Can I eat whatever I want if I stay under my calorie goal?

Options
So I am wondering, I have heard people say that you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay under the set amount of calories. Is this true? Can I eat things like pizza or dessert if I stay under my calorie goal and STILL lose weight?? Thanks!

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    to some extent yes.

The issue is if "whatever you want" winds up being all carbs- you're going to have a hard time functioning- this is why we say- if you hit your macro's who cares what it is.

So get your macro's straightened out- ball park hitting your protein/carbs/fat- and keep at your calorie goal and it's win win.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's that simple.

However, if you're sensitive to sodium, consuming foods high in sodium can mask a loss on the scale. Also...while it's not necessary to eat heatlhy to lose weight, I've found that overall I feel better if I do.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    Yes. But keep in mind, that can be a lot of calories. In my own weight loss, I have to figure out what's "worth it". For example, an appetizer with friends? That came out to be a shocking 450 calories. 1/3 of my daily calories isn't "worth it" in my mind. I'd rather have a much more fulfilling meal for that amount of calories.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Strictly for weight, yes.

For health reasons, I wouldn't recommend it. Aiming for your macro balance is a decent starting point.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes.

But it would still be in your benefit to make sure you get enough protein and fat, and adequate vitamins and minerals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes!

You'll find that you can eat more food (volume) if you also include the good stuff like vegetables, fruits, fish, lean meat, etc. But keeping calorie calories in check is the important thing.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    to some extent yes.

The issue is if "whatever you want" winds up being all carbs- you're going to have a hard time functioning- this is why we say- if you hit your macro's who cares what it is.

So get your macro's straightened out- ball park hitting your protein/carbs/fat- and keep at your calorie goal and it's win win.

^^^ Agree,
    And you will most likelly see better results if you eat whole foods instead of processed crap, and feel better in general
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Pretty much.

Watch your sodium, though. Don't go overboard with other macros. Basically what JoRocka said.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say... YES!! Just like everyone else on this topic! But I find that if I am eating clean.. I can eat more. But it's life...and occasionally I just want a cupcake!!!
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    to some extent yes.

^ ^ ^ Agree 100% It's the behind the scenes macro's that usually cause problems/confusions for people with their goals
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If your goal weight loss then yes. If your goals are health, body re-comp and performance then it gets a little more involved...
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Use the nifty "Search" feature in the forums and you'll find a whole slew of posts on this very topic.

Good luck discerning the good info from the bad.
  • lowfatveg
    lowfatveg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes. I like my puddings so still have them, I do try to eat healthy but I enjoy a little junk to :tongue: not really junk as I do try make a lot of things myself from scratch then I know what's in it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes and no...maybe so...

This is all largely about energy (calorie) balance...you consume less energy than your body requires then your body has to dip into fat stores to make up that difference...thus you lose weight. That said, nutrition is important...lack of proper nutrition can result in certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies as well as hormonal imbalances...these things can interfere with your weight loss.

I generally recommend a well balanced diet that is rich in nutrition...and then have some ice cream for desert and going out for pizza on Friday night or whatever. I do not recommend just eating **** every day.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yes.

As others have mentioned, you'll probably feel well-fueled and most satisfied if you keep an eye on your macros (protein & fat especially) and aim for a balanced diet. But yes, you can eat anything you want to hit your calorie goal.

I eat pizza at least once a week, and I have some form of dessert every day. I also tend to eat lots of veggies to add volume to my meals and keep my fiber up. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes. But like everyone said, you will soon figure out that you need to eat more filling foods if you want to manage to stay under your goal without starving.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    to some extent yes.

^^^ Agree,
    And you will most likelly see better results if you eat whole foods instead of processed crap, and feel better in general

I saw the same results no matter what I ate. The difference is veggies and lean meats and the like tend to allow you to eat more, thus feel fuller longer for the same number of calories. In terms of weight loss it won't make any difference as long as your calories are in line.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes - called IIFYM ( If It Fits Your Macros). Here are some great posts compiled by one of the main moderators that explain a lot about IIFYM, setting your calorie goals, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    So I am wondering, I have heard people say that you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay under the set amount of calories. Is this true? Can I eat things like pizza or dessert if I stay under my calorie goal and STILL lose weight?? Thanks!

You can eat pizza and dessert. A calorie is a calorie. Weight loss is math.

Can you eat whatever you want and stay under your calorie goal? Probably not all the time. I ate whatever I wanted for years and... I got fat. I know there are things that have a fair few calories but don't satisfy me very long. I have been known to knock down half of one of the BIG bags of gummie bears in one sitting. LOT of calories. But I burn through those calories fast and when I crash, I REALLY need something to eat. So I wouldn't be able to do that and stay under my calorie goals. Maybe someone else could. I couldn't.