn't remember everything I learned in my session with the trainer. It's OK to take notes to be sure you remember, and don't be afraid to ask if you can come back for reminders or help. You may have to purchase another training session, but it's an investment in your long term health, confidence, etc. it's definitely worth it. Good luck!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Read this... :)http://ericamillard.com/?p=1566
    Its called "Dear new girl at the gym" and its spot on. Go for it, you'[ll do great

I loved this!

OP, try not to worry about it too much. You're going to be fine. We've all been there - and I'm still there. :)
  • runr4fun2
    runr4fun2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. Your trainer will be with you every step. I just joined in Dec. I started slow and increased workouts as I became more fit. Every trip you make you will become more comfortable. I do find the gym to be crowded afte work. So if you dont want crowds select off peak times. It is easier to get the equipment you want to use without waiting.
  • mcrooks550
    mcrooks550 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Just go in there with the mindset that you are there for you and no one else. Stick to the machines and excercises tha you know until you are comfortable trying something new. Go to youtube and view different exercise machines to get instruction on using them before you go. Hope this calms your nerves a little. Good luck.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Well mine's kind of encouraging...

I came close to passing out the first 10 times I started back exercising again.
    And I cried.
    In front of a whole class of people.
    Twice.

Encouraging, right? :laugh:

Now 3 years later, I have my own wee little home gym with spin bike, bench, adjustable weights and I think to myself sometimes "who was this chick that cried?"

It WILL get easier. Trust in that.
    Good luck, you're investing in something awesome....yourself! :drinker:
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    1. Ask yourself what your goals are and how you think you can achieve them. Do you just want to use the treadmill? Are there specific areas of your body you want to build some muscle? Focus your energy on what you want to do once you actually get in there, because if you don't have some sort of plan it will just make it worse. Maybe look online for some sort of a workout plan you think you can follow.

Here's what I did at first: Start out on the treadmill or elliptical if your gym is situated in a way where you can observe what others are doing so you can get an idea of how to use some of the machines. I started out on the machines and worked my way up to free weights.

2. Remember most of the people there are in the same boat as you. They're too worried about what they're doing to pay any attention to you.

3. Be polite, if someone is standing by a machine you are using, ask if they are waiting for you or if they want to share.

4. If you're sweaty, wipe it down when you're done with it. I try to wipe everything down regardless, but I'm trying not to overwhelm you.

5. Don't try to do too much too soon. Start off really light and focus on form.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What, exactly, are you scared of? What is the worst thing that could happen?

Ask yourself that, and make yourself answer. You'll find that your fears are largely groundless, with no substance.

Potential things that might happen:

You don't know how to work the treaddy. So you ask someone, and they show you. -No problem.

You accidentally drop a weight with a loud clank. A few people glance up, then return to their business. -No problem.

Someone corrects you on your form. You thank them and learn something valuable. -No problem.

No problem.

No problem

No problem.

The very worst that could happen is pretty mild compared to how panicked you're getting about it.
  • motivatethismom
    motivatethismom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So today is the day! Boy am I still so nervous! :-/
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Looking forward to you reporting back afterwards! Have fun! :drinker:
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Can't wait to hear how you get on. You'll do great :o)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Saw this video and thought of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpqKknfijM

Never be afraid of the gym.