Push Up Training. I need help!

Options
Any one having any tips on training for push-ups. I can't do 1 push-up, but I plan on joining the military, therefore, I NEED to work on this. I have been practicing by starting off with doing push-ups on the bathroom corner and doing about 10-15 a couple times a day. Does any have an suggestions?

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try the hundred push up challenge: http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.EHQeXh9n.dpbs

You can start with whatever push-up you are capable of right now, be it wall push ups or knee push ups. The most important part will be to not cheat on form. Don't stick your butt out or go halfway down.

The military has some pretty serious tests so you will eventually need to transition to full push-ups (no knees) I believe, in order to get to certain ranks. That's all second-hand knowledge so I might be wrong about that.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. :D

Right now, I'm using a bar (like, a serving bar at a bar lol) that we have outside. It's the tallest secure point in the house that isn't a wall. I do push-ups off of that. Since I'm so far out of shape, I do 20 reps 3 times, twice a week. Once a week I do a 2-minute burst just to see how far off regs I am. Once I can reach the 18 year old male standard for push-ups on the bar, I'll move down to a step (maybe... 6-8 inches), and start over. If you do the 20x3, and you don't feel it, do more reps or sets. I don't like doing them on the wall, because I can't figure out the right wrist placement, so I gave up. Basically, use anything that's elevated to give you some relief while you work on form and technique, so that the weight you're pushing isn't as big of an issue.

Also, varying had positions will work different muscles differently, and can be very helpful. I'm told (my husband is Army) that you can vary your hand position during the test, so may as well get it in as practice.

You can also attempt things like plant and just holding front leaning rest. It will give you a good core workout and work the stabilizer muscles that you need to develop.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    Try the hundred push up challenge: http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.EHQeXh9n.dpbs

You can start with whatever push-up you are capable of right now, be it wall push ups or knee push ups. The most important part will be to not cheat on form. Don't stick your butt out or go halfway down.

The military has some pretty serious tests so you will eventually need to transition to full push-ups (no knees) I believe, in order to get to certain ranks. That's all second-hand knowledge so I might be wrong about that.

You can't do knee push-ups at all. Besides, I HATE them. My knees always hurt, and I don't find them to be terribly helpful. <_<

OP~ if you want to friend me, I'd be happy to talk with you more. I've got a FB group as well where I'm posting different exercises and things my husband gives me. No clue just how far out of shape you are, but I'd be happy to share my rather easy starting plan. lol I'm really out of shape. <_<
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    Ahhh!!! I peeped and saw where you are from. My husbands last duty station was Ft. Knox. I miss it out there. :-/
  • jnb143
    jnb143 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

THANKS! I'll look into this!
  • jnb143
    Options
    Ahhh!!! I peeped and saw where you are from. My husbands last duty station was Ft. Knox. I miss it out there. :-/

Thanks for the input!
    I'm trying to get out of this place! Although I live in Louisville, I've spent some years on Fort Knox. My dad retired there a few years back.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do mine on my treadmill. I think the key is to slowly add more. Right now Im doing 15 a day (started at 10), but Ive done it so that I slowly ad up to 15 a day, then I started adding sets. I was doing 3 sets of 15 when I started doing real ones. My guess is that the big key is that you add more, even when you dont feel like you can, but just keep trying and when you get it, up it again.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

Thanks for the input!
    I'm trying to get out of this place! Although I live in Louisville, I've spent some years on Fort Knox. My dad retired there a few years back.

:laugh: I love living there, and being a civilian there. I pray that I never ever get stationed there.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    The Hundred Pushup Challenge should help. The important thing is to keep doing them, a lot of them, several times per week.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Keep at it on the wall, doing more every day. When you can do 12 upright, then move your feet farther away from the wall and do them from there until you can do 12. Keep that up until you can do one on your knees on the floor and keep adding reps. When you can do a bunch on your knees, move to your toes.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    For those that don't have the upper body strength, put yourself in front of a wall at a sharp angle and push yourself up from the wall. The sharper the angle, the stronger you're getting.

I wish you well. I served my time, and my daughter just left for boot this week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    progression

walls
    counter
    stairs
    desk
    chairs
    floor

whatever you have available- work your way down- this will be a process- several months long.

Do sets of them- through out the day- and keep working on it- if you have stairs they are the best because you can do some on stair 6 then do someone stair 5 then move back up to 6 all in one set of working.

It takes time- but it's better than doing knee push ups- doing stuff on your knees has it's place in training (que bad jokes) but really to get to a full push up it's better to do them elevated and not broken.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Video yourself doing them and then have a knowledgeable person critique them. :)
  • jnb143
    Options
    For those that don't have the upper body strength, put yourself in front of a wall at a sharp angle and push yourself up from the wall. The sharper the angle, the stronger you're getting.

I wish you well. I served my time, and my daughter just left for boot this week.

Thanks!
    Good luck to her! I hope she does well!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    progression

walls
    counter
    stairs
    desk
    chairs
    floor

This!

As well, try negatives... Start in plank position and lower yourself, then stop, reset and lower again.
    But start on the wall, and then move to stairs eventually .. and then you'll get to the floor on knees. Try 1-2 on your toes, then go to knees. Next time, try to get one more on your toes!

You'll get there!!
  • running_tall
    running_tall Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This is great. I've been in the same boat. Trying on my knees, but even then...not going all the way down. I'm gonna find an angle that I can do the complete movement, and work from there! Glad I came across this! :)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Try this

Set yourself up so when you are in the resting push-up position (high plank), your heels are pressing against the skirting board.

Now, when you lower yourself down to low plank, make sure you are driving your heels into the wall behind you.

Then, when your sternum is about a fist height from the floor, push back up with your elbows brushing your rib cage and not out at angles from your body.

You may find you felt stronger doing it this way? Driving your heels backwards like this helps you to take the intensity away from your upper body.

Men tend to use upper body, shoulder and arm brute strength to do push-ups, whereas women often have much better form because they learn to use energy and mechanics more efficiently.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I second www.hundredpushups.com

BUT, it helps you do more pushups, you really have to be able to do one first. Stairs are a good way to work up to doing a military pushup. Start on the lowest step on which you can do a pushup with good form. Do a few sets of as many as you can. After a week or so, try moving to the next step down, if you can.

Eventually you should work down to the floor. Then go to the web site and work on doing more.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Military Veteran here...

Everyone above has given great advice. Learn and master the pushup; you'll be doing lots of them. If you don't get good at them, they will MAKE you good at them. Basic Training is not the time to "get in shape". If you wait until then, you'll hate life.
  • Kattzmeow51
    Options
    Bumpity-Bump :flowerforyou: