Trim Healthy Mama - Fad?

Options
OK, so I have a friend that INSISTS that the Trim Healthy Mama "life" is THE way to eat, lose weight and get healthy. I haven't read the book, only seen every snippet and review I could find on-line for a few hours. It seems like just another fad diet with Stevia/Truvia in place of sugar, special, expensive flours in place of all-purpose, and only eating this food with that food and not with that food. My friend says it's backed by science - hard science - but so are a lot of fad diets! Anyone read it with opinions?

Replies

• foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah, fad diet. It's great that it works for her, but there is little science that backs up that eating certain foods with others and buying more expensive, "special" versions of food are any better. Common sense with nutrition is key, and counting calories. You have already lost quite a bit, (great job by the way!) so just be polite to your friend. Obviously, you have been doing what works for you. No need to change that.
    Reminds me of a friend who really pushed ViSalus shakes on me, saying they where "scientific." Comparing the ingredients and nutrition value to other shake mixes, it's no better. Great for the people it works for, but it's just a more expensive version of other similar products out there, Also, I tried them for about a month, and they do not keep you any fuller than any other shake mix, and personally I have much better results and energy by simply eating correctly.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

Losing weight is "simple": expend more calories than you take in, eat healthy, unprocessed foods in proper portions, drink water, and exercise.

I don't think I need a 600+ page book with lots of silly names - Sorry to anyone who likes those names! LOL - and wonder where I'm going to get expensive, strange ingredients and combining that food with what food.

Just wondering if there's ANY validity to it since it's SO popular in my "circles".

Anyway, thanks! I'm slow-and-steady with the weigh loss!
  • FaithHope76
    FaithHope76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it! You absolutely do not need any special foods to be successful. The key to loosing is not eating carbs at the same time. I was unsure too, but I tried it before even buying the book and began to loose. I read snippets from the book on Amazon and I was sold. The recipes are so good, so easy! Check out their FB page to see hundreds of moms posting pics of before and after for their entire families!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Ugh i saw this on a blog and it looked ridiculous. Endless list of rules of what foods you can't eat at the same time. Stupid.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ugh i saw this on a blog and it looked ridiculous. Endless list of rules of what foods you can't eat at the same time. Stupid.

My thoughts exactly.

Don't know why people complicate things so much :noway:
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Anything that's advertised as "BIBLICAL WISDOM MEETS MODERN SCIENCE!" makes me go

QR8zo5J.gif

Just eat reasonably, watch portions, move around a bit, and be happy. You don't need a book to tell you that.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    is there science in the book to support it's religious commentary too?
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree, there are lots of diet methods with "hard science" behind them. Probably all of them work, too, *if* you can stick to them forever. I personally have never succeeded at getting rid of entire food groups and greatly prefer eating less and/or lighter versions of whatever I want/like.

I have a friend who is a "diet pusher" who emphatically kept pushing me to try the South Beach Diet and she insisted I could lose 20 pounds in the month before my wedding. I was already looking good & fit into my dress, and losing 1-2 pounds a week. Why the heck would I mess with slow and steady progress for something she hasn't even been able to stick to for long stretches of time??!!! She's still overweight but insists it will work for her "once she gets back into it."

I need long term strategies I can live with, thank you well-meaning friends!
  • JessyLovesJCS
    Options
    I'm a friend of the FB group...and loving the success. But what about those that aren't successful? A lot more can be learned from them! And my understanding is that if you post anything negative about THM the authors boot you off lickety-split!

I think ANYTHING can work! After all, THM DOES limit calories and carbs and has portion control...just like any other diet.

My other concern with THM is all the processed sugar alternatives and flours you need to use! I would have to have them specially shipped in since I'm VERY rural!

I just can't see anyone sticking to THM forever...but my friend insists you can. Glad I'm not alone! But for those of you who it works for - yay!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Well, if it helps you, and you are able to comply with it, then it's great!
    Compliance is really the issue.
    And some of these "ways" of eating can be helpful, or just a big huge over-focus and distraction.
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're correct , IMHO, MinMin97 : "COMPLIANCE is really the issue" and the issue with every diet. If one is compliant with the program then results likely follow. Once compliance wanes.....so do results.

Lifestyle and dietary adjustments, when repeated, can become habits. Habits, once formed, don't necessarily require compliance. It's a given. You just 'do it'. It becomes a reality for healthy living.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Anything that's advertised as "BIBLICAL WISDOM MEETS MODERN SCIENCE!" makes me go

QR8zo5J.gif

Just eat reasonably, watch portions, move around a bit, and be happy. You don't need a book to tell you that.

This x1000. :laugh:
  • MinMin97
    Options
    I have to say I have Serene's old recipe book, Rejuvenate Your Life. It is no longer in print. It's raw food recipes....I had an absolute blast using that recipe book, and the food was DELICIOUS! I'm so glad I learned how to make vegan cream cheese (so YUM!), and dehydrator bread. I go through phases of making these recipes.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Fad.
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I kept seeing it on FB too, so downloaded the book out of curiousity. I have a bunch of picky eaters at home, and thought it would be great to find something we could all try (which they tout). I was utterly confused by it. Sort of a combo of food combining/low carb/low GI stuff. To me it had a lot of rules. I couldn't figure it out. I work and didn't have time to stay home baking special breads for it. Then I got to the chapters in the book about "marital relations" and I was outta there! LOL!!! I'm happy for those it works for, and glad they've found something that is helping them out. I'm much happier tracking on MFP and having success!
  • Lewre78
    Options
    I love Trim Healthy Mama. It was confusing at first, but really easy to get the hang of. Simply don't mix fats with carbs and make sure both the carbs and fats you do eat are the healthy, good for you ones. I feel so much better when I'm eating right! Not hungry or craving sugar and chemical laden food, less moody, more rested, definitely more energetic. I don't count calories with THM. So, that is a definite plus. I feel it is definitely something I can live with long term and be healthy. I consider fad diets to be diets that cause more harm than good in the long run. I don't see that happening with the THM way of eating because I'm fueling my body with everything it needs and not leaving nutrients out of my diet.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    Options
    I'm glad it works for some...but I simply can't see it working for me long-term. :)
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My doctor just told me to give up calorie counting and recommended this plan to shock my body. Hypothyroid, PCOS, no loss for 3 months at 1200 calories or less net per the doctor. Increased calories led to 10 lb weight gain so this was his latest suggestion. He went on and on about carbs and spiking blood sugar and fats and how they shouldn't be combined. I thought I was following him, but the more I think about it the more confusing it is. Basically, he said no carbs with fat, eat protein... I think.

So naturally, I rushed home and looked it up and find it terribly confusing (and expensive to buy the book and special ingredients). Is it my flu-addled brain or is it easier than it looks and worth the money? My family wouldn't get behind it at all and it obviously won't fit our budget if I have to buy special things or separate meals and it sounds too time-consuming, but thought I'd still ask for any new opinions on the plan.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    My doctor just told me to give up calorie counting and recommended this plan to shock my body. Hypothyroid, PCOS, no loss for 3 months at 1200 calories or less net per the doctor. Increased calories led to 10 lb weight gain so this was his latest suggestion. He went on and on about carbs and spiking blood sugar and fats and how they shouldn't be combined. I thought I was following him, but the more I think about it the more confusing it is. Basically, he said no carbs with fat, eat protein... I think.

So naturally, I rushed home and looked it up and find it terribly confusing (and expensive to buy the book and special ingredients). Is it my flu-addled brain or is it easier than it looks and worth the money? My family wouldn't get behind it at all and it obviously won't fit our budget if I have to buy special things or separate meals and it sounds too time-consuming, but thought I'd still ask for any new opinions on the plan.
    That was some weird wording from your doctor as well.
    I find no reason to make getting fit a big ordeal/trauma/stress. It needs to be sustainable, and it needs to work for you. I find an all-or-nothing approach to making changes something I could only do as a single person with basically only myself to think about. I just do the best I can and keep making progress in some area always.
    I have their old book (out of print) which just contains a great collection of recipes....salads, dehydrator breads, desserts. Honestly it's my favorite recipe book, and some of the most delicious eating I have ever done. It was also some of the most fun I have had preparing foods ever, it was a really fun adventure! I have not seen the new book. I am sure it would be fun....just maybe see if you can find some of the recipes on pinterest of something, and try them for fun and joy!
  • MinMin97
    Options
    I love Trim Healthy Mama. It was confusing at first, but really easy to get the hang of. Simply don't mix fats with carbs and make sure both the carbs and fats you do eat are the healthy, good for you ones. I feel so much better when I'm eating right! Not hungry or craving sugar and chemical laden food, less moody, more rested, definitely more energetic. I don't count calories with THM. So, that is a definite plus. I feel it is definitely something I can live with long term and be healthy. I consider fad diets to be diets that cause more harm than good in the long run. I don't see that happening with the THM way of eating because I'm fueling my body with everything it needs and not leaving nutrients out of my diet.
    I am glad you are enjoying it, that is important!
    I must admit, it sounds really strange. I mean seriously these are Christian women. And is this really consistent with what is in the bible? Seriously I doubt this. I'm a Christian, believe the bible cover-to-cover, I don't understand where they are coming from on this.
    However, if it is something a person is enjoying doing, then fine!